What are the bidders catching on this to be auctioned today 2016 S550 w/ 43k miles that I am not?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
This to be auctioned today 2016 nominally equipped MB S550 with 43k is pre-bid now at $18,325. This MB is NOT well optioned and not a popular color, so all body parts needing replacement will very likely need to be painted (unlike a white car which one may be able to find matching body parts).

My GUESS:
New hood
New Bumper
New Headlights (headlights look fine- every time I inspect a MB after an accident like this at a minimum the tabs are busted, and almost always the lens have cracked). A set of these lights alone could easily run well over 2k.
New Radiator
New trans cooler
New condenser
New front radar system for cruise control
More than a handful of under hood structural parts.

May possibly be unibody damage.

At 18k pre-bid, that is 20k after auction fees. I can see this going at auction before fees at 21k plus.

I know used car market is insane, but hard to see how this makes financial sense for purchase. 20k is not chump change (except for Panda Bear). I estimate looking at a lot of money to get this car back to proper condition. If this was a 2k-6k gamble, one car recover some of the loss if not fixable by parting out. AT 20k+ wow. I don't see how this works.

Doesn't seem too bad. The air bags did not deploy. I could sleep at night repairing and reselling this vehicle vs a flooded car which is just irresponsible and borderline criminal.

The airbags aren't blown, and no apparent damage beyond the front end. Appears to have been a vehicle that was cared for. Interior looks very nice, without any crap or farkles inside.

Those are bonuses.

That bid has to be from someone who considers it their dream car. It's not hurt that bad with good air bags. Easy fix.

I noted the airbags are reported intact, but guess I never used that as a iron clad indicator front end damage is cosmetic/ minimal.

That bid has to be from someone who considers it their dream car. It's not hurt that bad with good air bags. Easy fix.
I think you may be spot on.

Easy fix........ hmmm.. the most expensive parts in a S-class are often at the front end.

The headlamps alone at near wholesale price are abour $1650 each- that is before taxes and shipping. I suspect retail they run over 2k each. Bumper and all its lights.... very pricey. Have to assume lots of the front end wiring has been cut...... Easy fix, yes. But a huge laundry list oif very expensive parts is what my math tells me. If this was 10+ years old, parts cost, used parts, etc are not so bad.

You apparently know nothing about how some cars are declared flood.
Correct I'm not in the business of trying to slice and dice which cars were kinda-flooded from those were were actually flooded. I do know enough about how wiring is damaged and how that damage may take some time to reveal itself.

I think you may be spot on.

Easy fix........ hmmm.. the most expensive parts in a S-class are often at the front end.

The headlamps alone at near wholesale price are abour $1650 each- that is before taxes and shipping. I suspect retail they run over 2k each. Bumper and all its lights.... very pricey. Have to assume lots of the front end wiring has been cut...... Easy fix, yes. But a huge laundry list oif very expensive parts is what my math tells me. If this was 10+ years old, parts cost, used parts, etc are not so bad.
Insures are getting more comfortable with totaling these vehicles because of all the sensors and wiring located up front.

Doesn't seem too bad. The air bags did not deploy. I could sleep at night repairing and reselling this vehicle vs a flooded car which is just irresponsible and borderline criminal.
Drove my Hurricane Harvey salvage flooded S-class S500 to work this morning. Over 60k trouble free miles. Drove my Florida flooded S550 to work one day last week. I think flooded cars that are repaired by flippers to make a fast buck are likely a pass, as may be some collision cars flipped to make a fast buck.

There is no standardized definition of a flooded vehicle- from a sun roof left opened for a hour to being submerged in the Atlantic ocean for the day- they are classified as "flood". I prefer flood vehicles over collisional vehicles. I take my time and go through everything, if it needs it or not.

Just took a second look at started to blow up the pictures. This car will also need a new right fender, bumper support, I could go on and on.

My guess at least 8k in parts alone- not including labor.

Car is now up to 20k pre-bid, so that's likely 22k with auction fees, before sales tax, and transport from the auction yard. Would not shock me the winning Bidder has $25k in this car before it leaves the auction lot on a transporter. Just caught only one key- that's a hassle to get a second key and likely $400-700 USD for the second key.

Taking a third look- undercarriage damage officially listed. The few cars I purchased with undercarriage damage had unibody damage...

Sold for $23,050 Doral, FL. That is before auction fees, so about $25k. Transport from North Carolina another $500-$1000.

Wow. The other bidder was from Houston. So maybe this car between Doral FL and Houston equates to being loaded on a cargo ship and off to a developing or third world country.

Book values when fixed (ignoring title status) is in the 50k range right? People are more willing to take a bad carfax or branded title out of desperation. Perhaps the buyer can easily get $4x,xxx out this when fixed and make money.

This is a example of a flood vehicle one might want to avoid. The water line is very clear. What is worse about this car is not only the flood, but water has been sitting in this vehicle for over 100 days (I know the flood water drained out but the residual water remains.

Back