What are you working on today?

When the previous owner trashed it and left it parked, some slug tried to steal the Mach MP3 OEM stereo in it. So, easiest way in was to smash the window. They didn’t get it though, since it’s still there. But I had to remove all the shattered glass and stick in a new Chinese made window. Good enough for what it is.

I will end up selling this off after a couple more fixes…
who the heck steaks a factory radio? If it was a nice, shiny new Pioneer/Kenwood/Alpine double-DIN with CarPlay and Android Auto, I would understand why.

Some Chinese glass ain’t bad(FYG) but even China’s worst(XYG, also Chinese-made PGW) is better than some American made(Auto Temp/ATI). I’m surprised a Mexican-made PGW/Vitro isn’t available for how many Panthers are out there.

For once, nothing. I did recently have to replace my thermostat in my Civic, which turned into an ordeal. No sooner did I do that than I got a bolt (!) in my tire, on the way home from visiting my Pa in the hospital, no less. I got that taken care of (used tire joints just don’t have 14” tires in stock anymore), and finished it off with changing my manual trans fluid, since I had it jacked up the right way for a good drain already, and had bought my two quarts of Honda MTF and the crush washers for the drain/fill plugs shortly before.

Soon enough, though, it’ll be time for a timing belt/water pump/tensioner replacement plus setting valve lash. At the same time I’m finna paint my cam cover. I’m just short of 195k now, it’s due at around 200k. Freaking timing belts.

Replaced mechanical fuel pump on a 351C. Was spraying gasoline onto the oil filter and side of the engine; a little flow but effectively nothing to the carburetor.

It‘s a bit tough getting the arm lined up with the lobe; trick is to turn the engine over by hand with the bolts loose on the pump, then remove it when there is no pressure on the arm. Then the new one slides right in as the lobe is pointing upwards.

Replaced mechanical fuel pump on a 351C. Was spraying gasoline onto the oil filter and side of the engine; a little flow but effectively nothing to the carburetor.

It‘s a bit tough getting the arm lined up with the lobe; trick is to turn the engine over by hand with the bolts loose on the pump, then remove it when there is no pressure on the arm. Then the new one slides right in as the lobe is pointing upwards.
351c is the lesser-known hero of Ford’s V8s. Keep that sucker going!

Bunch of oil changes the last couple of days. I've spent most of the last two weeks helping my buddy tinker with his projects. Haven't had any work at home besides an axle replacement this week.

My 98 Chevy K3500 left me stranded today. I noticed that when I started it up twice today and once the other day that it was idling pretty high. Today I go to the Ford dealership for some parts and it's running a little funny. I come back out and start it and when I put it in gear it dies. I get it started but it acts like it doesn't want to start.

I go to another store and when I come out I start the truck and then it dies and does not restart. Just cranks. I check fuses and I have fuel pump sound and a lot of fuel pressure when I press the shrader valve. I call AAA and they tell me it will be two hours. I get a ride home. AAA ends up not being able to make it so I get a ride back to the truck so that we can pull it home.

I try starting it and it starts up but is idling high and running kind of rough. I get it home and then it dawns on me that it is having the same symptoms my 92 Cavalier was having when the coolant temp switch was going bad. I put the scanner on it and no codes. Live data shows my coolant temp is -35 so I know that is wrong. I ended up having an AC-Delco coolant temp switch here and installed it and now it seems to run normal and starts up a lot better and no more high idle. It had been starting weird for quite a while so it probably has been going out for awhile. The plastic part of the sensor broke when I took it out and the pins at the bottom were rusty so I'm pretty sure it was going bad.

Now to fix the chewed up wires in my Mustang and hopefully I will be done working on stuff for awhile.

My 98 Chevy K3500 left me stranded today. I noticed that when I started it up twice today and once the other day that it was idling pretty high. Today I go to the Ford dealership for some parts and it's running a little funny. I come back out and start it and when I put it in gear it dies. I get it started but it acts like it doesn't want to start.

I go to another store and when I come out I start the truck and then it dies and does not restart. Just cranks. I check fuses and I have fuel pump sound and a lot of fuel pressure when I press the shrader valve. I call AAA and they tell me it will be two hours. I get a ride home. AAA ends up not being able to make it so I get a ride back to the truck so that we can pull it home.

I try starting it and it starts up but is idling high and running kind of rough. I get it home and then it dawns on me that it is having the same symptoms my 92 Cavalier was having when the coolant temp switch was going bad. I put the scanner on it and no codes. Live data shows my coolant temp is -35 so I know that is wrong. I ended up having an AC-Delco coolant temp switch here and installed it and now it seems to run normal and starts up a lot better and no more high idle. It had been starting weird for quite a while so it probably has been going out for awhile. The plastic part of the sensor broke when I took it out and the pins at the bottom were rusty so I'm pretty sure it was going bad.

Now to fix the chewed up wires in my Mustang and hopefully I will be done working on stuff for awhile.
Probably ought to change the oil. Those things run bad rich when those sensors go out. I've seen them flood out a set of plugs.

Did front pads and rotors on an 03 Ford escape. Also changed the oil. Replaced a few light bulbs in a 99 Silverado and changed oil in it also

Pizza dough
Pizza Dough.jpg

Oil change on a 17 Silverado this morning. Also did an oil change on an 08 Yukon, which is getting a water pump in the morning.

I brought a 14 year old Coleman Powermate generator back to life that had not run in two years since I forgot to shut off the fuel valve one season. That was all it took to gum up the carburetor. It has the Robin Subaru EX30 engine with a Mikuni Carburetor. It had also sat outside under a tarp for a year. After putting in a new sparkplug and draining the old gas and draining the fuel bowl on the carb, I was able to start it using starting fluid. Then I put in fresh gas and it did start and run but would only run with the choke on. I bought a Chinese replacement carb on Amazon and installed it. It started on the first pull and ran with full power the new carb but is not as smooth. Did not have gasket sealant and used the paper gasket as is which I think the issue however I was able to run a 12 amp blower/vac plus a 100 watt electric fan so I inow it is putting out power. I measure it under load it is 60 Hz. Here it is:

I then cleaned the original carb the fuel bowl was waxy and fouled and sure enough the main jet was blocked. I cleaned it all out with wire and Gumout. Now I have it as a spare carb.
219234CF-32A8-4D7D-973C-E429B6BAA244.jpeg

I changed both fuel filters on my Kubota diesel tractor that’s right both, it has two of them. The primary one is mounted under the tractor forward of the fuel tank and aft of the electric fuel pump.
6F3E2E40-9502-48E3-B140-D681FF634E18.jpeg

the secondary one is under the hood under the air filter. That one requires removng the steel grille guard first then the grille and side panels

Both filters are the same part number.
E7F18343-06F9-4697-B5D1-58F22293A30A.jpeg
With the panels removed it was still tight in there I used hose pinchers on the fuel lines and a special tool to remove the fuel line clamps.

2002E15A-568D-4C90-AA09-98C5091D84F1.jpeg

C5FB6348-73B3-431C-9EEF-9DE175ABF6A5.jpeg

I also replaced the rubber dust ejector that goes on the air filter they seem to tear every few years.
C4BF8F3F-2449-49AA-91E9-3ED2E1AB0833.jpeg

and the new
32116324-ED34-4221-B910-EFB1B07CA502.jpeg

Last time I cleaned my Civic's throttle body, I couldn't get to the IAC valve because I didn't have an impact driver. Yesterday I bought one, so took all the air intake stuff off and got it done. Also re-cleaned the throttle body since it was opened up. Here's a couple of pics before the first time I cleaned the TB:
IMG-0722.jpg

IMG-0723.jpg

And here's a before and after of the IAC valve:
IMG-0756.jpg

IMG-0757.jpg

I also did a little cleaning of the engine bay while I had it apart (hoses and such) but forgot to take an "after" picture of my job.

Worked on my roof yesterday. Ripped off then shingles and put down the ice and water shield. Shingles will be installed next weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20210530_101357.jpg
    IMG_20210530_101357.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210530_123058.jpg
    IMG_20210530_123058.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210530_194302.jpg
    IMG_20210530_194302.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210530_194309.jpg
    IMG_20210530_194309.jpg