What are you working on today?

Went through over 20 pounds of 134a today, Gettin' ready for the weekend no matter the cost!!

Had to work on the GT500 after everyone went home.....

8pdbUZ9.jpg

IkQjB2d.jpg

377BE5J.jpg

7aMDRGK.jpg

PzOQzND.jpg

EUY10u8.jpg

Now I'm sitting inside cooling down, because I **** near passed out outside
RealFeel of 99° today
Apparently your supposed to take it easy after donating blood 🩸
I'm not a smart man sometimes 😵‍💫
My sister's Milan burned out a headlight, so I thought I'd pull the bumper cover, wash the condenser, and cut down another set of 9011s
PXL_20220806_211712612.jpg

PXL_20220806_212151902.jpg

The bumper cover hit the ground, and so did I 👀
I'm gonna go rest inside, probably reassemble later or tomorrow
I'm disappointed they only lasted 1 year, but I guess it's a small price to pay for superior performance

RealFeel of 99° today
My sister's Milan burned out a headlight, so I thought I'd pull the bumper cover, wash the condenser, and cut down another set of 9011s
I put the bumper cover on the ground, and I went down with it 👀
I'm disappointed they only lasted 1 year, but I guess it's a small price to pay for superior performance
I donate blood and used to do it Saturdays. Since I'm always doing something on the weekends, I switched donation days to the week, so I won't be stopped ;-). Rest up and do anything else tomorrow!

I just went to Costco and picked up 50 boxes of Laminate flooring. It's always out of stock. Made two trips 27 boxes the first time and the other 23 they had left right after. I was soaking wet with sweat after unloading the boxes in the garage.

17 bags of Cyprus mulch, at what, 50lbs per bag? (Wet). Onto the cart. Into the truck. Out to the lawn. That’s about 2500 lbs moved around. My heart rate monitor said 156bpm sustained through all that in the heat.

and applied the aerospace rubber treatment mentioned in the detailing thread on 3 vehicles. I’m not sure it’s going to hold up any better than 303 in any kind of weather, at least as an appearance dressing.

wish I could attest to something more “ooooo, ahhhh,”-worthy, but today it’s just the normal stuff.

Started to feel a clunk like a bad u-joint, worn guibo, or worn out diff when slowing down in the X3. So was going to check the driveshaft. Then the 4x4 light came on for a few second on two occasions, but cleared itself. So transfer case motor plastic gear came to mind.
Had to remove the crossmember, but otherwise easy as pie. Pulled the assembly, popped the cover, replaced with a new carbon fiber gear and oodles of @Pablo grease.
Test drive = no more clunk.

Hole after removal. The crossmember is dropped and heat shield pulled down.
transfer case 1.jpg

Old nylon gears and new graphite and nylon gear. Assembly interior cleaned of old, black, grease.

Transfer case motor.jpg

my sister has a 2006 Corolla but doesn't give it a whole lot of love...I try to take it when I can (with her permission :LOL:) and check out what I can to help it live longer...cleaning foggy headlights (I only get the car for a couple hours and there is much to check) is one thing I did yesterday...another is checking filters and fluid levels etc...I've never seen a car go through Cabin Air Filters like this one...she drives it about 4500 miles a year but where she drives has had a lot of road construction lately and it is parked outside 24/7...she gets less than 12 months on a CAF but the engine AF lasts a few years...
fullsizeoutput_975.jpeg

my sister has a 2006 Corolla but doesn't give it a whole lot of love...I try to take it when I can (with her permission :LOL:) and check out what I can to help it live longer...cleaning foggy headlights (I only get the car for a couple hours and there is much to check) is one thing I did yesterday...another is checking filters and fluid levels etc...I've never seen a car go through Cabin Air Filters like this one...she drives it about 4500 miles a year but where she drives has had a lot of road construction lately and it is parked outside 24/7...she gets less than 12 months on a CAF but the engine AF lasts a few years...
View attachment 111641

What was used for the headlights ?

Don't remember my last update, but Monday went as smooth as it could:

Starter on a late 90's Land Cruiser

4x4 stuck in 4H on a 2005 Expi. Found a broken wire just below the auxiliary fuse box mounted to the core support

Hoisted back to back Prius' so my service writer could get pictures for insurance. That's right: stolen cats. The spendy, coolant-heating type that the 3rd gen (?) came with

Finished up a clutch on an 8th gen Civic. The thing only has 41k, but the owner is so old that he owes Father Time a refund. Literally has a walker in the back seat. He didn't just burn the clutch to the rivets... he completely melted the friction material off the clutch disc itself. I told my GM flat out that I wouldn't warranty the job outside of something directly caused by my workmanship. I won't be responsible for someone destroying my work simply because no one has the scrote to lay it on the line

Otherwise, I sold a P/S pump and pressure line on a Focus that's so rotten it shouldn't even be on the road... gotta love MN!

Started smoking over the 78 C10 today. It's going to get almost everything brake related front and rear.

Got the rear brakes done on the C10. Rear shoes, hardware kits, wheel cylinders. Turned the drums. Replaced the rear brake hose. Hard line across the rear axle is in good shape and gave no trouble.

Also replaced front pads and rotors on a 2016 Chevrolet Malibu.

A whole lot of nothing lol. Just watched my work children and worked beside a state inspector who knows how to use the headlight machine. He doesn’t use it often but you are supposed to use it on every inspection but no one does haha. Take the test again on Thursday hopefully will pass this time. After that I gain a $2 an hour raise and don’t have as much expected from me haha. I’ll turn my work children over to whoever I choose them to be with and be on my own. I like them but man they get annoying especially using my stuff one of them needed a screwdriver today I went over and took care of the issue because I’m tired of letting people with no tools borrow stuff so I’ve been slowly phasing that out. Also showed my boys how to use a rivet gun. They were all looking at it like it was a space contraption lol. I walked over and said what you haven’t used a rivet gun before? They all replied with nope. So I gave them a demonstration. We always have to put tag brackets on used cars so that’s what we need a rivet gun for I really need to get one I just know everyone else will want to borrow it lol. The way I see it is the same way my uncle who is a mechanic sees it is if the person is buying tools they are free to borrow what they need but if they aren’t making an effort to buy any then they are just taking advantage and don’t deserve to borrow it.

Reactions: JC1
RealFeel of 99° today
View attachment 111413
View attachment 111414
The bumper cover hit the ground, and so did I 👀
Well, that was a swift 48 hours
Slowclap for my sister 😭
My disappointment is immeasurable
PXL_20220809_222941849~2.jpg

I really hope it's not totalled
After all the blood sweat and 💰 I've put into it
I cannot financially or mechanically assist anymore
She's an adult, with her own money, she'll have to figure this out for herself this time
No one was hurt, it was fairly minor, but I'm at my end
This is the second car I've done up for her in the past 2.5 years 😒
I was gonna do a 1 year update thread with all the little things I've done to it recently, but that clearly isn't gonna happen 😳

Heck of a day today:

Started by tearing in to an '04 Passat 1.8T that's getting a Kardashian makeover: Pads and rotors on all 4 corners, a complete front end rebuild kit (all 8 control arms, sway bar links, outer tie rods), both front CV axles, and a TB/WP service.

Bunch of diag, nothing crazy. Standard "makes this noise, felt this vibration" kind of stuff.

I did have an interesting scenario RE: steering rack replacement in a '14 Explorer. I'll make a separate post for that tale, however.

Back