What about Suzuki vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the thread asking about Kia vehicles was interesting and full of good information. I'm considering a Suzuki Aerio SX hatchback/wagon or whatever it is. I was wondering what experiences folks here have had with Suzuki vehicles. I'm going to the Auto Show in Tampa tonight to take another look.

I think their motorcycle experience has helped them design decent engines and over all I think that they are great vehicles.
My experience:
I bought a new 1989 Sidekick 1.6L/5 speed 4WD. It was a cool little truck. The only thing I ever did to it were oil changes, a couple valve lash adjustments(per factory service interval), and a clutch. It was a great off roader too. I gave it to my brother a while back with 210,000 miles on it and he drove it for 4+ more years. He finally sold it last winter with 300,000+ miles on it. The only thing wrong was the body rot (thanks to New England's winter roads).

In 2001, my wife and I bought a 1998 Chevy Tracker 4 door 4WD(made by Suzuki) with a 1.6L/4spd auto and fully loaded with air, pwr windows, etc... I do regular oil changes, maintenance items(valve lash,timing belt, etc.), and that's it. It only has 64K miles (it's a 2nd car) but it's never let us down, even when our new Malibu Maxx LT needed to go to the shop multiple times for multiple problems. It can tow 1500lbs (a couple of ATVs) and has been awesome.

Without going into detail, we are currently engaged in legal action with GM regarding our Malibu and if it goes our way, we will be heading down to Suzuki to check out the XL7 and possibly their car offerings.

In 1996, I bought a new Suzuki X-90 4WD for my stepdaughter, 1.6 litre four banger (gutless, she complained endlessly about that - to deaf ears) and an auto tranny. I think it is (was) basically a Sidekick with a funky two seat car body on the frame.

She still has the car; it now has about 45K on it, but ceased being her daily driver several years ago.

I have replaced the front brake pads (once), the timing belt, the coolant hoses, the belts, a couple of batteries, a couple of sets of spark plugs, a set of tires, and a starter motor. It's had 3K oil and tranny fluid changes, and every other year on the coolant. It is a very easy car to work on - the only failure in the entire time of owning it would be the starter motor (and when she ran over one of the T-Tops, but can't blame the car for that) - all else was just preventive work.

It has a SOLID box steel frame, and very solid steel body panels, unlike the usual Honyota stuff whose body panels are so thin they can be indented with a firm push from your finger. Interior is cheap plastic and cheap cloth, consistent with similar vintage asian cars.

The only other asian car I have ever owned or bought was a new Honda Prelude, and the Suzuki was a vastly better car in every regard than the Honda, in my opinion.

She bought a new car a few weeks ago but did not buy another Suzuki; she got a Toyota Four Runner, but she still keeps the Suzuki. I'm sure that says something, but I'm not sure what .....

Zaedock sez-
"You mean the Chevy Aveo?

No, it's not. The Aveo is made by Daewoo, a Korean company. "

GM and Suzuki jointly own the now bankrupt Daewoo company!

Chevy Aveo = Suzuki Swift+ (Canada) = Daewoo Kalos.
Aerio is noticeably bigger then Aveo and they have absolutely nothing in common.
I own '04 SX FWD and I'm really happy with my car. I use it as my daily commuter, 40 km one way.
It is really loaded with features for its price, and with current financing options it offers very good value for the money.
No major issues at 65k km and two years. I only had to re-program key fobs and to change rear shocks, under warranty. I could have lived with old shocks, they were not too bad, but the service manager was really cool to go ahead with the change.

What will be your driving pattern?

If you seriously consider the car, ask your questions, there are a couple of Aerio owners here, we'll help.

I test drove the Aerio, but wound up buying the 2005 Forenza wagon. I have had it for about 9 months and 11,000 miles. It's a very nice small car for a budget price.

Yes, it's made by GM in South Korea at the former Daewoo plant, with a GM-Holden engine, and a ZF transmission. I had a couple of minor problems, but the Suzuki organization really stands behind their vehicles. It's a keeper. I would highly recommend it.

I've heard that suzuki cars are reliable but do not get near the gas mileage of corolla's or civics. I really like the Forenza, the fit and finish looks good and they come pretty loaded with equipment too. Anyone have a Forenza??

I'm a big fan of the vehicle.
If that matters, Aerio is built in Japan. It has Suzuki's J23 2.3L DOHC engine, 155HP. Cams are chain-driven, the engine is very torqey (sp). It takes 5w-30 or 10w-30 oil, depending on the temperature.
The car does not have very large aftermarket support, so if you're into heavy mods, this is not your cup of tea.
The trunk is very usable; I only wish they put folding trunk cover instead of the hard cover. I have transported 27" tube TV, standard dishwasher and other odd stuff with the hatch closed no problem.
I have automatic and I average 30MPG in 40/60 city/highway mix.

"I've heard that suzuki cars are reliable but do not get near the gas mileage of corolla's or civics."

And that's pretty understandable giving the engine size and power differences.

quote:

for a low cost car, I think Hyundai is far better than Suzuki

Hyundai does not offer a station wagon, has less features, and costs more. Suzuki also has a fully transferable warranty. Hyundai only lets you transfer the powertrain warranty to an immediate family member.

I have nothing bad to say about my Forenza. My observed fuel economy is actually better than the EPA figures.

I just totaled my Aerio, but it was a good little car. I would definetely recommend it as a quality car, especially for the price. I dont know who said its the same as those Korean Chevy;s, but they are wrong. My Aerio was made in Hiroshima, Japan.

When i totaled it she had about 45k on it and was still going strong. My only suggestion would be not to use M1 in it as its a little tappy when you do so.

quote:

Hyundai does not offer a station wagon, has less features, and costs more. Suzuki also has a fully transferable warranty. Hyundai only lets you transfer the powertrain warranty to an immediate family member.

The Hyundai powertrain ( and everything else ) is covered for any subsequent owners under the 5 year/60K mile bumper to bumper warranty...

I also own a 2003 Suzuki Aerio SX automatic transmission...I LOVE this car!!! Its my second Suzuki, first one being a Geo Metro(same as the Swift). Suzuki(Japan) makes very reliable cars, requiring the usual maintence...easy to work on with plenty of under hood space with very few busted knuckles as a major plus.

For the price and its competition the car is pretty fast, even with my automatic I cant complain one bit...the car is very peppy and passes with ease.

As far as Mobil 1, Ive used it from the first oil change...Ive got no complaints, works great for me! And many others I know use it religously. Maybe its your filter, I know many complain about the PureOne and start up noise, but even there I have no complaints.

Id love to help you dicide on your new Aerio, if you have any other questions feel free and ask...but for more info goto http://www.aeriostyle.com/forum/

Lots of bang for the buck...you wont be disappointed!!! "Make the smart move!"

Also, I would not recommend the Korean Daewoo Suzukis...but thats just me.

The reason I'm asking about the Aerio and Suzuki in general is because I saw the Aerio at the auto show either in 2003 or 2004 and I liked it.

Now that gas is getting so expensive I figured that an inexpensive, fuel efficient car might be in the near future for us.

I really don't want to buy a new car because of the premium you pay for a new car, I've always bought used, but I'm getting tired of repairing used cars, it's stressful and a hassle. I usually keep a car for a long time.

I like mini vans because of the utility as far as being able to haul stuff around and more passenger capcity, but my kids are getting grown up and my passenger needs are not that much any more.

The main concerns are reliability, fuel economy and comfort. I'm not looking for a fast car or to customize it with spoilers, ground effects, decals, or special body parts and I'm not looking for anything flashy, just a decent, reliable, economical car that's not butt ugly or too tiny.

Sounds like the Aerio is the perfect car for you then. I'd say go for it if you;re in the market for a car.

Aerio is as "tough" as the small car can get.

I liked bigger engine (no replacement for displacement) which is better thing in the long run. I also hope to keep the car for as long as it gets.

In the fuel economy department everything depends on your driving style. I normally drive as my grandpa would, so my fuel economy is pretty decent, given the displacement and the car profile. Others are doing worse, some people are better then I. What drives me nuts is that V6 Impala gets pretty close mileage too...

It is pretty comfortable car; I like the adjustable driver's seat. I sit quite high which gives decent view. The back seats are higher then front, passengers are very comfortable there.
There were very few TSBs on this car, and most are about minor things. Very few owners had major problems like spun bearings (covered under warranty), but I'd blame user error (excessively abusive driving style, to say it politely)...

Utility was one of my priorities. I wish rear seats would fold with the headrests on, but oh well. The car still offers ample cargo.

I'd strongly suggest that you visit online forums related to whatever cars you consider. Filter out everything that kids call "modifications" and take a look at the problems that owners have. I closely monitor Matrix and Mazda3 forums in that regard, and I should admit that I'm lucky I didn't buy one of these.

You can always go for used ’04 or even ‘05, you should be able go get very decent price. Mind though that pre- ’05 models have digital dash that I like very much. I wouldn’t ever trade for needles.

And of course you have to drive every car you consider, and not just for a few minutes with the sales guy on your back.

I think as long as you don't get the daewoo made ones, you would probably be fine. It's not that those are bad, but the real Suzukis are even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back