Went with Primewells

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 08 Transforces still have lots of treads and very few cracks but the flat spots really started to work on my nerves. Unless you're doing a 1k trip, where it got a bit better, felt like the tire was bouncing. Could of tried new shocks but felt this was a better move with the age of the tires. Shocks and alignment next year. Just did the fronts. Figured these would last till the rears need replaced, will go with the Transforces again unless the Primewells really impress me. Average 6-7.5k a year so age is more of a factor than tread life.

From what I've read they can get noisy.. it's a Class C RV and I have 2 boys.. what's quiet? $260 out the door with road hazard. First long trip next weekend. Also would note the Transforces are load range D and the new ones are E's.

image_zpsgomu2jlm.jpeg

For a little more money you could have had some decent, quality tires installed. They are kind of important after all. You know, Cooper, General, Conti, etc...

While there are better tires-the Primewells are not dangerous or unsafe. They are usually much less than the tires mentioned in the above post. You won't find any fans here on BITOG of cheaper, Chinese tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
While there are better tires-the Primewells are not dangerous or unsafe. They are usually much less than the tires mentioned in the above post. You won't find any fans here on BITOG of cheaper, Chinese tires.

I know.. just posted for the commentary lol! I dont expect these to last as well as the Transforces or as long. But thats not my goal.

I believe your thinking is -"Why should I buy better tires when they are going to age out first?" That's the issue with RV tires-they get old before they get used up!

Just drive easy and you will be fine. While I dont like cheap tires, I wont judge anyones decision or situation.

I had some brand new Primewell Valera H/T's on a 99 K2500 Suburban. The PO put them on right before the tranny went out. I never had the chance to drive on them as they were replaced with some KO2's immediately. I'd never consider driving any distance more than what is necessary to have Chinese tires swapped out. There is no automotive enthusiast that I know personally who would ride on any tier of Chinese made tire/brand. There is just no need to compromise safety and ride quality to save a hundred or so dollars.

We install a lot of Primewells on trade-in cars at work that need tires. I've seen lots of other Primewells rolling around so they can't be too bad.

They have to meet federal safety standards right? I think you'll be fine. I'd be curious to know how you like them down the road...

Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
I had some brand new Primewell Valera H/T's on a 99 K2500 Suburban. The PO put them on right before the tranny went out. I never had the chance to drive on them as they were replaced with some KO2's immediately. I'd never consider driving any distance more than what is necessary to have Chinese tires swapped out. There is no automotive enthusiast that I know personally who would ride on any tier of Chinese made tire/brand. There is just no need to compromise safety and ride quality to save a hundred or so dollars.

There are many, many tires on the road that are of Chinese manufacturer. I would suggest next time you take a car trip-to stop at a flying J or some other truck stop. You will see dozens of them on semi trucks. Also, they are gaining popularity on passenger cars as well, due to their price point. Yes, some Chinese manufacturers cut corners on some tires a few years ago, that's old news. But to call them unsafe is foolhardy-ride quality can be discussed and debuted.

Firestone also cut some corners ,many years ago-google Firestone "521s".

Last edited:
I've used them on the accord without any problems. a cheap tire beats a bald, uneven, or dry rotted tire any day

I'd rather run Primewells on an RV than Michelins, even if the price were the same.

The Primewells won't be totally dry rotted in 3 years.

Originally Posted By: CKN
...... Firestone also cut some corners ,many years ago-google Firestone "521s".

In the interest of accuracy:

It was actually the Firestone 500 that was the issue. This was back in the 1970's. The 721 was supposed to be the successor that fixed the problem - but didn't. That's because Firestone didn't realize what the true problem was. It was the use of HMT (hexamethylenetetramine) as a bonding agent, which in the presence of water turned into an acid, that rusted the steel wires. Everyone using HMT had this problem (it was pretty commonly used!), but Firestone was the last to realize it - and the last to convert to something else.

Firestone also handled the PR situation about as bad as it could be. They denied there was a problem - they then said it was a small problem - that it was the consumers not using enough inflation pressure.

Eventually they were forced to conduct a recall - which interestingly didn't hurt their image as much as one would have thought. Further, they seemed not to learn from the experience as they used the same tactics when the ATX situation developed in the late 1990's.

Not that Firestone was alone in not dealing well with these kinds of situations. Ford and GM have repeatedly stumbled when they use those same tactics. Over time, they have gotten better at it, but it seems human nature to defend first - even for a lost cause!

Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007

Then you should immediately send the OP a CERTIFIED CHECK to cover the cost of six new tires of your choice!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd rather run Primewells on an RV than Michelins, even if the price were the same.

The Primewells won't be totally dry rotted in 3 years.

That.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back