What are you working on today?

View attachment 105776
Practiced with this machine. It’s pretty confusing. I have to learn how to use it for the second part of the state inspection test it’s ridiculous but it’s what Virginia wants you to know despite no one uses it. I should of taken a before picture before I cleaned it off. Dirt was just caked on it lol. Mostly practiced state inspections today. And took care of my “sons” as the boss calls them lol. They can’t preform a simple oil change and tire rotation by themselves mostly because they lack proper tools. In my opinion if they don’t have tools they shouldn’t be working in a shop. Part of the reason is they use a two man system on the lube rack so it’s two people on a team one guy doing the paperwork and then the other doing the dirty work. When I done it I was always a paperwork guy I don’t desire to change oil in stupid stuff lol. I don’t know how I accomplish everything with my sons always hollering for me because they screwed something up, can’t get an oil filter off, or just plain lazy lol. Shop manager got tired of dealing with them and since I’m the technician trainer I get stuck dealing with it lol. They sat the paperwork in my box and messed up a placement of a ratchet. I gathered the whole shop together to explain to them that nothing in my box will be out of place and there certainly will not be any paperwork or dirty air filters sitting in the top either. They didn’t like me after the conversation but if you are going to use my stuff you are going to follow my rules and those are my rules. My 28 year old son is the worst about it lol 😂. Good thing it’s not real life son haha a 20 year old having a 28 year old something might be wrong there haha. He doesn’t have any tools he is fresh out of the military and my 18 year old work son has tools and is about $6,000 in debt with Snap-on and Matco but he doesn’t have any type of oil changing tools most of his money went to a box or stupid stuff lol.
The shop should provide tools for LOF guys if they're going to hire people without tools.

The shop should provide tools for LOF guys if they're going to hire people without tools.
I totally understand your point D60. Some employers like mine want you to have your own tools.

few shops around my area will provide tool for oil change/state inspection techs that don’t have inspection license. But after 60 days, tech better have state inspector or emissions inspector license or it’s bye bye

Just did a long camping & dirt biking weekend, need to clean the air filter and do some other checks/adjustments on the trusty old XR.

Bleeding the brakes the proper way, with an old juice bottle and having the wife scream on the driver's seat. :ROFLMAO:

P_20220627_151555.jpg

P_20220629_170238.jpg

Refilled with ATE SL DOT4. Also changed the rubber seals from the MC.

View attachment 105872
If your tire has a slow leak
Don't fix it, just put air in it every day
Be a man 💪

I also ordered a new set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus

We'll see how improved they are over this set of the older non Plus models
Back when I was fresh outta college driving pies for Domino's I did plenty of that along with putting a charger on my battery every night. It wasn't a parasitic draw so much as a REALLY weak battery that just wouldn't hold a charge overnight

Well my Friend bought a 2010 Jeep Liberty with the skyslider roof and it actually works in both directions, that’s pretty rare.
He was bragging on it and how well it drives, and to his credit, it does drive very well.
Then I asked him if he noticed that the heater core had been bypassed.
Nope. 😏
Oh well, no big deal. So I got into it this morning and stripped it down for a thorough detail while I was at it.
4575AC1F-897C-4A44-ADD3-3EA6C6A25809.jpeg

Well my Friend bought a 2010 Jeep Liberty with the skyslider roof and it actually works in both directions, that’s pretty rare.
He was bragging on it and how well it drives, and to his credit, it does drive very well.
Then I asked him if he noticed that the heater core had been bypassed.
Nope. 😏
Oh well, no big deal. So I got into it this morning and stripped it down for a thorough detail while I was at it.
View attachment 105883
Well, I guess you might as well do him a favor and swap out the heater core while you do the detail. LOL that’s awesome.

View attachment 105872
If your tire has a slow leak
Don't fix it, just put air in it every day
Be a man 💪

I also ordered a new set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus

We'll see how improved they are over this set of the older non Plus models
@michaelluscher - post up what you think of the dws 06 plus when you get them. I really wanted to like a prior set that drove so Great but had a really prominent sing-song on the highway in my car. would love to know how this next version performs!

I’m working on @Wolf359 ’s favorite car - my buddy’s 212 with the 276 engine. So far I have done the spark plugs, LOF, and tire rotation. If I can squeeze in a trans service and front brakes, that would be ideal, but we’ll see.

It already has 177K miles on it and is a 2016. 😳

Attachments

• 96757370-61B4-4895-B936-12C31E2C501E.jpeg
    96757370-61B4-4895-B936-12C31E2C501E.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 54757D37-8AD6-4017-BFCE-872E948F7AD7.jpeg
    54757D37-8AD6-4017-BFCE-872E948F7AD7.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I’ve done some oil changes and stuff so far. Lots of Subaru stuff lol. Also done a few Mitsubishi which I don’t mind as they don’t make me angry like domestic stuff does lol.

I’m just happy because I got a raise. $2 an hour more and if I pass my state inspection test next week I get $2 more dollars. They let me know how much they appreciate everything I do for them like staying late and never ever calling in or missing and always being there when no one else has been and that I let the whole shop use my box when I don’t have too. And he said that even though I’m still young that I’m a great mentor to the younger people and he sees a natural technician in me. Let’s just say I was scared like heck when the boss tapped me on the shoulder saying step into my office. I thought I had messed something up lol. He did tell me yesterday I want to talk to you tomorrow which frightened me then too lol 😂. I respect him very much but now even more. He did give me some advice to just speed up a little bit because I am slow but I acknowledge that and I will work in anyway I can to be more efficient. My main issue is tracking down my stuff because everyone is always using it. So I’ve had my mind on that all day lol. Being happy and now thinking of how I can speed up.
Of course you will always hear time is money, but I'd appreciate someone being more effective than just more efficient. Speeding up a bit can cause things to be overlooked at times.

Well, I guess you might as well do him a favor and swap out the heater core while you do the detail. LOL that’s awesome.
I think I might just do that. 🤔😂
I’ve done a few of these heater cores before, they’re really not too difficult. Fortunately, this Jeep needed a good cleaning on the inside before we could sell it, so it worked out good that the seats, console, and trim were all coming out anyway. I think the people that owned it before must have starved to death, nothing they were eating made it into their mouths, it all ended up on the seats and carpet. 😒

635C6F8B-3856-4BE5-80B5-3EC3A0DE2B6A.jpeg

F3BD2856-2FEA-4558-B39E-800D44145069.jpeg

Got the “hard” bank done.

Also found that the harness was misrouted during the harness replacement last year. The ME connector has rubbed into the vacuum line. Not sure if I’m going to fix it or take it back to the dealer.

0E73E82B-EECF-40E0-B096-8CFA07278503.jpeg
286E8365-82C0-4FB4-A005-A7BEA8DC04A0.jpeg

Picked up the kids VR6 Jetta the other day from a local Euro service shop. Replaced the radiator, alternator and power steering suction hose. In less than 10mi of driving, the car died. Went to begin diagnosis yesterday and found the battery to be near death. Pulled it and charged overnight. Now to get the battery back in and poke around to see what the shop screwed up.

Wife's Jetta is getting new rear pads this evening.

And my CC got midly rear-ended on the commute to work this morning. Thankfully the guilty party actually had insurance.

Picked up the kids VR6 Jetta the other day from a local Euro service shop. Replaced the radiator, alternator and power steering suction hose. In less than 10mi of driving, the car died. Went to begin diagnosis yesterday and found the battery to be near death. Pulled it and charged overnight. Now to get the battery back in and poke around to see what the shop screwed up.

Wife's Jetta is getting new rear pads this evening.

And my CC got mildly rear-ended on the commute to work this morning. Thankfully the guilty party actually had insurance.

Awesome week. The cherry on top is that nearly half of my workforce has the 'rona. Hooray summer '22!

Back