What are you working on today?

Replaced the alternator on my grandpa’s Saturn Vue with the 3.6. Requires jacking up the engine more than I would have liked to be able to get out. Took about 2 hours.
IMG_3436.jpeg

'98 Ram 1500 4x4: complaint was the steering feeling like it was binding as if in 4wd despite being in 2wd.

I drove it and almost concluded weak p/s pump, but something didn't sit right with my instincts. I had absolutely considered axle joints but there was NO popping or clunking and visually they looked good.

Still, I elevated the front and took steering to full lock. Left front wheel would spin free. Right front was almost impossible to turn and I could watch the shaft "tweak" as the wheel tried to spin.

Three of the four caps were drier than a bone:
20240609_131721.jpg
20240609_133647.jpg

I've never noticed this before but the wheel hub has two nubs cast into it:
20240609_135220.jpg

They would prevent my 1-11/16" socket from fully enagaging. The socket would walk back and try to just twist the "castle towers," which is bad.
20240609_140411.jpg

Not being afraid to modify metal, I took a carbide bur and removed the nubs. Now the socket engages WAY better:
20240609_140520.jpg

Finally, I'm glad I had my headlamp on and was paying attention because the reservoir on one trunnion was packed with something like lint rather than grease. Really weird. Brand new 5-760X. Who knew u-joints get belly button lint???
20240609_134038.jpg

Not really what I did, but had a mechanic change out my starter and knock sensor on my 05 CRV. Cel gone with the new sensor. Still had the old OEM starter. Replaced with a reman acdelco unit.

Edit: spelling
I did the starter on my 05 a few months back. Had the OEM rebuilt - it's amazing how much better it starts. I hadn't realized it but the old one had been going for quite a while and was totally done.

I thought about replacing the knock sensor as a maintenance item while I was in the area but it's not bad to get to. The starter was a bit painful to get out but not as bad as I thought it might be.

I had to back off the parking brakes on the LS430 - but I don’t like these aftermarket DuraGo rotors. I’m debating ordering DFC Geospec rotors. My mom heard a rumble in the back - it’s gone now but I don’t like the fit of these rotors.

Their other Lexus got a new dash cam install - went with an Viofo A229 Duo. The front was easy. The back… not so much. I had to drop down a little bit of the headliner to snake a USB cable away from the curtain airbag and through a wiring boot. That was painful. And the pushbike needs a rear wheel true - all the spokes on the non-drive side are loose since the wheel was built. Off to the bike shop it goes.

I forget exactly who suggested it, but will credit @jeepman3071 because he is the small engine master, finally solved the surging issue on the X354 JD riding mower with a few intake gaskets between the spacer behind the carb. That was a mouthful. Not sure why it was designed like that, but I am no engineer.

While I was in there monkeying around the fuel bowl gasket disintegrated and was also replaced. Mowed for 2 hours non stop.

1718022127877.jpg

Silly little project, but I like the result.

Brushed aluminum gauge trim on the '99 911. I tend to keep cars original but always thought the black hole dash on the 996/986 was too plain. These are long NLA from Porsche and many of the aftermarket ones were either shiny, plastic and/or too bulky for my liking. These are rather delicate and exact dupes of the OE aluminum rings and match the brushed aluminum interior parts. Found a set from Poland. Had some dash lights out so a good time to install.

Sometimes it is the little things...

99996gr.jpg

Last edited:
2012 Altima. Started getting the “change brakes now” squeal.
Six hours in the road today.
Filled my online cart with pads and rotors for pickup and decided to pull the right front (the offender) first.

They looked new as good be.

Pulled them apart.

Scrubbed everything down.

Sprayed.

Lubed.

Good as new.

Saved me $212-437 depending on how you look at it.

I recall reading about and still love the idea of these apus. Remind me? They:
- Generate a little house power
- Provide AC
- Send their heated coolant into the diesel’s coolant to keep it warm
Right?
Correct, on the Tri Pac the 2 cylinder Yanmar diesel drives an alternator and AC compressor. The "kit" you would buy will generally include a diesel fired Espar heater that runs off 12v battery power and a 12v-120v inverter. There is no generator on these for true 120v power. On mine, it is tied into the truck's cooling system with 3/4" heater hose(open loop). Some are ordered with their own cooling system that is contained within the unit(closed loop). CL tends to run hot when used in warm climates in my limited knowledge.

On others, the engine drives a generator and the entire ac system is all electric and contained inside the cab. There's probably 10 different manufacturers that all claim to do it best.

Replaced a dry rotted tire and cut the grass.

Earlier, I went back to my roots and began repairing a bike for my nephew. He walks to work in his town since his bike failed (bent sprocket; it was new but cheap).

I have my old Schwinn so I took it apart, cleaning and trying to recover the rusty chain. Put on two new tires and tubes. Put me in mind to when I’d work on my banana seat bike long, long ago. 😁

2002 Ram 2500: replace turn signal switch to fix possessed devil wipers and washer pump. I guess 310k miles is an acceptable lifespan. I used a Rostra which doesn't have a great feel to its action, but hopefully it will break in somewhat.

Yeah, sometimes I really like wrenching on my old junk, and think it might be fun to get paid for this, but then I realize 2-3hrs has passed doing something relatively simple...
Story of my life! I'd get slaughtered as flat rate. Sometimes the simplest tasks take me hours (or days). Technically I wrench "on the side" but I think I need to screw up a few vehicles so people stop referring me.

Back