What are you working on today?

Finally got around to replacing the wrongly installed left rear strut on the 1988 Nissan Wagon (story here:) I installed the left strut (Tokico brand) and that went well. The right side was about 1/2" short so I put back the original Nissan OEM strut (it was replaced sometime in 2007 and only has about 30,000 miles on it). I've never done struts before and my original plan was to remove the assembly and have a local shop up north (where the car is garaged) but nobody wanted to do that job. I bought a set of spring compressors from AutoZone, took my time and managed to get the job done without loosing any limbs. Took the Old Bluey for a drive and it handled just fine. Now my quest is finding a proper right rear strut just to have on hand.
Sentra Wagon 4x4.jpg

Finally got around to replacing the wrongly installed left rear strut on the 1988 Nissan Wagon (story here:) I installed the left strut (Tokico brand) and that went well. The right side was about 1/2" short so I put back the original Nissan OEM strut (it was replaced sometime in 2007 and only has about 30,000 miles on it). I've never done struts before and my original plan was to remove the assembly and have a local shop up north (where the car is garaged) but nobody wanted to do that job. I bought a set of spring compressors from AutoZone, took my time and managed to get the job done without loosing any limbs. Took the Old Bluey for a drive and it handled just fine. Now my quest is finding a proper right rear strut just to have on hand.
View attachment 221640
I bet you have to beat the ladies off with a stick when cruising that thing through town! Such a looker!

I'm only kidding-- a running vehicle is a running vehicle. If it works, it works!

This morning I took my extremely dull chain off of my Stihl chainsaw and cleaned the gunk out . I flipped the bar over and tomorrow I'll get a new chain .

Simple oil and filter change on the Jetta. Only had 1800 miles on the old oil, but it was short trips a whole bunch an a year. Also need to warranty out the battery as it leaks something fierce, and the car is not over-charging. :confused:

Rear wheel bearing on 2008 Impala with 214,300 miles on it. Lug nuts were the biggest obstacle and they'll have to be replaced. Got the old hub out just gotta get it reassembled tomorrow

Finished up the 6L80 build, Employee's were off so I was able to get more done. The cooler is flushed as well.

Probably install it tomorrow myself as the guys will be dragging their feet all hungover.

Pics of the billet front cover converter I use.

4vDYJVb.jpeg

MI3oJP5.jpeg

GajYswh.jpg

4SuL0WE.jpg
Very nice. Nothing feels better than a first class, A number one clean/quality job like that you provide the customer with. They used to tease me at work when I fixed machinery in the field because I not only fixed it.. I would clean the entire surrounding area , re-paint the equipment I repaired... LoL I was even known to actually re-paint the manufacturers logos + model # on machinery. The operations guys would clown with me and say, ***? Sam you cant fix nothing can you? Since you always seem to replace the leaking pumps etc... with new ones! Of course they knew better. Some lazy characters in the crew would just pull out the leaking gaskets or seals and swap em out , button up the machines and just not even clean it up before turning it back over to the operations folks. Sad. No pride or care what so ever. Seems less and less folks give a care about quality, value, reputation work ethics.... My grandfathers taught me to feel good and proud about a hard days work and dont do it if you dont intend to do it right.

Ordered me a nice little hi press air gun like I been wanting to have for the begining of each summer's scortching hot weather periods.
I saw a guy once pull out and use one of these on my central A/C drain lines that had plugged up. Even though I had been shocking it with bleech and vinegar for a few weeks prior. The guy even had to pop it 2-3 times to knock it out. He mentioned the lines will do that sometimes no matter what one uses to pour and flush out with. So I found today in a Granger's HVAC on line preventive maintenance catalog section, this gun and replacement C02 cartidges: https://www.grainger.com/product/56...p.ds&msclkid=68ad7049eea216f4ebc1161cff2780ca
Figured not bad prices for the gun and dozen ammo replacements for occassional clean out that can be kinda pain in the posterior!

Last edited:
Saturday I mowed grass, pressure washed the truck and pressure washed the house. Sunday someone had a flat and pulled off the road in the end of my driveway. I helped them change the tire. I also cleaned and relubed my pistol. Yesterday I some cleaning inside the house and grilled a couple of hamburgers for dinner, along with a mess of fried potatoes and a good salad. I'll be back at my friend's shop today and for the remainder of the week.

I bet you have to beat the ladies off with a stick when cruising that thing through town! Such a looker!

I'm only kidding-- a running vehicle is a running vehicle. If it works, it works!
Ha! It definitely gets attention. I haven't had it out much this year but back when it was in Colorado my dad and I almost always were stopped at the grocery store parking lot with folks asking questions about it. Quite a few offers to buy it on the spot. I'm trying to figure out how many are left out there.

2000 Tacoma:
-oil change
-repaired horn wiring
-repaired windshield washer wiring (apparent deer hit in the past and poor previous wiring repairs)
‐lubed all zerks
-replaced blower motor resistor and blower motor (the 4 Seasons was actually made in Canada)
‐new radiator, cap and lower rad hose

Old rad no bueno:
20240527_184708.jpg

-replaced left front door check with TRQ. New check on right:
20240528_102906.jpg

The other day we did the chaincase oil on the JD 318G at 1047 hours. This was factory fill, assumed Hy-Gard. Some wear material but it looked like water intrusion on both sides. The oil looked like strawberry milkshake but not really looking like the foaming, partially seperated mess when oils are contaminated with water.

Drained ut out and put semi synthetic 10w30 in both sides at 14 litres each.

Today I checked the remnants in the oil pan and they look about the same. Never dealt with Hy-Tran so perhaps this is it.

20240528_181549.jpg

Have to replace the blower motor on the wife's 2018 Honda Accord. Car only has 98000mi on it. This is the very first time I am ever having to work on an A/C system (replace a part) on a Honda vehicle since the 90s. I have re-charged one but never a part replacement. What makes this already grouchy/angry old man now mad is the fact I would bet money the reason this is happening. The part that is failing, is going to be either Made in China or Made in Mexico with my guess Made in China. I guess we all simply need to just "get over it" and start to accept it as the new norm. Made in China is starting to mean Made to Fail. Ugh. I just last week had to replace the timer assembly (cost me $150 thru mail) for only a 3 to 4 year old Whirplool gas clothes dryer because the "Made In China" part was designed to use a cheap plastic knob stem. Of course it broke. So in search for the part that cost about 1/4 the cost of a new machine (well when we bought it-but now its likely $200 more expensive). I found that not only are 90% dryers made directly or indirectly by same companies or with the same parts..... every brand I looked up parts on seem to all have been designed with the plastic knob stems. Really nice. The one part that people need to operated the very most is the part they made to fail out of cheap material. I know "get over it!" I often used to wonder why and even laugh when I encountered really very angry, grouchy older men. Now I understand. They hurt all the time and are upset and tired that NOTHING stays the same and especially nothing of quality remains. :eek: Now I have become one of them!

Last edited:
Changed the cams, rockers and lifters on this 3.6. Also replaced the oil cooler that was leaking with an all aluminum Dorman unit. Replaced spark plugs and all valve cover seals/tube seals and PCV valve. Good as new and quiet as a mouse now. Ended up having a few bad cam lobes and rockers once I had it all apart (roller failure).

IMG_0772.jpeg

IMG_0773.jpeg

IMG_0775.jpeg

IMG_0774.jpeg

IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_0776.jpeg

IMG_0777.jpeg

IMG_0779.jpeg

Last edited:
Probably saved myself a few hundred dollars today. Was about to get into looking to change what I assumed was bad fan for wife's car A/C system. Sounded just like bad fan bearing. I have never had one go bad since one of the Chevelles. Seemed like always had to fix A/C systems on our Fords n Chevys. So, I decided to check the cabin filter first and found (2) reasons for the screaming (bad bearing sound) coming from it. A plastic glove somehow got jamed into it and the filter looks like someone put a shovel of dirt/sand/trash in it. So , hurrah , no fan to swap out or have to special order:).

Back