Wet Tool Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys treat your tools if they get wet? I'm talking ratchets, wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers etc.

I had a few that were soaked in antifreeze last weekend and did a simple WD40 spray and wipe.

Auto antifreeze has corrosion suppressant and have seen RC modelers use the stuff to cook out and clean the motors. You did the right thing.

That all I do. You might want to throw the ratchets in ATF over the weekend or when your not using them, only the ratchet head needs to go in. It really helps lube them and keep them smooth, if its a sealed head like those used on Snap-On don't bother.

Wipe them off. Possibly baby powder or oil depending upon climate and situation.

I never worried about my tools getting soaked. The rust wear off real fast.

I would do (and have done) as you did. This is what Water Displacement # 40 (WD-40) was made for, to remove moisture.
Also as said, the ratchet may need a little oiling, as do the joints on the pliers, but otherwise WD 40 and wipe them off.

It is kind of funny you mention ATF to lubricate ratchets, my 3/4 drive got a good ATF bath when I did my mom's transmission fluid change a while back, and seems to be a lot smoother now (I just wiped it down with a rag when done).

Just something I noticed. You used a 3/4 drive ratchet to change transmission fluid? Isn't that a little overkill?

Last edited:
I have a mayo jar of slightly used ATF and I have put some dikes and pruning shears in it to sit for awhile. Then my dog knocked it over and made a mess on garage floor.

Originally Posted By: old1
Just something I noticed. You used a 3/4 drive ratchet to change transmission fluid? Isn't that a little overkill?

Oops, I meant 3/8.
crazy2.gif

Screwdrivers and wrenches, I'd just dry 'em off with a rag and maybe wipe 'em down with WD-40 or some light machine oil or gun oil. Pliers, I'd do the same but also soak the hinge in oil and work it back and forth a few dozen times. Ratchets, I'd be tempted to take them apart, dry, clean, re-grease... but I'd (hopefully) end up realizing that is overkill and just soak it in ATF.

LOL. On my Chevy they used some type of threadlocker on the transmission drain plug. Once I tried to remove it, but the bolt head started to twist where it meets the flange. A 3/4 ratchet wouldn't have helped me that day, but it wouldn't have been overkill either!

Sounds good everyone.

I try to use my beater tools on situations like this, but sadly my more high end specialty stuff became wet too. I have a 1/4" SK that belonged to my grandfather tool that was soaked. (That'll get an ATF treatment) Probably didn't help that the car had slush on it when it was parked in the garage too.

Hey now. It could have been his mother's 8x8 military truck. You never know.

Some of the better stuff you could probably bury it in the backyard for a few years- wipe it of, sand it, oil it and never even knew it.

Maybe just using them, keeping them clean with a soapy, oily, or soapy/oily cloth, and putting them in a good tool chest will take them to the 3rd millineum ((3000 A.D.). Of course, they need to fit the fasteners well and not wear down nor let ole LeRoy put a cheater pipe on a 1/4" ratchet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back