What are you working on today?

Dakota is out of the backyard. Greased the ujoints, fluid filmed a few sections and put the spare back. They actually soldered the wires for the trailer but just taped the wiring. Cut it flush and used some liquid tape, will retape and loom when the correct harness shows up. I'm pleased with the repairs.. it's starts right up now and the brakes are amazing. I might actually like the Dakota now.

Put in a new ignition switch on an old Ford 5600 Tractor. Luckily I had a service manual that showed what the wires going to the original switch were from. The new switch was an aftermarket one and configured a little different. It ended up working so that was good.

Thursday

1967 Ford Mustang
Lower control arm assemblies, front sway bar links, starter solenoid, oil change

1998 Ford F-150
V6 truck replaced starter

In Regina since yesterday. It’s cold here, compared to Toronto. Going to help girlfriends mom clean her backyard due to apples from the apple tree.

Then I’ll cut the grass for them and then drop off her sister to the airport for her trip to NYC.

16627312182478741849979893769285.jpg

2012 Ford Explorer panoramic sunroof. The glass was busted and while it still had the shade motor, it was missing the sunroof motor.
It looks as if someone had tried to get into it as two of the 10mm bolts holding the sunroof assembly was missing as well.🤔 There’s 26-10mm bolts holding it up counting the ones on the braces on each side at the center.
Oh well, for $300 we got the whole assembly from LKQ and I’m tossing it in.
It’s not really a hard job, just tedious getting all of the trim and everything out of the way to completely remove the headliner.
F3C1EF53-B57D-47B3-BCC8-E04AD88B8D70.jpeg
D60988BF-C87E-4374-80A7-D1EA32B42946.jpeg

Replaced the idler pully and accessory belt tensioner on the transit connect at 200,055 miles as one of them started chirping. I should have done it at 180k miles when I did the water pump but that was last fall I think, all I remember that it was cold.

Front brake job and tune up on a 2017 Ford Transit. It was a 3.7 so the plenum had to come off, still not too bad but the 3.5 EB is a cake walk to do plugs on in those things.

Passenger side window regulator and several dash trim pieces on a 99 F150

I really need to find out why my Mustang feels like it has a tire out of balance...its not bad, but it is driving me crazy. Instead I am going to the mountains and going hiking for 2 days with an old friend. We are taking his Mustang 😛. Im gonna cheat and take the car to discount tire on Monday for my rotation and see if the vibration changes at all.

Replaced the AC compressor, condenser and lines on my wife's 2018 CRV. Factory one was completely siezed and sounded like it was full of rocks when you shook it.

Probably check the valve clearance this weekend sometime.
I'm disappointed to hear that level of A/C system failure on a 2018

Honda has had major A/C issues for a decade now, you'd think they'd get to the bottom of it?

I tried to remove bolts on an exhaust flange on the xB, to replace a gasket
...didn't come out, but I kinda expected that
So I get to go to the exhaust shop tomorrow, and probably pay $200~ to have the flange cut out, and a flex pipe welded in
Yay 🙄
Oh, and I found the major clunk from the rear wheel, the Raybestos Element3 pads are rattling around severely in the pad bracket
So I warrantied them, and I'll cough up the $10 for the OEM Toyota fitting kit
Maybe they'll stop screeching so badly once they're tight fitting
I also ordered quick struts for the front (both pissing oil) and the rear shocks (thought that was the clunk)
All original suspension @287k, I suppose it was time 🤷‍♂️

I need to prepare the xB for daily use, because my sister has been without a car since she crashed the Milan 1 month ago, and Uber/Lyft is adding up 💰

Oh, and I went to the body shop, Project Milan is totalled
They want $6500~ to repair it, no subframe or unibody damage has been found
$3500+ in parts, because the salvage yards aren't exactly flooded with 2010/2011 Milans, and many parts are discontinued from Ford
I'll go back and forth with State Farm, try and hype up the value, then I'll bring the body shop the money and they'll begin
I also might front her the money to expedite the work, and return it to savings when the check comes
She will make up the difference from what insurance pays to what the body shop requires to make it whole again

I'm still quite disappointed in her, this being the second car she's totalled in ~18 months

But our lives/jobs in our area pretty much demand a car, and I'm not gonna see her fall behind on spite

Nor would I wash my hands of the matter and see her fall into a god awful BHPH lot

Maybe being without a car/driving the xB will teach her some humility, that I can't perpetually pull first class yet cheap cars out of thin air 😐

Maybe as reparations/exchange for not having to pay a rental car bill, she'll pay for some remedial work on the xB

An in house rental if you will 🤔

One after the other in DEF problems.
SPN 5246, DEF Level Red and Low indicators flashing, red ENGINE STOP light illuminated, 5mph derate.
Not shown is the driveshaft on the floor that means it had to be towed back from the other side of the mountain.
C03D60C7-ECCA-4108-90B6-EE77C633A6C4.jpeg

I'm disappointed to hear that level of A/C system failure on a 2018

Honda has had major A/C issues for a decade now, you'd think they'd get to the bottom of it?

Man your telling me. This is my first Honda and catastrophic compressor failure was not on my list of expected issues plus it almost stalled out the car when it happened. It runs r1234yf too so $45 a can for refrigerant. My SIL's 2009 CRV actually lost it's compressor the other day too so it's kinda being a thing it seems.

Local dealer and other service here sucked. Wife brought it in cause I was out of town when it happened. Dealer wanted 2k just for the compressor and also suggested several other services for 100k miles while it was there.
700 for a valve adjustment
900 for the water pump
200 for brake fluid.
200 for transmission fluid
They also lost the caps for the ac ports and forgot to screw the air filter box shut after inspecting it.

My son’s 2013 Corolla S 1.8L with 109k. All parts are OEM from dealer.

spark plugs
thermostat
serpentine belt
engine air filter
cleaned MAF sensor
coolant drain and fill

Back