What are you working on today?

Had to abort my mission. I could NOT get the FL-820S on the Taurus.
View attachment 135329View attachment 135330View attachment 135331View attachment 135332View attachment 135333View attachment 135334
And the last two pics shown radiator totally buried in bodywork, not that anyone (from last year) would DARE admit I was right on that observation. The tank is not on the radiator like a radiator cap. The reservoir is still the most accessible point.

Going to a car wash, seeing if P2197 keeps on or goes away (I suspect bad gas.)

Maybe @53' Stude will get that one. I was lied to last year. It's actually a brand new FL820S. Just wouldn't fit.. was too big. Maybe an FL400S would. The Supertech MP7317 did as did a Fram..

View attachment 135335
I'm cleaning up the oil now. Might be a little on the dark side. I suppose it has done some cleaning.

Disconnecting battery for half hour and reconnecting may very well have solved issue.
Check for vacuum leaks on the hoses that attach to the intake duct from filter housing to upper plenum. I think a 51516 in a Wix is correct for that engine. Radiator is very well buried on the Taurus both with the Vulcan and Duratec.

Did some more flatbed modifications to the bed that’s going on my 86 K20. Had toolboxes down both sides, removed them and stacked both on the right side after cutting the locked style box out of the right side that was eat up with rust. Going to have a piece of tread plate broke at the local steel supply to fill the hole. Set my gas compressor on the left side to get measurements. Next step is to pull the bed off and cut out the 6” channel frame rails and replace with 2x3” rectangle tubing to lower the bed height.

Loaded steers and heifers today and hauled them to the sale barn for tomorrow morning’s sale.

I WAS working our large paper shredder (I found a stash of classified docs) but once inside I found a sheared shaft. Not worth it. Threw it in the neighbor's yard and ordered a new one.
New shredder delivered this PM. Not huge, but thing is a beast. Nothing has slowed it down yet.
0200AFDB-5E33-4128-80E3-3A0AC4D7EE61.jpeg

So, on the Ford (2004 Taurus Vulcan.) I have to figure out why: 1. LTFTs start out pegged at 25%, this happening for about a week . 2. Why it eventually sets P0174.

I'm still thinking it will eventually "set itself, will take some time" in use.. if that is incorrect, please let me know. Changed air filter to brand new one two weeks ago.

Screenshots are from giving it WOT on quiet road with one hand screenshot, eyes on road not device. STFT gets to -11% or so at WOT, (short bursts to about 40MPH staying safe here) so I may test for vacuum leak with brake parts cleaner..

Will it eventually adjust itself?

Yes they are absolutely all over the place, this from early this morning in watching the readings. Car will do two drive cycles and set P0174 presently, not sure why it doesnt like Bank 2 but decides Bank 1 is fine.

What could be the variable.

Screenshot_20230116-163826_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230116-163811_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230116-163805_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230116-163800_Gallery.jpg

Monday
Back working at home for at least a few days
2001 Chevrolet Impala with a 3.8 V6
Replaced oil pressure sensor, changed oil, checked brakes and rotated tires

1983 Chevrolet C10
Replaced rear brake shoes, wheel cylinders and turned drums

Had to abort my mission. I could NOT get the FL-820S on the Taurus.
View attachment 135329View attachment 135330View attachment 135331View attachment 135332View attachment 135333View attachment 135334
And the last two pics shown radiator totally buried in bodywork, not that anyone (from last year) would DARE admit I was right on that observation. The tank is not on the radiator like a radiator cap. The reservoir is still the most accessible point.

Going to a car wash, seeing if P2197 keeps on or goes away (I suspect bad gas.)

Maybe @53' Stude will get that one. I was lied to last year. It's actually a brand new FL820S. Just wouldn't fit.. was too big. Maybe an FL400S would. The Supertech MP7317 did as did a Fram..

View attachment 135335
I'm cleaning up the oil now. Might be a little on the dark side. I suppose it has done some cleaning.

Disconnecting battery for half hour and reconnecting may very well have solved issue.
The FL400S will be more than enough
Check the O-Ring on the IMRC tuning valve on the back of the intake
It's not that hard of a plenum to pull, and IIRC there's only 4 or 5 o-rings and gaskets, might as well change them all while you're changing plugs

Tuesday morning
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 3.9 V6
Replaced crank sensor

Also did a suck and fill ps reservoir ps fluid change on my 04 Silverado

Headed out of town now to help a friend load up a bunch of old Mopar parts

Kinda interesting stuff today lol. RAV4 came in for an oil change, rotate the basics you know. So I am getting in this car with a gray interior and I look and the passenger seat is covered in blood and it’s wet and smells bad I’m like uhhh…. So I go tell the service advisor and the service advisor talks to the customer finds out the lady just had a baby in the car on Saturday on the way to the hospital. I’m like uhhh do I have to service this vehicle? So customer is like well can you price me a new seat so we did and sold it luckily. So I already have the seat out and the used seat will arrive from the junkyard tomorrow. I used extra caution touching the seat who brings their car in like that ewww. Could have at least put a seat cover on it lol. Customer said her husband told her the stain would go away as the sun would fade it and the smell would go away when it gets hot in the vehicle I’m like I think your husband is misinformed lady. And done tires and a few other things too lol. That’s probably the worst smell I’ve smelt though.

Nothing of note today, but I do have a fun one:

Customer with a 2020 Explorer Platinum. 3.0 TT. 23k on the clock. The owner happens to be the poster child for thrifty living. Buys a top of the line truck, proceeds to buy a set of snow tires but won't pop for a second set of wheels, and uses bulk 5W30 oil.

Anyway, today I had to replace the RH exterior mirror for the SECOND time due to damage while backing out of the garage. Keep in mind: this is a Platinum trim model. As such, the side mirror not only provides the power adjustment and defrost... it also contains radar sensors for blind spot monitoring, a remote turn signal repeater, auto dimming, power fold, and more.

Retail price for the mirror? $1,203. Plus an hour's labor @ $136 plus tax and shop supplies. That's almost $3k in MIRRORS in less than 30k miles folks.

Oh, forgot to mention. Since the shop was slow this afternoon, I took the opportunity to hoist my "new" Camry in hopes of finding a cheap repair for the broken exhaust. The current setup consists of multiple adaptors, unions, reducers all secured by welds which resembled a coral reef.

Putting aside the multitude of pinholes, the main issue turned out to be a complete break at the inlet to the cat. con. The existing metal was too thin to weld, so I improvised. I spot welded a few thick areas to hold the pipe, then proceeded to slather the joint with a combination of JB 6 hour and muffler cement.

While it was in the air, by pure chance, I noticed that the engine torque mount bracket was not bolted to the engine. That explained the rapid deterioration of the already fragile exhaust, along with the harsh shifting from the transmission. $11 and a trip to the hardware store later, said bracket was once again secure. Night and day difference.

Hoping the Ford doesn't have a DYING FUEL PUMP. We got. P0191, P0171, P0174.

Always learn that when you suspect a fuel delivery issue you start by changing the fuel filter. Yes I read up about fuel pressures.. On this car a mechanical gauge will tell you next to nothing since you need a scan tool to read the fuel pressure at the rail because of the returnless fuel delivery system that's on this model.

Here are some fuel pressures from the scan app. Fuel pressure sure gets a little low after its been running. Hoping a clogged fuel filter will yield relief.

I can replicate stumbles and stalls after it's driven a few hours, over the past few weeks.

Here,we can see the low fuel pressure, complete with CRAZY high STFT. Usually sets P0191 at this time, complete with stumbling, if given the chance. Taken after car turned off, I saw what I needed to see with fuel pressure dropping low (the tool measures it at the rail, like you're supposed to on this car.)

LTFTs being pegged at +25% started a few days ago. They go down with throttle, but, something doesn't seem right there. (I been keeping an eye on the oil level too, because fuel dilution. On it. Something is amiss but nothing that can't be solved.)
Screenshot_20230118-065144_Torque.jpg

Here it is, running idling about 20 minutes later, since I came back out to it after cutting open same car's old oil filter.

Screenshot_20230118-071524_Torque.jpg

Codes cleared, to see if they come back.

Fuel filter change won't hurt anything.

Clogged fuel filter, this is the original 18 year old one.... can mimic symptoms of bad fuel pump, so, hoping it is simple. Had me thinking O2 sensors, why misfires (you can feel them, they don't log or set codes,) etc. If not then okay yeah let's take a look at that fuel pump.

No idea what P0538 is. I know what P1000 is.

That's the latest.

Screenshot_20230118-071533_Torque.jpg

Here it is, idling in the driveway fully warmed up, before I go inside and eat breakfast and start my day. Been spending all night with the Taurus, reading the data.

My conclusion is.. change the fuel filter and go from there (re-assess.)

Note that fuel pressure is healthy now.

O2 values DO switch.. that's just that particular moment of screenshot. In case anyone was wondering.

Screenshot_20230118-072342_Torque.jpg

FWIW, according to this article, my fuel pump fits the description of dying. https://batauto.com/threads/2004-ford-taurus-3-0l-vin-u-fuel-pressure-problems.6620/

Last edited:
Hoping the Ford doesn't have a DYING FUEL PUMP. We got. P0191, P0171, P0174.

Always learn that when you suspect a fuel delivery issue you start by changing the fuel filter. Yes I read up about fuel pressures.. On this car a mechanical gauge will tell you next to nothing since you need a scan tool to read the fuel pressure at the rail because of the returnless fuel delivery system that's on this model.

Here are some fuel pressures from the scan app. Fuel pressure sure gets a little low after its been running. Hoping a clogged fuel filter will yield relief.

I can replicate stumbles and stalls after it's driven a few hours, over the past few weeks.

Here,we can see the low fuel pressure, complete with CRAZY high STFT. Usually sets P0191 at this time, complete with stumbling, if given the chance. Taken after car turned off, I saw what I needed to see with fuel pressure dropping low (the tool measures it at the rail, like you're supposed to on this car.)

LTFTs being pegged at +25% started a few days ago. They go down with throttle, but, something doesn't seem right there. (I been keeping an eye on the oil level too, because fuel dilution. On it. Something is amiss but nothing that can't be solved.)
View attachment 136135

Here it is, running idling about 20 minutes later, since I came back out to it after cutting open same car's old oil filter.

View attachment 136136
Codes cleared, to see if they come back.

Fuel filter change won't hurt anything.

Clogged fuel filter, this is the original 18 year old one.... can mimic symptoms of bad fuel pump, so, hoping it is simple. Had me thinking O2 sensors, why misfires (you can feel them, they don't log or set codes,) etc. If not then okay yeah let's take a look at that fuel pump.

No idea what P0538 is. I know what P1000 is.

That's the latest.

View attachment 136137
Here it is, idling in the driveway fully warmed up, before I go inside and eat breakfast and start my day. Been spending all night with the Taurus, reading the data.

My conclusion is.. change the fuel filter and go from there (re-assess.)

Note that fuel pressure is healthy now.

O2 values DO switch.. that's just that particular moment of screenshot. In case anyone was wondering.

View attachment 136138
FWIW, according to this article, my fuel pump fits the description of dying. https://batauto.com/threads/2004-ford-taurus-3-0l-vin-u-fuel-pressure-problems.6620/
Don't remove the plastic clips on the fuel filter, just push on the white part and pull off the filter
I'd recommend a Motorcraft filter, they aren't expensive
And why aren't you using FORScan for Android, a much better app for Ford's IMO 🙂

Don't remove the plastic clips on the fuel filter, just push on the white part and pull off the filter
I'd recommend a Motorcraft filter, they aren't expensive
And why aren't you using FORScan for Android, a much better app for Ford's IMO 🙂
I'm very engaged in this.. Ok so, this Is DIFY in 5 minutes vs DIY and getting yelled at by my HOA plus "I SMELL GAS!" so. I'm running the tank out of fuel and bringing it by my shop whe they have a lift available.

As to app.. I paid $5 for Torque Pro and now I'm just discovering what it can do. Seems it can do a lot except tell me if it is in Closed or Open loop..

Is FORScan free? Used on a phone? I don't have just the Ford.

It looks SO much better washed and clean, though. Was rough there for some months.
20230118_094839.jpg
20230118_094947.jpg
20230118_064530.jpg
edit for @michaelluscher

Screenshot_20230118-101811_Package installer.jpg

I'm still thinking it was water-contaminated and/or "bad gas" the kind @JHZR2 feels "just isn't a thing" yet sometimes happens.. (again, the gas station I use had a pump go up in flames New Year's Day. Might not have been. Might have been. I don't know. Also stayed a low price for longer than anyone else, like old fuel in the ground...) but, the gas is almost out of there now.

Waiting to re-assess. They have 2 cars on lift in front of me. That place has business for the rest of their life.

Last edited:
Back