What are you working on today?

2012 fiesta overheating and low air flow from the hvac system.

Found the engine fan doa so installed a new one. The cabin filter looked to have at least 120k miles on it so it got one of those as well. Engine stays at temp now and hvac blows cold with a good amount of flow.

Just finished hosing down and scrubbing the front door outside and inside mats. They are now drying in the sun.

Must have been very important work because of Mrs levi's incessant reminders. Very important.

Did some work on the master bath water closet. New paint, toilet, and stain on the wood.

Before:
IMG_2644.jpeg

After
IMG_2658.jpeg

IMG_2659.jpeg

IMG_2660.jpeg

I had my first customer job today: 1993 Lincoln Continental with 112k miles on it. Beautiful car, completely rust free. The steering column was all goofed up from someone messing with it, the high beam headlights wouldn't stay engaged, and the shift interlock didn't work.

Instead of fooling around with the column, I sourced a used unit in town for $75. That solved a lot of the shifter slop and the poor ignition cylinder performance.

Next, the high beam issue turned out to be a bit of an oddball. This car had automatic high beams, which require the OE rearview mirror and it's associated electronics be installed for proper operation. Long story short, I found the wires tucked up inside the headliner so I simply bypassed the light sensor by splicing it to ground.

The shift interlock issue/second half of the poor shifter operation was two-fold: someone had left the shift cable adjuster in the unlocked position at the transmission, and the brake switch itself had failed (the customer didn't even know his brake lights weren't functioning). I finalized the shift cable adjustment and replaced said switch, buttoned her up and she was off to the races.

I charged the customer $280 total, parts and labor. I know that sounds light, but I'm trying to get my name out there to drum up more business. I did a courtesy inspection of the car today and sold another $360 worth of repairs for next week off what I found.

Got the transmission back for the 88 Sierra yesterday evening after I left. Got it installed today, along with a new transmission mount. Got the detent cable set, ended up taking 12 quarts of Cam2 dex/merc fluid and everything went fine on the test drive. It's now in the big truck shop awaiting some new tires. Later this afternoon I replaced the starter on a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac and repaired the hot lead.

Reactions: D60
I had my first customer job today: 1993 Lincoln Continental with 112k miles on it. Beautiful car, completely rust free. The steering column was all goofed up from someone messing with it, the high beam headlights wouldn't stay engaged, and the shift interlock didn't work.

Instead of fooling around with the column, I sourced a used unit in town for $75. That solved a lot of the shifter slop and the poor ignition cylinder performance.

Next, the high beam issue turned out to be a bit of an oddball. This car had automatic high beams, which require the OE rearview mirror and it's associated electronics be installed for proper operation. Long story short, I found the wires tucked up inside the headliner so I simply bypassed the light sensor by splicing it to ground.

The shift interlock issue/second half of the poor shifter operation was two-fold: someone had left the shift cable adjuster in the unlocked position at the transmission, and the brake switch itself had failed (the customer didn't even know his brake lights weren't functioning). I finalized the shift cable adjustment and replaced said switch, buttoned her up and she was off to the races.

I charged the customer $280 total, parts and labor. I know that sounds light, but I'm trying to get my name out there to drum up more business. I did a courtesy inspection of the car today and sold another $360 worth of repairs for next week off what I found.
You’re gonna do great. Prepare to be really backlogged.

I should really stop answering my phone when people call for help 🙄
Coworker (and long lost childhood neighbor) gave me a rang while I was working in the yard
2017 Optima, 2.4 Theta II, 82K
This is the second time "the oil light came on" or "it idles rough" 😒
PXL_20230725_230934182.jpg

...ya think 😫
This being a Red dipstick, that indicates this engines been replaced once
PXL_20230725_232431068.jpg

The Total oil is a paid actor 🤣
I bought a few of the 5w40 specifically for these oil burning replacement Theta II engines
Owner and the quick lube he uses all use a 20 weight, which IME isn't cutting it in the NYC driving environment
PXL_20230725_234044129.jpg

3.5 qts needed to full, apparently the oil was changed 2200 miles ago 😳
So it only had 32% of the oil level it should've (1.7/5.2) 💀
That's pretty atrocious consumption
I've set the trip to perform my own consumption test with the mostly 40 weight now in there
At least the engine will live to die another day 😒
Last time we did this it took 4.5 qts to the full mark ☠️
I've instructed him to check it more often
PXL_20230725_231633942.jpg

The washer fluid hasn't worked in at least two winters he says 😳
Stitched in some new hose and a barb/splice and he was over the moon with it 🙄
Air/cabin filters factory, wiper blades mismatched, broken, and one factory 😲
He'll be back for some more remedial work

puts phone on silent 🫣

Around here, word of mouth goes a long way.

I operate solely off word of mouth. Didn't realized how much "Walk-In's" drag a business down.

"Autozone said I need this, How much to install it?"
"Can I please get my tire inflated?"
And a whole host of other things like the last minute oil change at quittin' time on Friday.

I'm sure you know to watch out for scams, I got-got a couple times with customers (I didn't know) disputing credit card charges, I no longer accept CC's from people I don't know....Same with checks.

Spare key bandits are pretty slick, They'll give you an alias & the car will have paper plates or plates off another car. Soon as they get the "it's ready" call.....They send an acquaintance/accomplice over to drive the vehicle right out of the parking lot.
If I even have a feeling something could go down.....I'll either block the car in or disable the vehicle. Haven't seen this attempted since opening my shop but I stay vigilant.

A good thing to do is.....Have the customer fill out their information on the invoice, People rarely spell their own name or street they live on wrong, But will with a alias at times.
Customers using nicknames is also a red flag....."Baby-D" can take his ride somewhere else ;)

1000001463.jpg
1000001462.jpg

I wanted yellow fog bulbs to replace the piddly 890 bulbs that come stock on the Reatta, but I liked the idea of being able to choose between white or yellow. I found these dual-color LED's on Amazon for $20, you can select between white or yellow by turning the lights off and back on within 5 seconds. I'm quite pleased with the results!

Clothes dryer repair. Open the dryer door, the drum would not stop turning and the light inside would not turn on.

Received the parts today. Ten minute job to open the cabinet (like a car hood) and replace the door switch. New door switch fixed both issues.

20230726_151704_resized.jpg

New door switch.

20230726_151721_resized.jpg

New switch. Paddle on old switch was limp - broken spring?

View attachment 168973View attachment 168974

I wanted yellow fog bulbs to replace the piddly 890 bulbs that come stock on the Reatta, but I liked the idea of being able to choose between white or yellow. I found these dual-color LED's on Amazon for $20, you can select between white or yellow by turning the lights off and back on within 5 seconds. I'm quite pleased with the results!

Where did you source those LED bulbs?

A fog lamp bulp popped in the Camaro and I haven't had a chance to tear the front end apart to replace it. It fogged (no pun intended) enclosure. Hopefully, it didn't damage the reflector. The Camaro uses an 885 bulb; most LED equivalent LED bulbs fit both 885 and 890 applications.

Thanks!

Back