What about Suzuki vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Aerio has an odd driving position. Not "bad' or "uncomfortable" . . . just different. Make sure you take it on a long test drive to make sure you can get comfortable with it.
The 'woos are more conventional in this regard. The Forenza outsells the comparably priced Aerio about 10 to one.

I agree, but to me it is closer to minivan position, and I think he'd like it. If "conventional" means sitting just inches from the road with knees just below the shoulder level, then yes, Aerio is different. You open the door and actually sit instead of sliding down...
On Forenza outselling Aerio, I think it is most likely because of the public conservatism. Aerio is different in many regards, including its looks. But if you dig it, Forenza had (and most likely still has) way more TSBs and actual problems that Suzuki has to fix. I'm not badmouthing the car, but facts are facts.

I saw a NEW Forenza on ebay from a dealer for a ridiculously low buy-it-now price of like $10,500 recently. Not the station wagon one, the regular little puddle jumper car one. That is gosh darn cheap compared to what most cars are selling for these days. That's less than a Neon, Ford Focus, Civic, Sentra, Corolla etc. Seems like Suzuki is being pretty agressive in their pricing and wants to get some market share?

I need to look at the Forenza and compare it to the Aerio. I liked the looks of the Aerio wagon, but maybe I'm quirky as far as that goes. I also like the little Toyota that is competing with the Aerio, the Matrix. I need to see if I can get in and out of the Aerio without too much trouble, I'm a bit portly, LOL. That's one thing I really like about minivans, very easy to get into and out of.

"I've heard that suzuki cars are reliable but do not get near the gas mileage of corolla's or civics."

And that's pretty understandable giving the engine size and power differences.

The engine in the Forenza is around 130 HP?? I'm sure the Corolla and Civic put out similar HP numbers (or more) and get better MPG, the engine sizes are similar to Sukuzi. I recently drove a 2004 Corolla and averaged 40 MPG on the highway. I'm not bad mouthing Suzuki's, it just seems that their MPG's overall can not match other imports.

I agree, but I was talking about Aerio which has 2.3L and 155HP.
40MPG (for how many miles have you driven this thing?) sounds like really good mileage. I doubt Matrix would get the same fuel economy because of the body style.

Stogiedude , if you can get Matrix loaded the same way as Aerio has been, and you like the price, by all means go for it. It is more popular and normally has higher resale value. Although it could be a tough call to actually find that heck of a deal... Matrix is really overpriced to my mind.

quote:

But if you dig it, Forenza had (and most likely still has) way more TSBs and actual problems that Suzuki has to fix. I'm not badmouthing the car, but facts are facts.

Forenza had a list of new model problems, but I think they've been solved, and they were minor. The most recent engine and transmission firmware has improved fuel economy and drivability a lot. The forenza is much quieter than the Matrix/Vibe.

The one thing to watch out for with the Aerio is the recurring tire wear and wheel alignment issues with the all wheel drive models.

As far as popularity, I think the styling has something to do with it, along with the cargo capacity . . . and of course, price. I was looking for a wagon with a decent sized cargo area, and the Forenza beat the Matrix and the Aerio by a wide margin. . . Plus the sound system is great.

The Forenza has more cargo capacity than the Aerio? Didn't know that, gonna check that out, thanks.

The other economy vehicle I have been interested in is the Scion "box".

Again, maybe it's my quirky taste in styling, but I like it. It's one of those vehicles that people either like or hate.

I want the ability to flip the rear seats down(or remove them) and put a bunch of stuff in. This is something I am going to really use to compare different vehicles and an important feature to me.

It's not something you need every day, but when you do it's great to have some space in back. That's the main shortcoming of most regular cars and why I can't see ever having just a car.

I say buy a used Aerio for around $8,000 and you're golden. Awesome car for the money even if you buy it new. Not even the Scion has as many features as the Aerio for the same price. You can't go wrong. As for the gas mileage it all depends on how you drive it. Drive it hard and you'll be geting 20-24 MPG. If you're nice to it I've heard of them getting 34 MPG.

Just went to the Suzuki website and compared the Forenza and the Aerio SX and the Forenza wagon is 13 inches longer and has twice the cargo area of the Aerio in back. The Aerio gets 25 mpg in the city compared to the Fronza 21 mpg in the city, big difference if gas goes to $3 or $4+ a gallon.

Little cars with little engines, you would think they would get even better than that. Decisions, decisons . . .

I have kept track of my Forenza wagon fuel economy on a few (mostly 70 mph plus highway) trips. My fuel economy has ranged from 23 mpg with a car grossly overloaded with my daughter's college stuff and a with a roof top carrier to as high 33 mpg with a driver and 3 passengers. (I have the automatic.)

No, it's not great, but mine beats the EPA ratings. It weighs in at almost 3,000 lbs . . . very solid. It also has effective but restrictive intake and exhaust silencing, and is tuned for very low emissions. It does not have variable valve timing, which might hurt the fuel economy a bit. The horsepower figure is not high, but the engine produces its torque at a fairly low RPM, so drivability is better than other cars that produce peak torque near red line.

There is an online forum dedicated to Suzuki cars called Suzuki-Forums but unfortunately it's mostly populated by adolescent racer wanna-be types with poor English skills.

I bought my Forenza S wagon with automatic for $13,100 plus tax. Even at $3 a gallon, I'd have to drive a comparably equipped Matrix for a LOT of years to make up the price difference with fuel savings. Plus (especially since I took off the Suzuki Forenza emblems) I can have some fun with people trying to figure out what it is.

[ November 12, 2005, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: BigAl ]

Dang, that's pretty cheap for a brand new car.

Until I saw them at the autoshow I really wasn't aware of Suzukis. Didn't pay any attention to them. Only model I every really saw or noticed was the Sidekick on the road. Lately I've seen some Aerios which surprised me.

Yes it's a good price. Also, I'm big and really tall. There are few cars I can sit in without my head hitting the roof. The Forenza interior is quite ample.

The Aerio is similar in that regard. But there's not much space behind the back seat. That's OK for a commuter car, but mine doubles as a truck fairly often. I'm constantly amazed by how much car it is for the money. Suzuki has a winner there. They are very popular everywhere but the USA. They have the best selling model in Japan. They are really pushing to increase sales here and I think they are trying to "buy" market share. I'll take advantage of that.

Well, I went to the autoshow Saturday and took a good long look at the Aerio. The Aerio is a very nice, inexpensive car with some nice features and visually the quality looks very good, but this is all without driving one.

The driver's seat is very comfortable and I sat in the passenger seat behind the driver, that was comfortable too.

I folded down the rear seats and the cargo space is large with a nice plus-under the floor in the back above where the spare tire is located is an additional storage compartment with individual sections where you can put all kinds of stuff.

This car is almost exactly what I'm looking for. The price is good, but I wish it was even better.

If you add automatic trans, tax, etc. this vehicle is over $17,000 and to me that's just too much money. When you compare that to what most other new cars are selling for it's a great deal for what you get with the Aerio, but the premium you pay for buying a new car is too much for me to wrap my brain and my wallet around.

I'll just have to deal with the hassle and stress of repairing used cars for now.

"I'll just have to deal with the hassle and stress of repairing used cars for now."

I don't think you have to. If it is about Aerio, you're talking about MSRP. Individual dealers will definitely sale for less. In fact, way less with incentives and just a bit of negotiations.
Many US owners on the Aerio forum paid from $13.5K to $14.5K for their cars. Some even managed to fit taxes into that price. $17K seems too high by all means.

That sounds better. I would much rather drive a new car and have nothing to worry about for 5 years except oil changes and brakes. That puts it closer into the almost ridiculouly cheap price range that I'd like to get down into.

On a side note, another Suzuki that I saw at the auto show that really impressed me was the Verona. I really liked it and so did my son.

The Veron has nice styling, the paint was smooth as silk, the leather interior was plush and rich looking, the trunk is HUGE, decent mileage-overall a very nice car IMO.

When you compare this car to others at the show in the same class, comparably equipped etc., it seemed like a smokin good deal. This thing was loaded and the sticker price was $20k and change. Find a dealer willing to wheel and deal, knock of a couple of options and you have a really nice car for probably around $16k-$17k out the door. Still more than I want to spend. I'll have to wait a couple of years and try to find a used one where someone else has taken the new car depreciation already.

One thing about the Verona that is a question in my mind is that it's all Korean, parts and assembly and I don't know if that's good or bad. The Aerio is all Japanese and based on other cars coming out of Japan I'd say that's probaly a good selling point.

Its also helpful to know that Suzuki has had the number one best selling small car in Japan for the last 4 years.

If buying Korean, Id rather buy a Hyundai. The interiors on the Daewoos are impressive and I can see why GM bought them, but the vehicles dont move me...they do wonderful things with plastics that give their cars(as well as GMs) that increased sense of value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back