PXL_20230529_195059538.jpg

I've never even heard of a 3357, no wonder they didn't match
Body shops 🙄
Some new matching 3457s in the Milan
Oil change, Kirkland 5w30/910s
The Cadillac also got an oil change
AmazonBasics 0w20 and a GM PF66 filter
Still waiting on that nationally backordered EVAP purge pump

Took off the belt tensioner on my fiancé's 94 Cavalier which required also taking off the alternator and power steering pump. A new OEM AC-Delco tensioner is on the way from Rockauto.

A couple of weeks ago her alternator went out after only 6 months and 6,000 miles. It was a brand new Duralast Gold alternator. I got the new one installed and took it about a mile down the road and heard something slapping under the hood. Serpentine belt was coming off the power steering pulley and ripped about half of the belt off. This was a new belt as well as a new tensioner installed 6,000 miles ago when the other alternator was installed. Duralast lifetime warranty tensioner.

When I went to re-install the belt after getting the new alternator on and was rotating the tensioner, it got toward the end of its travel and then kind of stayed there and didn't spring back like it was supposed to and didn't feel right. I forced it back and it seemed like it was okay but obviously not.

Instead of putting another Duralast tensioner on it, we decided to try the OEM Delco one which is the last one Rockauto had and has taken over a week to get. Hopefully it shows up soon. 6,000 miles ago I went through two Duralast tensioners before I found one that wouldn't strip the belt off. Junk aftermarket parts.

Engine and hydraulic unit oil change on a friends Terrimite Backhoe today. Oil in the Kohler engine hasn't been change in ages, but it smokes more than a bong, so it has had several top-ups.

Local Napa actually had the good stuff. Rotella T4 10w30. Napa 21348 for the Kohler, and a 1551 for the hydro unit. Yes, owners manual specifies 10w30 engine oil for the hydraulic's. 4 gallons total between engine and hydro's.

Mn2DqGD.jpg

n9glfev.jpg

XLUNxil.jpg

Also came home and planted a couple hydrangea's in the spot where I cleared the evergreens and TV antenna.

V9J9VUx.jpg

Finished up the 4L60E Build last Thursday (Installed, Broke-in, Thoroughly test driven with a pressure gauge). This unit was rebuilt by a transmission shop 15 months & about 8,000 miles ago.....The 3-4 Frictions/Steels, 2-4 Band, Bushings, SunShell, Seals/Gaskets, TransGo SK kit, & a rebuilt Converter is all that was done. The Pump, Valve Body, Reverse Input Drum, Input Drum, And Reaction Shaft were all trash.

Had to sacrifice a low mileage 4L65E Pump, Valve Body, & Input Drum to make it happen, Was able to reuse the TransGo SK kit & SunShell.
Used my tried & true hydraulic calibration along with a Vette 2nd Servo, Band set @ .040" clearance, Blocked 4th Accumulator, 3-4 Clutch set @ .028", Blocked TCC Regulator Valve, .490" Boost Valve, TransGo high-rev pump rings & primer spring.
Very nice shifting unit!!

SgbmWRU.jpg

6kqr6tf.jpg

V6mhHNG.jpg

Trying to diagnose the lack of blower fan in the 2022 John Deere 318G. One day it worked, the next there is nothing.

The fuses all looked good so I popped the cab and dug into the hvac. There is a little harness in there with three relays. Looks like each one runs a different fan speed and they click when you change the speed. Cannot find a typical blower motor register though but some sort of little control unit. Opened it up and nothing clearly burnt on it.

I'll call up the local dealer and see if they can tell me where the resister is located. Otherwise, I have to bring it in, which sucks because this is a critical peice of equipment.

Today is a paid holiday for me. Parts and service closed but sales open at my dealership. Greased dads truck. I hate doing that it’s a very messy job. Today was worse cause I’m covered in mud now lol. It poured down over night and was thundering and lightning. Had a weird dream last night that kinda fit with the weather too haha. I probably won’t elaborate on that here cause I’d sound super crazy haha. Next day off for me will be July 4th which is also a paid holiday. Didn’t want to grease his truck but he wants it done and the dealer never does a good job they grease the stuff up top just nothing underneath but still charge for it. Might try and pull my car out later with my Escape or truck still haven’t had a chance to work on it. I want to get it on ramps and the transmission pan dropped to see if I can figure out this transmission problem.
Your dream was Jim showed up and said “Blake, I’m related to you!” He also said you need more Chinese food and you HAVE ATO BEG FOR IT.

I can see it

Your dream was Jim showed up and said “Blake, I’m related to you!” He also said you need more Chinese food and you HAVE ATO BEG FOR IT.

I can see it
Lol. I sure wish it was that. I’d love to sit down with Jim for some Chinese food haha. The dream I found rather strange I’ll elaborate even though I sound totally crazy, it was me having my truck stolen then I reported it stolen and the police found it and stopped it and it turned out to be D.B. Cooper who stole it and he bribed them with cash for him to remain anonymous and not go to jail and then he brought the truck back to me and paid me not to say anything. I have no idea why or what brought this dream on but it was rather weird. In fact I woke up after it to see if it was truth or reality haha. I told all my coworkers about it and they told me I was a crazy nut and they had to look up who D.B. Cooper was haha.

As for what I’m working on today lots of after Memorial Day oil changes and tire rotations we had to help the lube techs out which isn’t a big deal they worked hard today so that was good. Also done a boatload of flat repairs today. Had an irate customer because his tire wasn’t repairable I’m like sorry sir it’s just the regulations we have to go by. He went off on me, the service advisor and the boss. He went next door to Advance Auto and got a plug kit and told us he would fix it himself. The boss didn’t make it till about 11am because there was a huge wreck on I-81 this morning that killed 4 people so traffic was a standstill for hours we had many delayed appointments because of that which put us working into lunch. They didn’t punish anyone that was late because of it. They paid them from their scheduled time too.

Tuesday and today
Pulled the engine out of a wrecked 1991 Chevy Cheyenne 2500, 5.7 TBI, got it on a stand and started stripping the long block. Surprisingly the truck only has 87k miles and the engine runs great, it's new home will be in a 1981 Chevrolet C30. I'm not doing the install but I am degreasing the engine, resealing it and painting it. The reseal includes installing a 1987 4 barrel intake manifold, as it's made to fit the 87-95 TBI heads without modification, new head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, oil pump, timing set, timing cover gasket, mechanical fuel pump and rod retrofit, front oil seal and rear main seal. I got it cleaned and the heads removed today, they'll be serviced by the local machine shop.

This afternoon I replaced front brake pads and rotors on a 2015 Toyota Camry, rotated the tires and changed the oil

Just got done mowing the back yard on the rider. Walked earlier for 23 min. and burned 219 calories according to FitBit. My Ozarkian battery rejuvenation is still working 2 months later. Today it started without the choke.

I'm going to start working on a Craftsman 50145, 3.5T floor jack. The jack was my father's, only (hardly) used at his home.

The issue is that as soon as the pad has any weight on it, it stops lifting. There's no resistance felt in the handle.
  • There is zero evidence of external hydraulic fluid leakage.
  • Removing the plastic (it's supposed to be rubber, yes?) there is fluid visible. I don't know if it's all the way fill.
  • No visible bubbles in the fluid.
I'm going to see if topping up the fluid and bleeding helps. I have the recommended equivalent Coastal Hydraulic Jack Oil (Mobil DTE13M).
Finally found time to work on the jack.

The cylinder took ~25cc of jack oil (I used a needle and 5cc syringe to minimize the mess) to top up.

Before topping off:
  1. Closed the valve and raised the ram until what I think the bypass (over travel valve? for lack of a better term) kicked in. Then I lowered the ram.
  2. Repeat (1).
  3. Removed plug and topped off the cylinder with the ram lowered.
  4. Measured the plug hole diameter (~5/15") with a transfer punch and refit the plug.
  5. Repeat (1).
  6. With the ram lowered and valve opened, pumped the handle 20 times (full travel) per the manual.
  7. Repeat (5) and (6).
Tried lifting the Safari. The front end came off the ground but it took a lot of pumping (I don't know if this is normal behavior...the jack is a quick-lift model if that matters). Once the tires cleared the pavement, the van slowly lowered with the valve still closed.

I suspect the jack is still pushing air. I ran out of daylight so I'll pick this up (no pun intended) maybe tomorrow.

I may order a 5/16" oil cup to replace the plug as it's a three handed operation with needle nose pliers and a 1/8" blade screwdriver.

or

Any comments, further instructions are welcomed.

Some Taurus work. It needs a water pump?, it is spraying from the weep hole.. will be fixed June 8th (shop, DIFY. Key is to find a good quality water pump that isn't junk. Maybe Motorcraft maybe a reman..... I'll trust them.)

So, as such, we have an unofficial flush, Part 2, going on. G-05 has been introduced. RMI-25 used. I believe the RMI-25 is partially responsible for this frothy and mostly water mix.

We also have the AC looking good. On the higher side of pressures, for sure.. I now know from a Ford Tech Makuloco video that a worn compressor can need them. At least that is what I think I saw. The test is if it gets cold in the heat.

New filter cut-open coming up, as well.

20230601_061340.jpg
20230601_061349.jpg
20230601_061356.jpg
20230601_061410.jpg
20230601_061814.jpg
20230601_061817.jpg
20230601_062043.jpg
20230601_061822.jpg
20230601_061909.jpg
20230601_063242.jpg

Some Taurus work. It needs a water pump?, it is spraying from the weep hole.. will be fixed June 8th (shop, DIFY. Key is to find a good quality water pump that isn't junk. Maybe Motorcraft maybe a reman..... I'll trust them.)

So, as such, we have an unofficial flush, Part 2, going on. G-05 has been introduced. RMI-25 used. I believe the RMI-25 is partially responsible for this frothy and mostly water mix.

We also have the AC looking good. On the higher side of pressures, for sure.. I now know from a Ford Tech Makuloco video that a worn compressor can need them. At least that is what I think I saw. The test is if it gets cold in the heat.

New filter cut-open coming up, as well.

View attachment 158877View attachment 158878View attachment 158879View attachment 158880View attachment 158881View attachment 158882View attachment 158883View attachment 158884View attachment 158885View attachment 158886
That pressure number is meaningless on the ac. Was it a static value? If so, what does the temperature-pressure chart say it should be? If it’s dynamic (operating), and the compressor is engaged, I’d say you’re overfilled given the cool and beautiful weather in NJ. using a garbage gauge like that and no high side is a recipe for getting air in the system and ruining it. I’d get a shop to pull a vacuum and refill by weight if there are any concerns or issues. Air in a system raises pressure and doesnt carry oil. Endlessly connecting a cheap setup like that to an AC is a recipe for introducing air…

That pressure number is meaningless on the ac. Was it a static value? If so, what does the temperature-pressure chart say it should be? If it’s dynamic (operating), and the compressor is engaged, I’d say you’re overfilled given the cool and beautiful weather in NJ. using a garbage gauge like that and no high side is a recipe for getting air in the system and ruining it. I’d get a shop to pull a vacuum and refill by weight if there are any concerns or issues. Air in a system raises pressure and doesnt carry oil. Endlessly connecting a cheap setup like that to an AC is a recipe for introducing air…
And the compressor is engaged,

Well guess what. The AC compressor only engaged when I did this.
(To your point, the compressor was not engaged as I never checked that until an hour ago. It is 79 degrees here, "feels like 80" and Google says humidity 47%. It's definitely a very nice day out.)

First time jumping a compressor with a paperclip. Now I'm trying to get it to engage in a normal manner.. (maybe it froze up?)

Shop is a last resort, they like to say "You need a new compressor" it's a money-maker for them! "AC work in the summer..."

I was going for the "High end of within range for ambient temperature." Its 79 here. We are in different parts of NJ it is for sure a beautiful day. Im active.. AFAIK the values shown are for when operating, yes. (The shown gauge picture was for when I thought I was filling up the system and it turns out the compressor wasn't coming on.)
71tx32ALEXS.jpg

20230601_124629.jpg

Back