What about 2000-2006 Ford Ranger 4x4s?

I'm looking for a decent, used 4x4 with minimal rust. I owned a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Xj Sport a few years ago but sold it and was looking at those too. My primary use will be driving it on the beach in the off season in NJ to surf and fish. I know the Cherokee xj potential issues pretty well but am not familiar with the Ford Rangers or Nissan Frontiers either. Thoughts?

Rust is a problem on these, too, and it seems like the newer the model the worse the rustproofing is.

Rear forward spring shackles are a good bellweather.

They are (were) going up in price as people realize and appreciate their smallness, but the Maverick might deflate this enthusiasm when enough of them are on the roads.

Ford Ranger will be cheaper to fix, better parts availability which is important on an older vehicle.

I've driven both, the Nissan Frontier in 4.0L trim is a lot of fun if you like power. The only major issue I'm aware of is the transmission can get coolant in it (and vice versa and potentially cause transmission failure if not caught in time) due to a faulty seal in the transmission cooler (which is part of the radiator). It's also a larger truck, so the Ranger tends to be more economical in day to day driving, but especially when it comes time to repair.

The Ranger was an older, well sorted out platform in those years, so not many issues that I'm aware of other than rust (which seems to be common on all the small pickups).

Frontiers up to '08-'09? had the bad transmission cooler in the radiator IIRC. love the fact the interiors remained plain.
The 4.ol SOHC Ranger engine benefited from pumped up tensioners (pedal down, 8 second crank). better than the anemic 3l (they tell me).

How many miles were on your XJ when you sold it? Sis' had 171K as I recall and didn't miss a beat....bad black paint though.

Last edited:
Frontiers up to '08-'09? had the bad transmission cooler in the radiator IIRC. love the fact the interiors remained plain.
The 4.ol SOHC Ranger engine benefited from pumped up tensioners (pedal down, 8 second crank). better than the anemic 3l (they tell me).

How many miles were on your XJ when you sold it?
211,000. I bought it with 150,000 on it. Think I paid $4500 for it in 2012. Sold it in 2017.

I had a 2001 Ranger with the 4.0. I sold it when it blew a head gasket for the second time. Gas mileage was about 15 mpg on the highway due to the 4:10 gears and mud tires I had. Everything else was good.

I loved my 2002 ranger with the 4.sohc Didnt have any major issues before I traded it at 80000miles.

The timing chain tensioner recall where they only updated the front one iirc.

Pinion seal leak in the rear and a few other minor things.

I did relatively beat the crap out of it offroad though.(infrequently)

Rust is a serious frame issue on 1994–2011 Rangers that have been exposed to salt. It can not only break rear spring shackles, but the truck can literally break in half if the rust has eaten through the frame. Undercoating and rustproofing when new would have prevented that, of course, but Ford seems to have used the cheapest black paint it could find for the frame. The full-sized trucks had the same potential problem.

Aftermarket Ranger frame components are available for repairs, but you're talking serious work now.

Get the cleanest Ranger from that era you can find, and check the frame carefully (few people do).

I'd still take it over the vulcan.
The 4.0 SOHC is a good engine if you use decent oil and replace the hydraulic chain tensioners in the heads every 75,000 miles or so. They and the necessary metal ring gaskets are $100 or so from Ford. Others recommend not to use aftermarket for these parts.

I paid a mechanic buddy to change them on mine, but the do-it-yourselfers on a Ranger forum said they got both changed themselves in an hour or so. My buddy also changed other parts including the idler and tensioner pulleys, serpentine belt, water pump, and thermostat housing (with an aftermarket aluminum unit). Before he started the work, I primed the tensioners with the same Amsoil oil I use in the engine.

If the 4.0 SOHC is maintained and PM'd, it's supposedly good for 300,000+ miles, according to some high-mileage Ranger owners.

The 3.0 Vulcan V-6, though durable, was not a good engine in Rangers.

Rust is really your biggest concern, and that applies to any 20 year old truck.

I daily drive a SOHC 4.0 1997 Explorer with 234,000 miles. It's 2WD, but has a torsion bar suspension like a 4WD or Edge trim level Ranger would. I've had plenty of things replaced on it (ball joints, fuel pump, water pump & thermostat housing, alternator), but everything has been available and the only way you would know it has 234k is by looking at the odometer. The prior owner had it for 20 years, so that probably has helped too. It doesn't get great fuel economy, but other than that 95-01 Explorers are great daily drivers. If it chews up its timing chains, I'm still probably getting another one or even fixing this one (not a single rip on the seats, crack on the dash, headliner bubble, nothing).

I also own a 3.0 Vulcan 2002 Ranger 2WD that I have had for 14 years. It has about 256k miles and has been a great truck over the years, but is getting tired. The engine acts up in colder temps until it warms up. I think it's camshaft wear. I put in a Motorcraft cam synchro back in December and that did not fix it, until it warmed up. Right now if I go and start it, give it a minute to warm up, and drive it, it would be fine. If it was 50*F outside though, it would definitely start bucking when I pull on to the main road and make a chirping noise at idle. The engine and transmission have never been out of this truck in its entire life, and the heads have never been removed, I know because my parents bought it new. It doesn't owe anyone anything at this point, and I'll keep it around as long as I can, but given the rough condition of the body probably won't rebuild/replace the engine. Never thought the 5R44E would go 256k miles, at least 10k of that towing trailers, and never have any problems.

Personally, I'd look for a government fleet 98-01 OHV 4.0 Explorer. As humble as they look, sometimes they checked every box like 4.10 gear ratio, limited slip rear end, tow package, etc. I'm talking about plain XLS with black bumpers and a tape player, government seal outline on the front doors, and 120k miles.

K8948.jpeg

One more thing...while Explorer bodies are more prone to rust than the Ranger, the frames seem to hold up better. I had a 95 Explorer with no rocker panels, but the frame was fine.

Last edited:
They are all old enough now that the ones left are mostly all used up. Rust is going to be an issue, even if you cant see it, it’s there.
Front ends will have issues - ball joints, wheel bearings, axle seals leaking…they are a 1-of-a kind small truck now, but they will be work.

You could use this one 🤣. It looks to be in good shape and has oversized tires for your beach driving.

Just my $0.02

Attachments

• 7C809EFF-4A53-4033-9B1C-66928CFE7423.jpeg
    7C809EFF-4A53-4033-9B1C-66928CFE7423.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 7
take a good look at the timming chain system on the 4.0 ohc engine before you think of buying one. its an engine out job to do them all. all3 ! my neighbors locked up at 140k due to broken timming chains. what a pos desighn. shame on ford

Back