What are you working on today?

Pulled the pan off the dodge. Lots of metal, plugged oil pump pickup screen and at least one scored main bearing. Cleaned everything up, installed a Melling high volume oil pump and put it all back together. Filled with 7 quarts of Kendall GT1 Turbo Nitro 70 and a Motorcraft FL1A filter. Has 55~60 pounds of oil pressure idling at 185-200 degrees, engine is quiet. Will be keeping an eye out for a cheap motor while this one continues to plug along. Gotta start looking for a better set of tires and get the exhaust fixed.
I’m interested to hear how long the engine can keep working ok with thick oil and a scored main bearing.

I’m interested to hear how long the engine can keep working ok with thick oil and a scored main bearing.
I'll keep you updated. I'm moving ahead with other things on the truck and planning on driving it normally.

Today I'm in the middle of doing front strut assemblies, rear shocks, front pads and rotors, front and rear sway bar links and plugs/coil boots on a 2014 Mazda CX-5. Also have a pair of new, stock ride height spring shackles ready to put on my dodge to get it back to proper ride height. Hopefully sometime this week I'll get some tires for it.

Shocks all the way around and front brake pads on a 2001 Ford Ranger. Cleaned and adjusted the rears.

This one wiped me out. Replaced the wipers on the Camry that had been on there since 2016. Being garaged definitely helps...

6OxQdlO.jpg

Didn't do any actual work today, but got the exhaust fixed on the dodge. Now you can barely hear it run at idle. Continuing to monitor the oil pressure as I drive. Seemed to dip low a couple of times today as I drove it, but never bottomed out or triggered the light. I know the dash gauge isn't accurate, as it reads a good 18-20 psi off of what the pressure test gauge was reading under similar operating parameters. Nonetheless, I'll continue to drive it around and see how long it can hang together.

A7C8F75A-8BD6-4D8A-93F8-BC203361F6EB.jpeg

DE54CDE6-7374-41DC-AE42-F73FC8436331.jpeg

Moog R-line front lower control arms and Febi lower ball joints on a 02 Eurovan. Removing the bushings was a failure.

Two weeks ago it received new f/r pads and rotors, f/r shocks, lof, rotate, brake fluid flush and inner/outer tie rods.

Got tires on the dodge today. Oil pressure dipped on the way to the tire shop, just enough to trigger the light, then picked back up. Went to town this evening to get some dinner and on the way back the oil pressure bottomed out. Pulled over and shut it down. Sat for a couple of minutes, then re-fired. Oil pressure resumed but then bottomed out again. Figure the pickup is getting blocked again. Well see how it does in the morning.

Dragged this baby down from her 10 year nap in the attic. Polished the corrosion off that shiny body, new tires, brakes & seat, re-packed the wheel bearings, lubed everything, and went for a short ride. Works great, but front shocks are loose....worn bushings I guess. It got ridden a lot the first few years of ownership (1999 - 2003) but got put away when life changed. Not very comfortable, will probably sell it & get something with fat tires.

20210817_130708.jpg
20210817_212148.jpg

Air quality is bad, no bike ride. so I’m going a minor service on a 2018 RAV4 bought from one of those online used car apps(shift). The car’s good but they could have at least done an oil change, detailed the car and threw on even a set of Chinese tires for safety. Drained the oil and ATF last night. The oil filter housing broke, the car wasn’t serviced at a Toyota dealer after ToyotaCare expired. 36K. I’ll do the brake fluid flush and an inspection tonight.

I’ll leave this here.
DEEC7677-507D-479D-AE54-14375A506D5E.jpeg
E30239D6-0B29-474E-B145-D4F860DF05C4.jpeg

Back