What are you working on today?

Replaced OEM rotors and pads on the Elantra. Made it 76,841 miles. Pads were down to 3mm, but the rotors probably could've stayed on. I got a good deal on new rotors, so I decided to replace them anyways. Raybestos pads and rotors went on, and are nice and quiet.

Mowed and edged the yard. Fired up the smoker as well and made some pork belly burnt ends. First time trying them and wow, they're good. Very rich, but really good. All in all, it's been a long day and I'm wiped.

IMG-1629.jpg

Attempted to replace the exhaust elbow on pops truck. Got every bolt broke loose after 3 days of spraying with Kroil. Except these two on the bottom clamp. Rounded off the one on the right also cracked a brand new Snap-on 9/16 socket trying to get it off and it rounded it. The socket has been replaced under warranty once now it’s about to be again haha. Can’t get a good angle with vise grips because of where it’s at and how close it is to the other one plus it’s so tight that I don’t think I could get it with them anyway. Will get my extractors and put on it. Just the one tool I didn’t bring lol. I also hammered a socket on it and done nothing more than round it off a little more. Luckily the clamps get replaced anyway. If worst comes to worst I’ll cut it off. And they are pre formed so no putting anti seize on them. I will use anti seize on the new guillotine clamps though. You should always use anti seize on any exhaust bolts. Also took off the old cb antenna mount. He has a new one to put on there which is already on and set up.

You need HEAT (Oxygen-Acetylene), Before you rounded the bolt heads!

Today
Turned front rotors and replaced front pads on a 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, and changed the engine oil. Also took some time to run some numbers on my 283 parts. I've got a '62 and a '64 block, and both have forged steel crankshafts. Got the ol gears turning in my head now.

I haven't seen many small journal SBC's have Cast Crankshafts.

I haven't seen many small journal SBC's have Cast Crankshafts.
I haven't seen any myself, but I've read there were cast 283 cranks in some engines after 1966. The forged is far more common. The numbers on both my cranks verify they are forged units for a 62-67 283, and for 67 only 302.

Helped my buddy with his ‘65. its got a carter 4bbl on a rebuilt 327, I’m guessing it was a quality street build by a guy who used to be known for excellent work among enthusiasts…. 30 years ago. Found a receipt for 3-way valve grind among other tidbits. Car has sat for a few years - gas smells like varnish and the carb spat fuel out the top like a fountain. Pulled it twice until we got the floats unstuck and adjusted right, polished the needles and guides with steel wool, gave it half a twist in the idle speed and poured fresh gas in the bowls to help get it to catch. after all of the attempts that went between those steps, it starts as quickly as a fuel injected vehicle; pops right off. And he poured some fuel reconditioner in there for old gas - not sure what it was, but it idled on its own after all that.

the smoke from a pre-emissions vehicle? I don’t miss that. The old iron is great - but we’ve also come a long way.

brakes next - because weve not found one good part. Frozen and leaking calipers, and the MC is shot, and one of the hard lines is leaking.

Helped out my Brother in Law with my Nieces 2008 PT-Cruiser, Failing Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM).....Fuel Pump would randomly lose power.

He's too cheap to buy a new one & used ones aren't worth buying. So I wired in a Relay & Fuse to totally bypass the TIPM. Talked smack to him the whole time about how cheap he was & how he was a POS for putting his daughter in this rolling death trap.

I hurt his feelings pretty good as he left before I got done, Leaving my Sister & Niece to drive the death trap home, He was supposed to stay & help me grill some Tablitas & Chicken Legs......Probably for the best cause I was pretty irritated with him & would've continued to verbally abuse him.

DUWymzA.jpg

pivVdKI.jpg

Helped out my Brother in Law with my Nieces 2008 PT-Cruiser, Failing Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM).....Fuel Pump would randomly lose power.

He's too cheap to buy a new one & used ones aren't worth buying. So I wired in a Relay & Fuse to totally bypass the TIPM. Talked smack to him the whole time about how cheap he was & how he was a POS for putting his daughter in this rolling death trap.

I hurt his feelings pretty good as he left before I got done, Leaving my Sister & Niece to drive the death trap home, He was supposed to stay & help me grill some Tablitas & Chicken Legs......Probably for the best cause I was pretty irritated with him & would've continued to verbally abuse him.

DUWymzA.jpg

pivVdKI.jpg

That poor young woman... I would never willingly allow a GROWN adult to drive a 15 year old PT, let alone a young adult! I still have 3 regular customers who own PT's, we're slowly killing them off 1 by 1.

That said, it looks like everyone had a productive weekend! As far as side work goes: I replaced the LH outer tie rod end on my WJ and did a quick toe-and-go alignment. Camber was dead on spec: -.03 on the left and -.01 on the right. The toe adjustment sleeve was a BEAR to get broken loose (as was the tie rod at the beginning), but given enough heat and the biggest pipe wrench I could find I got her done.

Next project of the weekend: steering stabilizer on a friend's '02 WJ. 160k, never been touched. I got the clamp end bolt loose relatively easily, but the frame end fought me good. In the end, all went well.

As far as Monday at the shop went, I busted out somewhere around 20 hours book time between 830 and 430. Four wheel pads and rotors on an A3, plugs/coils/VC gasket on a RAV4, and a steering rack and pump on a Buick Enclave. The Enclave alone paid 13.7, knocked it out in 3ish not counting an alignment.

Getting the 77 in my sig ready to go to a custom shop to repower it after the cam made it`s way to the pan. First time I`ve let someone else do the job I love doing but severe back problems dictate.

I replaced a spindle unit on my Bobcat 36" walk behind mower today with the cheapest part I could find on eBay (kicking myself). The dang thing is out of spec. The keyway on the spindle is 6mm but the old one was quarter inch. I had to mill a step into a quarter inch piece of stock to make it work. The spindle itself was 8 thousands smaller too, so the pulley is not a press fit like it should be. I expect I'll be buying a new one the first time I hit a root or something.

If you really have a '67 302 Crank.....Sell it! It's not "Bob weighted" for a 283 anyhow.
Im only going off casting number information, which list my number as a potential 67 302 crank. For my purposes, it's a 283 crank. If it were a 68-69 large journal 302 crank, selling would be a consideration because I don't have a use for it. That, and it's worth a mint.

Back