Went with Primewells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are literally going to kill you, your entire family, and everyone else on the road (and their family too). You are dangerous and irresponsible for not spending 5X the money on a set of Michelin tires that will dry rot in a year.

Drinkin the Michelin Kool-aid
laugh.gif

They should serve you well. RV tires always get harsh treatment. 8 years seems like a good run

I had a set of Primewell PS860s put on my 1994 Sliverado several years ago due to getting an outstanding deal on them at a local Firestone shop. I have had zero issues. I never had the set rotated or re-balanced. These are a 40K rated tire. I replaced the fronts last year which had about 44K on them and will be replacing the rears within the next month or so which have close to 50K on them. I replaced the front two with a set of Cooper Cobras and the rears will be the same. I did not change brands due to being unhappy with the Primewells but due to getting a much better deal on the Coopers at the time I was in the market buying. I hope they work out as well as the Primewells. I know this was just one set of Primewells but my experience was good. Truck has 297K on it so I can only hope it last as long as the new tires.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd rather run Primewells on an RV than Michelins, even if the price were the same.

The Primewells won't be totally dry rotted in 3 years.

Especially down here in the south. I'd rather pay a good price for tires I need to replace in 3 years anyways, than buy ones that last twice as long and replace them in that time because they are dried out.

Michelin's are great tires don't get me wrong but the 70,000 mile warranty, they will be dried out before I put that many on miles on them. If you drive 70k they are great but we drive less than 10k a year.

I'll post back in a year or so on how these Primewells are performing. I wasn't going to mention Michelin's but all of you are correct. My grandpa ran a pair on the front of his class c (Built 01) until 2014! His argument was they had plenty of tread.. but they looked horrible! I refused to drive it so he replaced them.

Also have to note I cover my tires when not in use. Even at the 10 year mark most likely be UV damage free.

My last experience with Primewells is that they shook like mad.. but that wasn't the tires after all. Just bent rims and idiots with a tire balancer. Sometimes tires get a bad rap when they're not at fault.. put a dress on a pig well it's still a pig!

Took a 500 miles trip this weekend, good mixture of winding, curvy roads and interstate. They are a tad bit noisier than the Transforce's and seem to pick up gravel more due to the tread, other reviews echo the same. Neither reason is enough to make me want to tear them off. Traction was good on the wet back roads and seemed stable enough, although this RV will get suspension upgrades eventually.

Might go with the Dextros(?) from Wally world for the back whenever that occurs.

I would stick with the Primewells over the Dextros, myself. There's a lot of cargo vans & other light trucks running the Primewells-they actually wear really well, as long as you can handle the noise!

Primewells would probably be good in the rear, since if they are noisy you wouldn't be able to hear them.

Originally Posted By: MNL
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I would stick with the Primewells over the Dextros, myself.

Both Primewell and Dextero are built by Giti Tires. They made several other brand like GT Radial for Discount Tires.
http://www.giti.com/corp/corporate.asp?referenceid=16&menuid=368&language=1

Bought two sets of GT Radial tires last year and they seem to be good quality.

All I need now is a Subaru. 2 sets of GT radial tires, 2 sets of recapped tires ...

When I bought the '99, they had (and still do) Primewells. Not my favorite tire. Still, they were not as bad as to spend $400 to get them replace. I have had worse tires... but would not spend my own money to buy them again. Treadlife has been excellent, snow handling could be better. Noise... pretty bad.

Last edited:
As much as I have a disdain for Primewell, I see a ton of them on Comcast's service vans and trucks - I'm pretty sure Firestone has the account for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back