Wet boiling point, DOT 5 fluid

COVID boredom maybe... I was reading an article on DOT 5 silicone fluids that mentions a wet boiling point of a certain brand. The article also mentions, which I knew, that silicone brake fluid does not readily absorb or mix with water. I also know of folks w/ classic cars that have had issues with water settling in parts of the brake system when using DOT 5 fluid.

My question is how can the Silicone fluid have a wet boiling point greater than water? Seems to me the effective and important wet point would be the temp it takes to get that un mixed slug of water to boil. Does the test add water to the fluid then test the fluid (with some minute amount of water that will be suspended), but not what settles out? Did some web research and couldn't come up w/ a definitive answer, so I'm going to the collective BITOG brain trust:)

I have never used DOT 5 fluid and so have limited experience.

I can't answer your question. I assume you don't want to use a DOT 5 brake fluid.

This is my new go to brake fluid, It is also a LV brake fluid which is required in many Fords and Euro vehicles.

I can't answer your question. I assume you don't want to use a DOT 5 brake fluid.

This is my new go to brake fluid, It is also a LV brake fluid which is required in many Fords and Euro vehicles.
Hi thanks. My go-to's are Castrol LMA and ATE.

No, I do nit have any interest in DoT 5 yet, this was just an exercise in boredom... I was reading up on something related and got thinking (always dangerous) of how you could have a meaningful wet boiling point for a fluid that doesn't readily absorb water?

If you are still bored and still interested in brake fluid boiling points, go take a look at Castrol SRF - pretty much the de facto fluid for race cars, AND compatible with traditional DOT 3/4/5.1 systems.

Back