Went to Lowe's yesterday and ..................

I paid $4.49 each for my purchase yesterday at Sutherlands. A fair price IMO. Especially since a nice young man loaded them for me. At my age that means a lot. Ask for that at Lowe's and wait for the disgusted face.
"Wait for the disgusted face?" Oh puhleeze! Lowes happens to be closer to me than HD, so I buy a lot of stuff there for typical home projects. Never had any problem getting someone to help load! Both of those giants have many supply problems, but it seems its a matter beyond their control. Lately Amazon, who is usually spot on with shipping, has been late more often than not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to Lowe's yesterday to get a couple of new sand tubes for the F-150. I was informed that didn't have any yet because it was a "Seasonal Item". I just left shaking my head in disbelief. The manager of that area informed me it would be another month for theirs to arrive. On my way home still shaking my head in disbelief, I passed Sutherland's (similar to Lowe's and Home Depot) went in and asked if they had sand tubes. The nice lady at the counter looked them up and sold me two. I asked her do they sell them year round. She said yes they were a year round item and they had sold 45 pallets since early September. Sad how Lowe's and other behemoths lately seem to actually enjoy disappointing people. If you are not a contractor they don't even want to talk to you. Quit going to Home Depot years ago.

In your opinion if you have a pickup would you expect sand tubes to be in stock by now? Our average first snow is around early November.

What are Sand Tubes?

Ive had good experiences with HD, and also with their ordering online if they dont have what I want somewhere local in store. The experience and knowledge of the people in store is more hit or miss, and usually miss. HD is more convenient and I generally prefer what they sell to Lowe's, but Im glad to have both nearby.

I would like to have a Menards near by as well, but I wont hold my breath.

My question for the OP - I guess youre using this for weight in the back of your pickup... But dont you have them from last year? Cant you use something else if not? It doesnt seem like this is rocket science.
Home Depot is also cheaper than Lowe’s👍

So today I learned something. Now I know what a sand tube is. Oddly enough when I googled it and clicked on images it showed a tube at Lowe's and said "Out Of Stock" :p

So today I learned something. Now I know what a sand tube is. Oddly enough when I googled it and clicked on images it showed a tube at Lowe's and said "Out Of Stock" :p
Because they are 'Seasonal" I just think they did not want to deal with a $5 item that weighs 60 to 70 pounds.

"Wait for the disgusted face?" Oh puhleeze! Lowes happens to be closer to me than HD, so I buy a lot of stuff there for typical home projects. Never had any problem getting someone to help load! Both of those giants have many supply problems, but it seems its a matter beyond their control. Lately Amazon, who is usually spot on with shipping, has been late more often than not.
At our store the sand tubes were always in the Contractors checkout area. I did receive a less than friendly answer to my question about sand tubes from the Contractors Area manager.

On Saturday my Amazon ordered Tonneau cover for the truck arrived in two days in KC area from the Left Coast. Lately Amazon has been much better. Must be the two new fulfillment centers in the area. Yes, I have had a couple packages one day late, they were under $10 items. Even the postal service has been better lately. IMO YMMV
Just go to your local Firestone dealer (or other tire shop) and get some used inner tubes for tractor trailers. You tie the end, fill them with sand then secure them with a hose clamp. Prob free.
The only problem I see with that is that I still have to buy the sand somewhere. :unsure:

What did you do with the ones you had last winter ?
They were 3 1/2 years old and were ripped open and I was sandblasting cars behind me. Thinking of others, a little bit. They were making a mess in my bed, thought it would be a good idea to clean things up before the new Tonneau Cover went on. The old sand went to fill a couple of holes were the Postal delivery person drives on the city's portion of my yard to deliver the mail.

The only problem I see with that is that I still have to buy the sand somewhere. :unsure:
They sell play sand in bags at most home stores, if not, there should be a building material suppy store that sells sand and gravel by the ton.
I may have been a little bit influenced by living here in FL. The whole place is sand! 😊 Our local "YARD SHOP" sells sand by the bag.

I used these in my pickups until I seen what can happen when you get in a accident and they come flying thru the back window. Also guys that use concrete blocks, no thanks.

I used these in my pickups until I seen what can happen when you get in a accident and they come flying thru the back window. Also guys that use concrete blocks, no thanks.
Have done a couple dozen panic stops (full anti lock type) since I bought the truck and they don't even move much. Side to side is a different story. Sometimes they do roll to the side if the surface is slick/wet, they are just lonely and needed a hug from the other bag. The new bags I have are the not the longer skinny type. They are wider and shorter than what I had. Doubt these will roll

Last edited:
Seriously, where ? I've got 5-6 Lowes nearby and they're all located in heavily congested retail shopping areas. So heavy that if I have a reasonable option, I'll go to an Ace Hardware instead, pay a little more, but a lot less traffic. Basically, the Lowes (and Home Depot and Walmarts) are in "mall" areas around here.

Back