What are you doing right now?

Been messing around with a free monitor, trying to see what it can do. Fun toy, salvaged from the transfer station, so no hard feelings if it doesn't work out. Roasted some dogs over the firepit and had smores, wife wasn't up for more than that tonight.

Wondering what I should do for a hobby tonight.

I’m going back to the gas station now with pops to get his Red Bull. I think Red Bull taste nasty lol. I found a great app to help me inventory and keep track of all my DVDs. Just got to wait for my paycheck to upgrade to the premium version which is just a one time fee. So far I’ve counted 139 DVDs in my collection not including my parents movies.

I’m watching the movie Major League. Surprisingly I’ve never seen it before as big of a baseball fan as I am. I just recently purchased the DVD on eBay. I also have the Major League Back to the Minors on DVD too. Plan on getting the second one on DVD or Blu-Ray.

Called my local computer guy and ordered a new laptop, for backup on my pc. Probably be set up for pickup tomorrow.
Hate when my computer is down, I am not very tech savvy. Never had a laptop before, but $1400 later will have one.

Local guy and a gun nut that I can trust. Been in his own business for 30+ years. Have bought 3 or 4 computers from him and is a great guy. Says the laptop is blazing fast. Time will tell, if I am smart enough to run it.

Called my local computer guy and ordered a new laptop, for backup on my pc. Probably be set up for pickup tomorrow.
Hate when my computer is down, I am not very tech savvy. Never had a laptop before, but $1400 later will have one.
Hook up a keyboard, mouse and monitor to it if you want to make it a "desktop".

Hook up a keyboard, mouse and monitor to it if you want to make it a "desktop".
Knowing me...that will most likely happen. I like big screens and don't see how people can do things on a cell phone.
I just mainly want the laptop for a back-up. I get real bored if the power goes out or my pc fails.

Last edited:
I hear you, I've taken to telling my kids to go show me on a computer, I'm not staring at a 2" wide screen.

So what do they do? they get their laptop and show me, and I can't see anything, as they have the brightness set to zero. I know my eyes are not as good as they used to be, but dang, I must be burning out my retinas, staring at screens all day... sucks getting old.

I can't do anything without dual monitors, and now at home I'm working on getting to 4. Just too useful.

I hear you, I've taken to telling my kids to go show me on a computer, I'm not staring at a 2" wide screen.

So what do they do? they get their laptop and show me, and I can't see anything, as they have the brightness set to zero. I know my eyes are not as good as they used to be, but dang, I must be burning out my retinas, staring at screens all day... sucks getting old.

I can't do anything without dual monitors, and now at home I'm working on getting to 4. Just too useful.
Have 6 monitors at my desk at work. Largest is around 50”.

Don’t own a computer at home. Wife & son each do but I don’t really have a use for one in my personal life.

Don’t own a computer at home. Wife & son each do but I don’t really have a use for one in my personal life.
I still do WFH 2-3 days a week, so I "need" something decent at home. Sadly I have a better monitor for CAD work at home, and I have less distractions, so I can get more done when WFH.

I'm usually only 18-24" from my monitors, so 27" is about all I need. Just multiple ones, please. :)

I still do WFH 2-3 days a week, so I "need" something decent at home. Sadly I have a better monitor for CAD work at home, and I have less distractions, so I can get more done when WFH.

I'm usually only 18-24" from my monitors, so 27" is about all I need. Just multiple ones, please. :)
I’m about 3’ from monitors at work but the amount of data cells is gargantuan, hence the larger screens. Also have two video walls for the big stuff.

Wish I could do some WFH. Employer won’t even let us train from home for required ceh’s. Instead of disciplining one abuser they punish the entire group. Once the single abuser left for a different section, training from home was still not restored. Killin’ me over here 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’m about 3’ from monitors at work but the amount of data cells is gargantuan, hence the larger screens. Also have two video walls for the big stuff.

Wish I could do some WFH. Employer won’t even let us train from home for required ceh’s. Instead of disciplining one abuser they punish the entire group. Once the single abuser left for a different section, training from home was still not restored. Killin’ me over here 🤦🏻‍♂️
Yeah, I worry about return to office. I don't blame the upcoming generation, who have clear boundaries and don't want to work more than 8 hours--but have no love for slackers who abuse the system.

Go figure, I can get more done at home in a 10 hour day than in in the office, for 8 hours, with a constant stream of distractions...

Yeah, I worry about return to office. I don't blame the upcoming generation, who have clear boundaries and don't want to work more than 8 hours--but have no love for slackers who abuse the system.

Go figure, I can get more done at home in a 10 hour day than in in the office, for 8 hours, with a constant stream of distractions...
I haven’t been able to hire anyone from the new GenZ. Have only a couple millennials as well. Of my hires over the last 6yrs, the youngest has been about 35-36 & that was this latest round only a couple months ago. Rotating 12hr shifts are a barrier to many but the younger generations seem to sprint the other way.

That said, these two new hires seem to be picking things up really well. They haven’t passed their 6mo probation yet but I don’t foresee any issues with either of them.

It’s been a relief to see a pair of younger guys doing well in here. I’m one of the youngest at 46(nearly 47) and supervise dispatchers in their mid 60’s. Over 1/3 of the entire dispatching section (real time, prescheduling, outages & training) is qualified to retire anytime they want. Sure wouldn’t be a fun time if that happened. Young people just don’t want to put in the work to either qualify or do these jobs though. Kind of disappointing really.

Rotating 12 hour shifts? I wonder why they're not signing up.
Electricity & water don’t turn off when everyone else goes home. Someone has to operate the grid & control water flows from N to S. If the new generation doesn’t want to put in the work, well, these nice things won’t be around anymore.

Also, only working 14 out of every 28 days isn’t so bad. Yes, there’s some sacrifices but there’s also plenty of gains.

Electricity & water don’t turn off when everyone else goes home. Someone has to operate the grid & control water flows from N to S. If the new generation doesn’t want to put in the work, well, these nice things won’t be around anymore.

Also, only working 14 out of every 28 days isn’t so bad. Yes, there’s some sacrifices but there’s also plenty of gains.
I get that, I do. But given the choice, how many are going to say "sign me up!" Especially if they can find higher pay with more normal hours--or, let's say, same pay per hour, but again with normal hours.

When I looked up what a rotating shift was (just to make sure I wasn't wrong), I came across this union link which is rather negative of it. Now I'm not going to point to this as proof positive as I have not gone off and read multiple opinions, for and against, so I'm going to try to stay neutral--but I have to say, it has a ring of truth to me. Link.

The Worst Possible Schedule​

Why do employers want these shifts? The first reason is they want continuous production, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They think 12 hour shifts are more productive because shift changes are supposed to be "unproductive." With 12 hour shifts there are fewer shift changes. Most will claim that by rotating the shifts, no one is stuck with working nights all the time. This is the worst possible shift schedule!

Most union and scientific studies show that this kind of shift is the most stressful, both mentally and physically. Worse, many unions realize that employers institute these shifts in order to make older workers quit. They want to have work-forces that are young (fewer vacation days; lower insurance and pension costs). But, in fact, it is not just "older" workers that cannot take the disruption in their personal lives and the fatigue caused by 12 hour shifts.

With a rotating shift the body never gets accustomed to working one time period. Studies show that workers on rotating shifts get far less sleep than do workers who work a steady night shift. With less sleep comes more fatigue and more accidents.

Employers like to entice workers to try these shifts by claiming that "you work fewer days per year for the same pay". While it is true that fewer days are worked because of the 12 hour shifts, studies show that most workers spend much of their extra "free" time sleeping.

Now I do understand, we want the lights on at night, and so many other services, and there's no getting around that. If I were starting out, I might be tempted, if the pay was good. But as I get older, the less I am interested in burning the candle from both ends. At some point, if I didn't love the job, I wouldn't stay.

As it is, I'm noticing an uptick in late night meetings and I'm questioning my need to do them. They were not required when I started, and while I know jobs morph over time, I'm not seeing how sustainable this could be. Having the potential for 8am and 8pm meetings in one day... that's going to get old.

I get that, I do. But given the choice, how many are going to say "sign me up!" Especially if they can find higher pay with more normal hours--or, let's say, same pay per hour, but again with normal hours.

When I looked up what a rotating shift was (just to make sure I wasn't wrong), I came across this union link which is rather negative of it. Now I'm not going to point to this as proof positive as I have not gone off and read multiple opinions, for and against, so I'm going to try to stay neutral--but I have to say, it has a ring of truth to me. Link.

Now I do understand, we want the lights on at night, and so many other services, and there's no getting around that. If I were starting out, I might be tempted, if the pay was good. But as I get older, the less I am interested in burning the candle from both ends. At some point, if I didn't love the job, I wouldn't stay.

As it is, I'm noticing an uptick in late night meetings and I'm questioning my need to do them. They were not required when I started, and while I know jobs morph over time, I'm not seeing how sustainable this could be. Having the potential for 8am and 8pm meetings in one day... that's going to get old.
The unions don’t like 12hr shifts since it takes less employees to cover the same time period, hence less dues. Ask any worker & they’ll tell you the 12’s are much nicer than 8’s on a shift schedule.

That said, most system operators make more than engineers. I moved to a smaller entity for the benefit package & less overtime. Took a 100k/yr pay cut to do it but my family time is more important than the additional money at this point of my career.

As far as finding a regular m-f 0700-1530 type of position for as much compensation as these positions offer, that’ll be a difficult proposition. Most system operators make 2-400/yr with outliers earning up to & slightly over 900/yr with excessive ot. Some inexpensive states may have lower wages in the 120-150 range.

The kids should be really trying to put in work early on to earn enough to establish themselves at home & then concentrate on a lateral into a dayshift position once financially stable. I worked with a guy that did just that. 5yr plan. He worked every ot shift he could (he was the 900/yr earner) had his house paid off, purchased 3 rentals with one paid off and transferred to a plant electrician position earning 150/yr plus occasional ot and a m-f 0700-1530 schedule. He was settled down in that role as an electrician by 33-34yrs old.

When people are spending 6 figures earning degrees that garner them 50-80/yr, that doesn’t make sense to me. Earn that as an apprentice & work up to system operator for a few years. There’s plenty of opportunities to either promote up or lateral somewhere else if you’re not disciplined enough to manage the schedule.

The schedules, even being 12’s, can also vary. Some are 7 on/7 off with either weekly, monthly or quarterly stints on days or nights. Others are a 4/3/3/4 type of schedule, some are two 8’s & two 12’s, really it depends on the needs of the business. My last employer had an 8wk schedule where I’d only work one week of nights every 8weeks.

Getting back to the getting older point you made. I understand that completely. These shifts do tend to get more difficult for people as they get past their mid 50’s or so. For me, shift work actually gives me more time with my family than a regular m-f schedule so I don’t really see very many negatives of it in my personal life. You do have to be disciplined though with sleep or you will put undue stress on your body & mental state.

What degree is needed for this job ?
No degree is required for most entities. A NERC system operator certification is required for system operators but getting in at the apprentice or trainee level will bypass that. Although passing the test (and retaining the license) will be a requirement for continued employment.

Back