What are you working on today?

Today: radiator replacement on a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix and a pinion seal/differential service on a 2001 Ford F-150.

Today: radiator replacement on a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix and a pinion seal/differential service on a 2001 Ford F-150.
Do you just pop in a new seal and torque the pinion nut, not worrying about the crush sleeve? I know this is SOP but it always feels wrong to me....

not today, but this past Saturday,
While my brother changed the Blower Motor resistor in Dad's Escape (THE FAN HAS 4 SPEEDS AGAIN!!)
I replaced the front passenger door power window switch in Mom's Taurus. ( you don't have to ask the driver to roll your window up/down!)

He's skinnier than I, And accessing that resistor was far more body origami in the driver's foot well than i was able to do.

I’ve been tinkering with cars since elementary school. I have many hours of sitting “upside-down” in the drivers seat, with my feet over the shoulder rest and my head in the pedals. It seemed so easy then. I could probably get down in that position today… and get stuck.

Reactions: D60
Today: rear brake shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware kits on a 1995 Chevrolet S10. Also turned both drums. Started lower intake manifold gasket job on a 2003 Buick Century.

A whole bunch of used cars at work. Didn’t have very many appointments. For some reason there has been an abundance of no shows recently. Oh well their loss I guess or they fell for their buddy doing it cheaper lol. At home I replaced the fuel filters in both riding mowers. I swear I had a Monday moment even though it’s Wednesday because I forgot to clamp the fuel lines on the first one lol 😂. I sure did remember to do it on the second. Also got our mower running that hasn’t run in awhile ever since we ran over a board and messed up the self propelled system. Just a full pulls and it started right up. I’ll look into fixing it. It was only 2 years old when we messed it up lol. The mower is common in our neighborhood seems everyone has the same one. Just one neighbors has a different engine because her and her son thought the mower had oil in it out of the box and the bottle was just extra… lol that’s a story for another day but yeah it’s pretty funny haha. I’ve really gotten more into small engines since researching for a new weed eater lol. Happy with my purchase and look forward to working on it in the future. There are so many great YouTube videos for small engines too.

I sharpened a set of blades and replaced the dull ones on my mower. Then I cut grass for 2 hours.
20220804_163844.jpg

Some progress on the GT500....

Thought the factory twin disc clutch is pretty cool., Too bad they sent the wrong alignment tool in the Ford box. It uses the same input spline & diameter as a T-56.....But the Pilot Bearing is a larger ID. I have a T-56 Input Shaft but still thought I was boned without being able to center the Disc's to the Pilot Bearing.

Took a minute too think cause I don't want to buy tools for a GT500, Duh....The captured clutch disc HAS to be centered or assembly would be impossible.....So I used the T-56 Input to align the both the disc's together not worrying about the Pilot Bearing. Trans slid on like butter! Though I will still bleed & actuate the Clutch before firing it.

sSy4xM4.jpg

34yeeJ4.jpg

cDVxm9W.jpg

Pq7jBpu.jpg

A client had broken out the rear window on a Branson tractor. They brought me piece of polycarbonate they had ordered and said "make it work"

It's far from perfect but it'll work
Looks good

I hope you charged him appropriately.

Did it really save him money? (And yes I'm guessing buying OEM is not cheap)

I forgot to add a funny story about the oil change on my freshly powerwashed driveway in perfect weather.

Unscrew (labeled BTW) engine drainplug (no plug washer!) hot hot urine shoots out, hits channel baffle in brand new plastic pristine rectangular drain pan, does like a perfect eddy current swirl and flies around two feet in firehose fashion right onto concrete beyond where I had laid out two layers of cardboard. WTAF!! Just swept up the Oxy-clean and cat litter I ground into it (which seemed to get most of it). Now soaking in liquid cleaner, will repeat and then let the sun break it down.

Vortex-street-animation.gif

The reason Amsoil was not in there is yet another unauthorized oil change and a messy one at that. Some shop my wife took it to.........for some other work.........long story.

Last edited:
Looks good

I hope you charged him appropriately.

Did it really save him money? (And yes I'm guessing buying OEM is not cheap)
I wondered that myself. I'm gonna charge about 3.5 hours because even though I'm slow (in general) I had no template to reference. I was left guessing at size as it tapers from 32 to 36" wide top to bottom.

Figuring out where to place the lift struts was a real fiasco and I was zooming in on other 4520's for sale on various ag classifieds. I'm confident I got it close enough so as to not matter significantly in operation

It doesn't seal at the bottom corners because presumably the OEM glass had a slight curve to it.

And yeah, I have no idea what OEM would cost if you could even find it. In my limited experience the Branson/Century stuff is still expensive and just more difficult to find because they don't have the market presence of Kubota or JD

Today I finished up the intake gasket job on the Buick. I've got a 1978 Chevrolet pickup sitting outside the shop that's getting the full brake treatment, but I'm not touching it until Monday.

Back