Corolla’s

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a followup to my tire size, the General rt43's which I have liked thus far are $79 each at DTD for the 195/65R15, but $102 for 205/55R16. Albeit treadwear of 600 vs 700.

I would think taller would be better, more rubber to deal with road imperfections.

Found a 12 with 53k on the clock to try out. Drove it, talked shop, got back into my Jetta. Put my finger on a few things:

-Jetta feels like a tank compared to this. Much more solidly planted to road, heavier doors. Mind you, same exact size tires. of course, huge price difference, the cars really don't compare.
-Jetta probably has the same amount if noise, but it is at a lower pitch. Not sure what to make of that. Corolla has the guts to do 80 no prob, but the noise level makes me self-limit to 65. Unlike my Camry/Jetta where I will do 80 without thinking.
-Jetta clutch is superb, but of course its not stock either.
-the stick is again the way to go, felt just adequate for power. I think an auto would lead to regret (for me).
-and the engine is still kinda thrashy when pushed. It might go past 6k but I don't think I could.

Test drive was as expected, drove the same as the other manual Corolla. OTOH, being off a small lot, this car had a prior driver who drive in a very un-Corolla like manner--or it had toe issues. Needed tires and rotors. Cheap repairs for me, did not care about that. But was clean overall, only one minor scratch. 53k, so a pinch of factory warranty left--but essentially none.

Long story short, with my trade in, $11.2k. The 13 that I drove last week has 11k less miles, one year newer, Bluetooth, USB, and a warranty which would last me two years at the rate I drive (CPO); that 13 with my trade would run me $13.8k OTD. Take into account tires and rotors, and it is a $2k difference. I'd have to say the more expensive one is the better buy--not sure I am willing just yet, just that the more expensive one, as a CPO, would basically be "new" and "more safe" of a buy.

Now had the diff been $4k, different story.

What is the story on the five speed manuals? It sounds like they are perhaps more weak than the automatics--something about input shaft bearings. I caught that in 2004 they revised the syncros and those updated transmissions are better; but I am not clear if the 09-13 five speeds are ok or not.

I'm guessing actual failure rate isn't that bad, as people only post about their failures.

Mazda3?

or have you ruled them out do to rust issues?

Seems like a great drivers car with a 6spd manual, skyactiv almost 40mpg hwy version. Might be harsher/noisier than a Jetta/Camry, but...

Originally Posted By: supton
What is the story on the five speed manuals? It sounds like they are perhaps more weak than the automatics--something about input shaft bearings. I caught that in 2004 they revised the syncros and those updated transmissions are better; but I am not clear if the 09-13 five speeds are ok or not.

I'm guessing actual failure rate isn't that bad, as people only post about their failures.
I've been wondering this too, aren't the Matrix drive trains the same as the Corollas? I always hear about Matrix manual transmission issues but I haven't heard much on Corollas.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Mazda3?

or have you ruled them out do to rust issues?

Seems like a great drivers car with a 6spd manual, skyactiv almost 40mpg hwy version. Might be harsher/noisier than a Jetta/Camry, but...

Yeah, rust concerns. It seems DI, at least for Mazda, has been "proven", so I should give them more thought. I have been ignoring for a long time, perhaps it is time to stop. Or not, I kinda like the layout of the Corollas, they match my other Toyotas. To a T.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: supton

I've been wondering this too, aren't the Matrix drive trains the same as the Corollas? I always hear about Matrix manual transmission issues but I haven't heard much on Corollas.

I do not know the take rate on stickshift Corolla--but it has to be low. I am guessing lower than on the "more sporty" Matrix. More sporty or more likely to be sold as base, not sure.

I did find complaints on the 03-08 generation for this five speed issue, have not searched too hard for 09-13, but I think they are the same trans for all of these models.

I think the 5-speed (model C59) was sorted by 2005 or 2006 in terms of the shaft bearings. I imagine a 2009+ Corolla with the 5-speed would be using the C59 as well (Wikipedia isn't very clear on it). I will say that the C59 in my 2007 Corolla really tightened up with some Redline MT-90 fluid. The shift action was smooth as silk with the new fluid. It had only about 20k miles when I changed the fluid.

I like the MT85 in my camry--when the trans is warm. I am looking forward to this winter and seeing if it sheared down a bit, Last winter it was horrible with fresh fluid. Apparently it needs a low viscosity 75W that I should looking for.

The 12/13 5 speeds I drove had unremarkable shifters, but my recollection was an odd clutch.

Yeah, it was pretty joyless driving on the 12/13. I found the auto to be just as fun. The shift gate made it easy to select a gear other than drive I thought, unlike straight gate autos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back