What are you working on today?

Nope been here two weeks. Doesn’t have tools or anything like that either. He don’t need vacation he needs tools.
Those types are short lived. He’ll probably quit in a few days. I’ve seen more than my share like that. Lock your tools and keep a eye out on your jobs/work. I’ve seen those ass holes steal stuff and attempt to foul your work. And my internship job during tech school was at a tire and alignment shop. Learned a lot there.

Nope been here two weeks. Doesn’t have tools or anything like that either. He don’t need vacation he needs tools.
I’m quite shocked if he came from a “tech” school or the vocational program at a community college, he wasn’t taking advantage of the student deal with Snap-On/Mac Tools/Matco. Unless he didn’t care.

I have no plans to become a professional wrench but I would take a auto class at the local community college if I ever had the itch to get more Snap-On.

I’m quite shocked if he came from a “tech” school or the vocational program at a community college, he wasn’t taking advantage of the student deal with Snap-On/Mac Tools/Matco. Unless he didn’t care.

I have no plans to become a professional wrench but I would take a auto class at the local community college if I ever had the itch to get more Snap-On.
He literally has no experience. He is in college for some sort of degree but nothing related to automotive. And unfortunately he is taking after one of the lube guys and is acting stupid and doing stupid stuff. Today he said the job was boring because there was not enough work. We said there is work just you aren’t doing it. He knocked over a set of rims that were stacked and scratched them all up and put all kinds of noticeable dings and stuff in them. Customer agreed to have them done by the wheel guy instead of making us pay for four new rims. They said we understand mistakes happen so we are fine if they are fixed instead of replaced. And he almost had a car come off a lift because he wasn’t paying attention and one side of the locks didn’t release. I hope he doesn’t work there much longer. He scares me to be around after that lift incident. He then tried to argue saying I was just as bad because I broke a TPMS sensor yesterday. I said that is no where near as bad as tearing up a set of rims and every single tech in this shop has broke a sensor before so you have no fair argument and that doesn’t cost anything compared to a set of rims. He also ran our tractor that we use to pull cars in that don’t run he ran into one of the alignment machines with it. After today I’m surprised he still has a job.

He literally has no experience. He is in college for some sort of degree but nothing related to automotive. And unfortunately he is taking after one of the lube guys and is acting stupid and doing stupid stuff. Today he said the job was boring because there was not enough work. We said there is work just you aren’t doing it. He knocked over a set of rims that were stacked and scratched them all up and put all kinds of noticeable dings and stuff in them. Customer agreed to have them done by the wheel guy instead of making us pay for four new rims. They said we understand mistakes happen so we are fine if they are fixed instead of replaced. And he almost had a car come off a lift because he wasn’t paying attention and one side of the locks didn’t release. I hope he doesn’t work there much longer. He scares me to be around after that lift incident. He then tried to argue saying I was just as bad because I broke a TPMS sensor yesterday. I said that is no where near as bad as tearing up a set of rims and every single tech in this shop has broke a sensor before so you have no fair argument and that doesn’t cost anything compared to a set of rims. He also ran our tractor that we use to pull cars in that don’t run he ran into one of the alignment machines with it. After today I’m surprised he still has a job.
If I was the shop steward/foreman or the service manager/general manager(dunno if you work at a dealership), I’ve advocate to 86 him.

If I was the shop steward/foreman or the service manager/general manager(dunno if you work at a dealership), I’ve advocate to 86 him.
So much this.

I worked in a machine shop with a self-admitted former crack addict. He was very unsafe, I initially tried to offer advice....no matter what you said he said, "I know." So I gave up and started avoiding him.

One time he ran a keyway broach in so crooked it snapped and sliced his forehead. He literally couldn't eyeball plumb or square and for days had been running that broach in semi-crooked. The stories go on and on....

Anyway our boss called a meeting saying we should all help him. I said I had gently tried but I was technically his peer. If he didn't listen to me -- and he never did -- I didn't have the AUTHORITY to TELL him to do anything. If you want to give me the title of SUPERVISOR and a commensurate pay raise for the responsibility, we can negotiate. That shut down that nonsense right quick and I was no longer asked to babysit Patrick the former crackhead. True story

2018 Kia Stinger got its rear diff (LSD) service at home this afternoon. Fairly easy task, however, both plugs were factory loc-tited, so I was wincing while pulling on the 1/2" drive breaker. I was envisioning broken hardware and my likely descent into madness. The custom catback exhaust made accessing the fill plug a bit more of a challenge as well. Filled with Red Line 75W85.

Wow. 😳
Here’s a little advice….

1. Just do your job, avoid the drama, and just let the idiots that you work with hang themselves. (Give an idiot enough rope, they'll eventually hang themselves)

2. Lock your tools up when you’re not in sight of them. (after reading some of your previous posts, this is a must)

It sounds to me as if your dealership management is a little lacking in the service department.

Wow. 😳
Here’s a little advice….

1. Just do your job, avoid the drama, and just let the idiots that you work with hang themselves. (Give an idiot enough rope, they'll eventually hang themselves)

2. Lock your tools up when you’re not in sight of them. (after reading some of your previous posts, this is a must)

It sounds to me as if your dealership management is a little lacking in the service department.
Toolbox is always locked if I’m going to be out of sight for awhile. People just drive me up the wall lol. I stay out of it as much as I can. We have three techs without tools that just change oil and fill out multi point forms. He is one of them. He asks to use my pen and tread depth gauge so I told him I needed them. I think if they don’t have tools they should be forced to do paperwork till they get tools. A former tech took all the shops tools so there is literally nothing but all the techs tools. My box is locked unless I’m near it because I got tired of them using tools I bought to make my living with make their living. And because they put stuff in the wrong spots too.

Toolbox is always locked if I’m going to be out of sight for awhile. People just drive me up the wall lol. I stay out of it as much as I can. We have three techs without tools that just change oil and fill out multi point forms. He is one of them. He asks to use my pen and tread depth gauge so I told him I needed them. I think if they don’t have tools they should be forced to do paperwork till they get tools. A former tech took all the shops tools so there is literally nothing but all the techs tools. My box is locked unless I’m near it because I got tired of them using tools I bought to make my living with make their living. And because they put stuff in the wrong spots too.
Blake: I sure hope your workplace grows some balls and fires that kid. Him blaming you shows immaturity and ignorance. Stay away from him and he will hang himself on his own

Topped off some fluids on dads car. It needed some power steering fluid and coolant. The radiator cap also fell apart so I need to get a new one for it. Also done a diagnosis and found the reason his radio won’t eject or play CD anymore is because the fuse number 2 for the radio so now I need to figure out if it is just bad and blew or I need to find out if it blew for a reason.

240 sedan 20k/60k service at 220,000 miles: Tune up, OLF, AT cooler line exchange and remote filter replacement, PS and differential drain and fill, new ignition wires, air box T-stat replacement

Got her back yesterday from a head gasket replacement, valve adjustment, timing belt, water pump, utility belts, coolant, seals, struts, shocks, PCV service.

She’s a happy Swedish lady🙂

Attachments

• 6ABCD9B6-2960-4E9C-A62B-E39F68D06987.jpeg
    6ABCD9B6-2960-4E9C-A62B-E39F68D06987.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 00CA9CB9-3D26-489F-89BD-B1D5A40CE025.jpeg
    00CA9CB9-3D26-489F-89BD-B1D5A40CE025.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DEE8BF03-7B71-429A-9CF0-9299148F669F.jpeg
    DEE8BF03-7B71-429A-9CF0-9299148F669F.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 6AB79E77-D812-4243-AB40-8AD0448DD42E.jpeg
    6AB79E77-D812-4243-AB40-8AD0448DD42E.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 9121E2EA-C2EC-4D28-8024-F8FC2531CF1F.jpeg
    9121E2EA-C2EC-4D28-8024-F8FC2531CF1F.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
On Friday, the blazer ended up needing a new distributor rotor button. Also got a new cap. Saturday I pulled the pan off the 283. It has a bad number two rod bearing and currently the motor won't turn, however I believe it's stuck in the ring belt area and not the offending rod bearing. I pulled the intake and have both the exhaust and intake valves soaking in penetrating oil. I'll probably end up pulling the heads and trying to soak the cylinders down. This motor also has had a lot of damage where the inboard starter bolt hole had been. Looks like someone took torches to it at one time. If I ever use this block it'll have to be paired with a manual transmission with starter provisions in the bell housing. Yesterday I went back to the guy I bought this motor from and bought another 283 block with a crankshaft. The future is wide open for this project, I don't even have a car to put it in 😀

View attachment 101984

Ugh. Hard to get precision lines of RTV laid down. I used Permatex Optimum Grey vs. the two RTVs Toyota calls for.
… and I F’d up come to think of it - what happens when you wrench on a empty stomach a few beers in. I only paid $3 for that Permatex after an AutoZone gift card. Off to my local O’Really or AutoZonedOut for more Optimum Grey or Right Stuff 90 Minute Grey.

PXL_20220531_005852362.jpg

I drained and filled my Camrys U151E with some T-IV I had around
I used a new Toyota crush washer
It was bone dry when I started, now it slow seeps
I don't know how I got this wrong, but tomorrow I'll call the dealer, get a new drain plug/washer, and a quart of fluid
Hopefully I'll be able to make the swap quick, and minimize my losses

On Friday, the blazer ended up needing a new distributor rotor button. Also got a new cap. Saturday I pulled the pan off the 283. It has a bad number two rod bearing and currently the motor won't turn, however I believe it's stuck in the ring belt area and not the offending rod bearing. I pulled the intake and have both the exhaust and intake valves soaking in penetrating oil. I'll probably end up pulling the heads and trying to soak the cylinders down. This motor also has had a lot of damage where the inboard starter bolt hole had been. Looks like someone took torches to it at one time. If I ever use this block it'll have to be paired with a manual transmission with starter provisions in the bell housing. Yesterday I went back to the guy I bought this motor from and bought another 283 block with a crankshaft. The future is wide open for this project, I don't even have a car to put it in 😀
I think I got a bit too hot Sunday.... yesterday I pulled the spark plugs and put penetrating oil down the cylinders thar way. That's a thought that didn't occur to me Sunday, for one reason or another. 😵

Spent my ENTIRE 3 day weekend pulling the timing cover and valve covers off my Mustang to find out what was causing some noise that has been driving me nuts for way too long. Turned out to be the timing chain tensioners have a terrible gasket on the back and when they blow out you get crappy oil pressure. Slapped 2 new chain tensioners in and replaced the chain guides and put everything else back together.

A suggestion for anyone else attempting this repair - prepare to cuss a lot when you remove the PS pump. There is a 3rd bolt on the bottom that is a nightmare to get off - and of course it is one of those super long bolts.

Also, when installing the crankshaft seal use a 2x4 on top of the old seal to drive in the new seal. I tried a couple of times without the 2x4 and just couldn't get it in there correctly. 1 try with the 2x4 and then hitting the 2x4 with a hammer worked like a charm.

Back