what are good computer specs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see terms like sata, ide, different hd speeds for hds. which is best? also, for mobo, fsb speeds,ram with different specs.Cpu,what brand? Internal or external modem? Integrated or pci card?If i were to assemble one, what would i look for ,so that nothing is a bottle neck? It would be used for everything.I haven't seen something to choose from like this on the 'net.Thanks

When you find something that works for everything and doesn't have any bottlenecks, let me know cause I want one to! It ain't gonna happen.

Seriously though, SATA is the latest hard drive interface, PCI Express is the latest video card interface, don't get integrated graphics on the motherboard. Intel has the fastest CPU but AMD is almost as fast but costs less. If you are in Los Angelas like your sig says then you probably don't need a modem unless you are still using dial-up.

Go to Tiger Direct.com and see what they have for building one. Don't scrimp on the power supply or RAM memory or the Hard Drive. If you do a lot of gaming they can fix you up. Personally, I want the fastest clock speed in the processor, probably a "dual core" from Intel or AMD, and at least 1024M of RAM, and a TeraBite on a fast spinning Hard Drive.

I might assemble one,but i;m not in a hurry.Toyotansaturn,I'm just studying up first for a while and then i might buy pieces off ebay.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
, don't get integrated graphics on the motherboard.

There is nothing wrong with integrated graphics on the Mbrd as long as it meets you present needs and you can plug in a video card later if you want to.

Originally Posted By: mountravlr
Go to Tiger Direct.com and see what they have for building one. Don't scrimp on the power supply or RAM memory or the Hard Drive. If you do a lot of gaming they can fix you up. Personally, I want the fastest clock speed in the processor, probably a "dual core" from Intel or AMD, and at least 1024M of RAM, and a TeraBite on a fast spinning Hard Drive.

Even better, check out geeks.com They have killer prices on stuff. When I get some extra $$ I'm thinking about getting a new AMD board/memory/harddisk to update my 4-5 year old 1.1ghz Athlon. I built it in an Antec case and still no problems.

Originally Posted By: XS650

There is nothing wrong with integrated graphics on the Mbrd as long as it meets you present needs and you can plug in a video card later if you want to.

x2.. I've even seen that some boards come with NVidia/ATI chipsets that can play games fairly well. Although separate is a definate must if you want max speed.

As bitogers we should know better than to follow building guides posted on a retail site. Go to a really knowledgeable, accessable place without an agenda like http://www.tomshardware.com or http://www.anandtech.com and do research on current technologies and which brands test well for the kind of use you want. Deciding on your processor, motherboard and (depending on application) graphics card are not decisions to make lightly. Understand the pros and cons of each type and variant and read many independent reviews (not necessarily user reviews.) Try to get an at least rudimentary knowledge of way different chips handle data. This will help you understand your bottlenecks. When choosing hard disks I go for reliability over speed. Seagate and Maxtor are about the only good brands left. I recommend a drive bay mounted cooler for your drive.

As a personal suggestion - don't buy a technology that hasn't already been out a year. This will not only save you alot of cash, but you won't have to deal with the bugs inherent to new technology.

If I were you I'd wait a little while longer for the i7 from intel to mature and then build a system based on that, but if you can't wait or want to keep it cheap a late 45nm Core 2 Quad would be great. The fastest chips on the market always run right about $1000 wheras perfectly decent ones will go for ~$250.

Depends on what you are doing with your computer. For gaming, you want the better mid/high end graphics like nVidia GTX or the ATI 2xxx lines of chips. For regular home use or office use, any integrated graphics in the last 1-2 years are good enough.

For laptop, make sure you buy something with a mobile processor instead of the desktop ones. Desktop processors can easily overheat and shorten its life compare to the mobile ones.

At least 2GB of ram, desktop or laptop. 4GB would be ideal for today's price. Only SATA drives are used now, PATA/IDE are antiques for aftermarket only. Try to get one with DVD R drive, or upgrade it after you bought the machine, they are only $20-30.

To me Intel/AMD are about the same, both good enough for the price. If you are into overclocking Intel's wolfdale (Pentium E, with 2MB cache, I think) chip is very good overclockers.

In terms of build quality, you get what you pay for and most OEM components are low/acceptable quality compare to the high end components you get from name brands in components market.

Basics:

1. Quad core Processor (AMD or Intel)with good heatsink/fan
2. ASUS makes good motherboards
3. At least 2-4 gig of at least PC6400 DDR2 or the new DDR3
4. 500 gig harddrive at least (Sata)
5. Dedicated PCIe2 video card with 500 mg to 1 gig RAM
6. Internal modem is fine (rarely used)
7. Good powerful power supply ( 600-1,000 watt )
8. Good case design with room to expand and fans
9. Combo Dvd/CD Writer drive

Tigerdirect or Newegg has the parts at good prices or barebones kits already made up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Basics:

Tigerdirect or Newegg has the parts at good prices or barebones kits already made up.

In many cases, a fast dual core gives you better result than a slow quad core.

Ram type (DDR2 or 3) should match the motherboard/chipset type, and no, DDR3 is not faster than DDR2 and it is not on massive discount like DDR2. It is the future direction that will one day replace DDR2 but not yet.

No one is using dial up now so no need for modem, cable and DSL will give you the appropriate modem free after rebate (or you can buy your own if you know what is needed).

In power supply, quality counts more than size, and unless you are doing SLI there is no need to go over 500W (I'm happy with my 300W)

Why stop at DVD ROM / CD writer when you can get DVD writer for only $25?

Basics:

BIGTIME OVER-KILL FOR ME!!! I'll never even use 80 or so mb of hd,or need over 500 watts of power,

I thought you didn't want any bottlenecks?

Large Hard drives have come way down in price. You may never need it but the size is there in case.You could pay 40.00 for a 80 gig but only 70.00 for a 500 gig.

Last edited:
First look for the Apple on the back/top and start there for a new computer. LOL

I gave up on PC's. Don't want another.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: XS650

You are correct, but the initial post said that he wanted it to work for everything (I assumed that meant gaming) and didn't want it to be obsolete right away. Based on that information I would recommend a video card right away.

I thought you didn't want any bottlenecks?
I really don't want to, but there's a limit

Large Hard drives have come way down in price. You may never need it but the size is there in case.You could pay 40.00 for a 80 gig but only 70.00 for a 500 gig.
this one sells like a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back