What a site!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read a lot of posts here on this site....my opinion on oil is that if you change your oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months whichever comes FIRST it absolutely does NOT matter which oil you use BRAND wise! Dino or SYN. Now, if you change less often SYN maybe better than DINO.

I use whatever I can get on sale in my two 3.8 GM engines. 10-30 but I do use a thinner 5-30 in the winter. I will even mix brands of the same viscosity I DONT THINK IT MATTERS if you change it often and why not? Peace of mind and if you can do it 4 times a year for $8 to $12 who cares?

Now, the oil filter analysis here impressed me greatly. I have used all kinds of filters neever thinking of oil FLOW. Supertech at Wal-mart $2.07 at WAL MART plus tax has great flow and this PuroPP sounds great! I will never buy FRAM again!

Change it often and always change the filter! Keep enough in and relax!

Jeez...Your username reminds me of the FRAM commercial.
lol.gif

Your theory is correct, as long as the oil is changed at reasonable intervals, it does not matter whether its dino or syn.

However, I'd have to disagree with your 3mo/3K service interval. Unless you operate under some seriously severe conditions, it is unnecessary. A 6mo service interval, provided that the mileage is
Now whats the story with 5w-30 and 10w-30? 10w-30 will do just fine year 'round, unless you live in Antartica. I doubt it'll make a noticeable difference which one you use, regardless of the climate in the Rocky Mountains area.

Lastly, consider doing oil analysis esp. if you have a 3800 GM engine. That engine CAN have intake manifold gasket leaks, and antifreeze WILL cause rapid sludge formation in the engine!

Michael

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:
Jeez...Your username reminds me of the FRAM commercial.
lol.gif

Your theory is correct, as long as the oil is changed at reasonable intervals, it does not matter whether its dino or syn.
///
Now whats the story with 5w-30 and 10w-30? 10w-30 will do just fine year 'round, unless you live in Antartica. I doubt it'll make a noticeable difference which one you use, regardless of the climate in the Rocky Mountains area.
///
Michael

Well I don't live in antartica - just the eastern slope of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. There is a significant difference between 5w30 and 10w30 at cranking and startup at -25F... and an even greater difference comparing dino to synthetic.....

My vehicles are garaged overnite in the winter but sit out all day and into the evening during the week. and I would rather have the quicker lube to the bearings of the freer flowing oil in a 5w30 or a 0w30. The only possible advantage of a 10w30 over the 5w or 0w30 is price (IMHO)tho it might be possible to persuade me otherwise.

JD

quote:

Now whats the story with 5w-30 and 10w-30? 10w-30 will do just fine year 'round, unless you live in Antartica.

quote:

Well I don't live in antartica - just the eastern slope of the Canadian Rocky Mountains.

That will qualify....
grin.gif

offtopic.gif
Ya!!!!!!!!!!! and it feels like it today and the last week too. I must've slept thru the day we had summer this year!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

JD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back