Went to the dark side (Amsoil)

Been avoiding buying Amsoil products all these 36 years of driving (marketing...hype...price...mail ordering/$hipping...etc), but today I went to NAPA for some 75W-140 rear end oil. Much to my shock a) they stocked Amsoil b) double shock, it was LESS than M1 and competitively priced (about $15.XX/quart) with other gear oils. So, I'm going to put it in the Frontier (which already comes with syn as FF) and I'll report back if it "likes" it. (Believe it or not, I've read several posts on Nissan forums where the drivers could "feel" more power, smoother, etc.)

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Pablo, Gary, we got another one... MUHAHAHA! You will be very happy I'm sure. Try the motor oil too if you really want outside the box, all their stuff is good [email protected]# IMO! ;\)
StevieC, Is [email protected]# code for "sand in the oil and it wrecks gears"?

Interesting, I didn't know any retail places stocked amsoil products. I'll keep an an eye out the next time I'm in NAPA.

Individual NAPA franchisees can stock whatever they wish. I've seen a few other retail outlets with an Amsoil sign.

Originally Posted By: chambers
Interesting, I didn't know any retail places stocked amsoil products. I'll keep an an eye out the next time I'm in NAPA.
The NAPA in Amelia (rt 360 between richmond and Farmville) is a stocking Amsoil dealer.. OR I have seen the sign in the window at least brian

Originally Posted By: tig1
 Originally Posted By: StevieC
Pablo, Gary, we got another one... MUHAHAHA! You will be very happy I'm sure. Try the motor oil too if you really want outside the box, all their stuff is good [email protected]# IMO! ;\)
StevieC, Is [email protected]# code for "sand in the oil and it wrecks gears"?
Cheeky Monkey!

I too reluctantly installed severe gear 75-140 in my truck this weekend. the local speed shop sells it on the shelf. with the mag-hytec pan it was effortless. will I be buying any other amsoil products. Most likely not.

Originally Posted By: chambers
The local Advanced Auto Parts( 3 of them )have limited supplies of Amsoil fluids in stock.

dnewton3

Staff member
I'll have to ask this; which Amsoil gear lube product was it? Are we being presumptive in thinking it was Severe Gear? They do make other gear lubes, you know. I'd also have to say that if the Mobil 1, and other competitors, were priced at $15/qt, I'd start shopping at a different Napa. I can routinely find Mobil 1 gear lube for about $9-10/qt in my area. Not that you made a bad choice. It just sounds as though something "tainted" the experience, so to speak. Severe gear is a premium performing product, to be sure. Mobil 1 gear oil is also a fine product. Given a similar price struture that you saw at the store, I'd have bought the Amsoil as well. But I'd also have to say the Mobil 1 was probably over priced ...

We have a store called Penn Auto in my area that stocks Amsoil products but I can get it cheaper through one of the Amsoil Dealers on this site.

Originally Posted By: c3po
We have a store called Penn Auto in my area that stocks Amsoil products but I can get it cheaper through one of the Amsoil Dealers on this site.
Ahhhh I see I have a neighbor on here. I havent been in penn auto in a while. I hear it has gone down hill since the old owners sold it.

Amsoil Sever Gear is a good product much better then the stuff they had on the market in the late 1980's and 1990's. Back then I preferred M1 but today I would not consider using M1 unless I had no choice. I love Redline products and Amsoil is my second choice for gear lubes! I am pretty picky when it comes to gear lubes,MTL's and such so that is really a high compliment!

I think Amsoil makes great stuff and use a lot of their products. Having said that I find it hard to believe that going from one gear oil to another would make your vehicle feels like it has more power or is smoother. If you said it ATF and the transmission shifted better I could buy that, or if you said engine oil and it had a tiny bit better MPG I could believe that, but not diff. gear oil.

Nayov

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I'll have to ask this; which Amsoil gear lube product was it? Are we being presumptive in thinking it was Severe Gear? They do make other gear lubes, you know. I'd also have to say that if the Mobil 1, and other competitors, were priced at $15/qt, I'd start shopping at a different Napa.
Yes, for SURE it was the severe gear 75W-140. Mobil 1 was no more than a couple of dollars cheaper, so that's why I jumped on the Amsoil bandwagon. By the way, there was NO difference in performance, as expected. .... Just for funzies here's the thread where 350 Z guys swear that a diff oil change was miraculous. http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/273167-just-got-done-changing-diff-oil.html

Last edited:
It is hard to explain... But I have to agree with the smoother thing... I replaced the front and rear differential fluid in a 2001 Land Rover Discovery II with 115K on it. I think you'll notice a bigger difference if the fluid is dirty or has not been changed in a while, but the rear differential fluid was not THAT black. The front was pretty dark with the magnetic tip of the plug full of metal shavings. Anyway, I used 75W-90 Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube in both and noticed a smoother or silkier feel lol when the car was moving and even when my foot was off the gas pedal. Basically, it's just the perception of less vibration and noise coming from the lower part of the car. You may never notice it if you don't pay attention to that sort of thing.

Last edited: