What are you listening to right now?

I LOVE this song!! The original lp it came from "Pisces Aquarius Capricorn Jones Ltd" is AWESOME from beginning to end!!

It's one of their greats, and surprisingly not as well known to fans as many of their others. When you have a chance search out the connection of this song to science fiction author Robert Heinleins' cat. :)

I still have the "Pisces Aquarius Capricorn Jones Ltd" album purchased back in the day. And now, being impressed with the videos of the "Mike & Mickey Show" I can say something I have not said in over 50 years: I just bought the new Monkees album. (On vinyl, of course.)

It's one of their greats, and surprisingly not as well known to fans as many of their others. When you have a chance search out the connection of this song to science fiction author Robert Heinleins' cat. :)

I still have the "Pisces Aquarius Capricorn Jones Ltd" album purchased back in the day. And now, being impressed with the videos of the "Mike & Mickey Show" I can say something I have not said in over 50 years: I just bought the new Monkees album. (On vinyl, of course.)
In 1967, the American rock group The Monkees, recorded the song "The Door into Summer" for their album Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. The song was written by Chip Douglas and Bill Martin and performed by Michael Nesmith (lead vocals) and Micky Dolenz (back-up vocals). In an livestream interview in 2020, Nesmith directly attributes the inspiration for the song to the story about Heinlein's cat looking for the "Door into Summer".[8] The song is about longing and regret for a life based primarily on the accumulation of material things. Other than the title, the song has little to do with the story told in the novel.

That's a trip!! I never knew that!!

I have original pressings of all the Monkees lps. My favorites being "Pisces","The Birds The Bees and The Monkees","Instant Replay",and "Changes". I scored original mono pressings of "The Birds The Bees" and "Instant Replay" which are supposed to be very rare. The mono mixes are superior to the stereo mixes.

That's a trip!! I never knew that!!

It's kind of a crazy story! To illuminate a bit further, the phrase "door into summer" actually came from Heinlein's wife Ginny. On a cold winter day in 1956 their cat refused to go outside through any door in the house. Ginny remarked "He's looking for the door into summer." Heinlein took that as inspiration to immediately write his novel "The Door Into Summer" which is a kind of strange time-travel story. (It does feature a cat as one of its characters.) As your cite says, the title of the novel then inspired the Monkees song of the same name though the book and song are otherwise unrelated.

It's an example of the way that even a minor event can spread out in strange ways (the Butterfly Effect). Because Heinlein's cat didn't want to go out in the cold in 1956, in 2020 the remaining Monkees are on youtube with a live performance of this song. Something even Heinlein's imagination could not have come up with. BTW, the new live "Mike & Micky Show" album is great, a double album set when you get it on vinyl.

To stay on topic, what I'm listening to right now is is a J. J. Cale cover...

It's kind of a crazy story! To illuminate a bit further, the phrase "door into summer" actually came from Heinlein's wife Ginny. On a cold winter day in 1956 their cat refused to go outside through any door in the house. Ginny remarked "He's looking for the door into summer." Heinlein took that as inspiration to immediately write his novel "The Door Into Summer" which is a kind of strange time-travel story. (It does feature a cat as one of its characters.) As your cite says, the title of the novel then inspired the Monkees song of the same name though the book and song are otherwise unrelated.

It's an example of the way that even a minor event can spread out in strange ways (the Butterfly Effect). Because Heinlein's cat didn't want to go out in the cold in 1956, in 2020 the remaining Monkees are on youtube with a live performance of this song. Something even Heinlein's imagination could not have come up with. BTW, the new live "Mike & Micky Show" album is great, a double album set when you get it on vinyl.

To stay on topic, what I'm listening to right now is is a J. J. Cale cover...

I definitely want to read that book.

I like the music in this song, but I don't like the song. Does that make sense?

And question: Was this song supposed to be called "Listerine" but there were copyright issues?

Back