What are you doing right now?

Watching Gus attack a marrow bone.

IMG_3244.jpeg

Why is a young guy who lives at home, has low income, hardly saves money, little life discipline even thinking about credit cards? Did I miss something?
I was thinking the same thing. Perfect time, depending on their attributes, to go back to school, get an apprenticeship, or begin a career with skills they may already possess. Start retirement savings now (interest & time are your friends here).

Good jobs/careers are out there. You just need to be prepared for them. Hell, I’m hiring a couple water & power dispatchers right now & the minimum qualifications aren’t out of reach for those with only a couple years experience in related fields. Training starts at over $50/hr with pension, 401k & 457b & we’re one of the lower paying organizations. Plenty of others out there if one’s looking to improve themselves.

I’ve got two. Not maxed but I do have a balance. My friend is wanting a card so he went thru CreditKarma card program and they gave him a secured card as a credit builder. He thought you didn’t have to pay it back which is why I was asking cause I couldn’t find the right answer online. We were under the impression it was like a debit card where you just spend what you have and that’s it.

Use your credit card to build a credit history and pay them off as quickly as possible.

You will need good credit score in the future.

If "as quickly as possible" means 100% in full every month that's only partially bad advice. If "as quickly as possible" means paying on them every month with a goal of hopefully paying them off it is completely bad advice. YMMV

I was thinking the same thing. Perfect time, depending on their attributes, to go back to school, get an apprenticeship, or begin a career with skills they may already possess. Start retirement savings now (interest & time are your friends here).

Good jobs/careers are out there. You just need to be prepared for them. Hell, I’m hiring a couple water & power dispatchers right now & the minimum qualifications aren’t out of reach for those with only a couple years experience in related fields. Training starts at over $50/hr with pension, 401k & 457b & we’re one of the lower paying organizations. Plenty of others out there if one’s looking to improve themselves.

What state are these good jobs located in ?

Use your credit card to build a credit history and pay them off as quickly as possible.

You will need good credit score in the future.
I made that mistake early on until I found out that you really want to pay the minimum payment "On Time " every month to establish credit. Right now the only bills I try to pay off quickly is my Mortgage .

My friend is wanting a card so he went thru CreditKarma card program and they gave him a secured card as a credit builder. He thought you didn’t have to pay it back ...
A credit card where I don't have to pay my charges back ... where do I sign up ?!? 😄

If "as quickly as possible" means 100% in full every month that's only partially bad advice.

How is paying the balance on a credit card off every month “partially bad advice”?
If you’re disciplined, a credit card is far superior and safer than a debit card,…or cash.
I use my credit card for everything, but there again, the posted balance due gets paid every week.

How is paying the balance on a credit card off every month “partially bad advice”?
If you’re disciplined, a credit card is far superior and safer than a debit card,…or cash.
I use my credit card for everything, but there again, the posted balance due gets paid every week.
And for every one who maybe is that disciplined and maybe not visited by finance aliens to cause a problem there are how many thousands without the discipline and paying usury monthly by their own choice and doing? And it's only one visit from the finance aliens to sabotage the previously disciplined. So partially bad advice.

If you’re disciplined, a credit card is far superior and safer than a debit card ...
Depends on the debit card. My debit card has the same protections from fraud charges as my credit card - ie, not responsible for the fraud. One advantage of my debit card is that I get a text notification within 5 minutes of using it, so if someone is doing fraud I will know almost instantly, and I can shut it off with a click of a button. With a credit card, the delay is much longer (days) before you can catch it.

I typically use my credit card because of the cash back, but it gets hacked about every 8 months for the last 4 years. Card fraud is rapid at an ever increasing pace, and I keep telling my credit card issuer that they need to have some kind of OTP (one time passcode sent to your phone) when the card is used. That would shut down card fraud.

And for every one who maybe is that disciplined and maybe not visited by finance aliens to cause a problem there are how many thousands without the discipline and paying usury monthly by their own choice and doing? And it's only one visit from the finance aliens to sabotage the previously disciplined. So partially bad advice.

A person has to build credit in this world that we live in, there’s no way around it. Having a credit card and using it to establish credit is a great way for someone to build their credit score. It MUST be paid in full and carry NO BALANCE from month to month. Paying the balance due weekly is the best way to go IMO.
If you spend $600 a week regardless if it’s a on a credit card, debit card, or just plain cash, you just as well use a credit card and pay the balance weekly on your online account. At least you can get a little something back in the form of your cards rewards program,..you won’t get that with cash or a debit card. Not to mention, using a debit card and paying cash do nothing for your credit score and you take more risks paying that way.

The “financial aliens”, as you put it, can visit whether you have a card or not,…that’s where some of the discipline comes into play. If you can’t pay for it now, don’t put it on a card.

Depends on the debit card. My debit card has the same protections from fraud charges as my credit card - ie, not responsible for the fraud. One advantage of my debit card is that I get a text notification within 5 minutes of using it, so if someone is doing fraud I will know almost instantly, and I can shut it off with a click of a button. With a credit card, the delay is much longer (days) before you can catch it.

I typically use my credit card because of the cash back, but it gets hacked about every 8 months for the last 4 years. Card fraud is rapid at an ever increasing pace, and I keep telling my credit card issuer that they need to have some kind of OTP (one time passcode sent to your phone) when the card is used. That would shut down card fraud.

We, my wife and I, get a text as soon as our credit card is used, it’s very quick. We don’t make it out of the store or log off of the computer before we get a text. Text notifications is the only way to go with a credit card.
I personally prefer a credit card because it isn’t tied directly to my bank account.

We, my wife and I, get a text as soon as our credit card is used, it’s very quick. We don’t make it out of the store or log off of the computer before we get a text.
Which credit card if you don't mind me asking. It must vary on the quickness of the text notification based on the card and issuer.

I haven't had a credit card in almost 30 years. It is not in any way a requirement to live. That's the line the card companies feed and many fall for it. I've never been turned down by a car company for their zero percent financing, the only loan I'll take out, and without any credit card to my name.

I haven't had a credit card in almost 30 years. It is not in any way a requirement to live. That's the line the card companies feed and many fall for it. I've never been turned down by a car company for their zero percent financing, the only loan I'll take out, and without any credit card to my name.

A car loan at 0% is still debt unless you pay it off at the end of the month. You may not pay interest, but it’s still debt.
As for the cards, it’s not a line, it’s a real way for disciplined young people to build up some credit. Not everyone wants to take out a car loan to build up credit.
How did you build up your credit score to allow a car loan at 0% if you don’t mind my asking?

Last edited:
Not at all, I don’t figure anyone can steal my info by telling you that it’s Capital One. 😉

I’m not giving you the number though. 😂
I really like my Capital One card for the cash back benefits. Especially on the MLB shop it gives me a huge discount. And it’s nice getting a discount at all the stores too. My Discover card is good too but Capital One has advantage in the rewards department in my opinion.

I really like my Capital One card for the cash back benefits. Especially on the MLB shop it gives me a huge discount. And it’s nice getting a discount at all the stores too. My Discover card is good too but Capital One has advantage in the rewards department in my opinion.

Try to get in a position that you can go online and pay the balance off weekly. Budget your finances.
Budget them to where you have money left over for savings.
You live at home with the folks, take advantage of that if you’re staying there for a while.
Using a little discipline, you’ll be fine.
Just remember, if you can’t pay for it now, you don’t have the cash in the bank, don’t use the card.

Cheers. 🍻

Back