Went Back to Verizon Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
I
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Have been wanting to leave Verizon for quite a while now. The problem is ... they are the only carrier with cell reception in a few areas I frequent. They are the best at that, that's for sure.

I noticed the mobile hotspot. How much extra does it cost?

Check out Page Plus. My wife has that, and likes it. Ported her Verizon phone easily enough. She recently got a smart(er) phone and likes that--but was forced into whatever PP had in stock.

I use Tracphone and do not have complaints. They have a bring your own plan these days for smartphones, or at least used to. I am content with it. but consider a throw away item. I only buy the smallest cards, not a years worth, and keep it to where if it dies or service makes me mad, I will be out nothing to toss.

Both services are on Verizon. Our coverage is good.

Take a look at Howards forums for cell reviews and plans etc.
Tracfone is where it's at-as long as you're not a big data user & don't mind 3G speeds, be sure you have a Verizon device when you switch-I have coverage where the company's AT&T is useless!

I went the Tracfone (w/Verizon service) route too. It's more of an emergency phone / occasional GPS driving directions tool for me and I'm satisfied for less than $10 a month and a $60 phone. My wife uses her phone alot and she's with Verizon's pay as you go for $45 a month. My phone reception is the same as her's, but she needs too many monthly minutes and texts to go the Tracfone route.

I'm glad I'm not tethered to a phone and a $125+ month bill like my kids and their spouses.

I heard of Republic Wireless on the Clark Howard show(radio) as one of the best deals around. Pay around $100 upfront for the phone and you can get unlimited talk and text for $10 per month plus taxes etc. No contract and free data where wifi is available. For $25 per month you can get unlimited data.

https://republicwireless.com/phones/

Originally Posted By: redhat
Motorola Droid Turbo 64GB.

1. How is the camera compared to iPhone ?
2. Does it have a Microsoft Windows OS ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Motorola Droid Turbo 64GB.

1. How is the camera compared to iPhone ?
2. Does it have a Microsoft Windows OS ?

It's camera is very good. 22 megapixel - the picture quality over my 5s was another reason I liked the phone so much. Also worth noting, the camera is not flush with the back of the phone so you're less prone to scratching the lens.

It does not run MS Windows Phone OS, it comes with Android 4.4.4 KitKat but will be receive Android 5.1 Lolipop.

When I researched it a while back, I was surprised how many other carriers go through verizon towers. I found one that charged 12 dollars a month for 250 minutes and xxx number of texts per month while keeping my old verizon flip phone.

About two years ago the wife and I toured the country with our truck and travel trailer. We had both Verizon phones and the Verizon Hotspot. Our travel included The South, up the East coast to Maine, and then back out to Utah. And obviously, campgrounds generally are not located in big cities, but in rural areas.

We had one town in the whole country where the Verizon phones and Hotspot did not work, that was Carlsbad, New Mexico.

I guess that's why people say for coverage-There is Verizon and then everybody else.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I heard of Republic Wireless on the Clark Howard show(radio) as one of the best deals around. Pay around $100 upfront for the phone and you can get unlimited talk and text for $10 per month plus taxes etc. No contract and free data where wifi is available. For $25 per month you can get unlimited data.

https://republicwireless.com/phones/

But their phones will not work on other networks should you decide to switch back.

Verizon has the best coverage for sure, but you pay for it as they are very expensive. Between myself, my wife and my daughters, I have 3 smart phones and 1 dumb phone on my account, and I have a tablet, so I am paying for data plans for 3 phones and a tablet and my monthly bill is $260. If I could go with another company that could get my bill down under $200 AND provide me with the coverage I need, I would switch in a heartbeat, but apparently such a company doesn't exist...

Droid Turbo for Example
--Pay full phone price, Edge discount applicable
$549.99 up front, $25 discount per month ($15 monthly access) = $549.99 over 2 years

--Pay monthly via Edge, Edge discount applicable
$0 up front, $22.91 per month, $25 discount per month ($15 monthly access) = $549.84 over 2 years

--Lock into 2year contract, No Edge discount
$149.99 up front, $40 monthly access = $749.99 over 2 years

Great example of how to work the Edge deal. When it first came out (VZW has changed the Edge terms quite a bit over the last year or year-and-a-half), Edge was generally the way to go if you wanted new phones every year, and the conventional 2-year contract was still the best deal if you kept the phone for a long time.

Ironically, Edge is now generally the best way to go in most situations. If your phone line is on Edge, you keep that $25 discount indefinitely, even after your device is paid. So if you buy the phone, pay it off, and keep it for a while, you can really make out well.

Originally Posted By: CKN
About two years ago the wife and I toured the country with our truck and travel trailer. We had both Verizon phones and the Verizon Hotspot. Our travel included The South, up the East coast to Maine, and then back out to Utah. And obviously, campgrounds generally are not located in big cities, but in rural areas.

We had one town in the whole country where the Verizon phones and Hotspot did not work, that was Carlsbad, New Mexico.

I guess that's why people say for coverage-There is Verizon and then everybody else.

Yep, along I80 when I helped my friend move out west my phone had service far, far more than his AT&T phone did. Very often he would just have service and I would be able to surf the web and stream music and video, he would just be able to make a call.

All up the ICW last year I had just about perfect service as well.

Its like with sat phones there is Iridium and everyone else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Droid Turbo for Example
$549.99 up front, $25 discount per month ($15 monthly access) = $549.99 over 2 years

$0 up front, $22.91 per month, $25 discount per month ($15 monthly access) = $549.84 over 2 years

Great example of how to work the Edge deal. When it first came out (VZW has changed the Edge terms quite a bit over the last year or year-and-a-half), Edge was generally the way to go if you wanted new phones every year, and the conventional 2-year contract was still the best deal if you kept the phone for a long time.

Ironically, Edge is now generally the best way to go in most situations. If your phone line is on Edge, you keep that $25 discount indefinitely, even after your device is paid. So if you buy the phone, pay it off, and keep it for a while, you can really make out well.

NO, that's not a 'deal'! This is why I hate VZW after having them for years. That cost doesn't include their inflated 'access' to their network. I pay $35/month for Cricket. My Moto G was free after rebates. $10 at most in tax. Over 2 years, 1 year, whatever, $10. Not $550 or $750. $10.

Despite asking my Dad not to extend with VZW when he needed a new phone, he got suckered into the Edge rape/plan. I will work with him to get him out of it, which means paying the phone cost in full. The CS in store rep lied on what his costs would be. All over the net too, many people got shafted just the same, so I don't blame my Dad. In just a few months, the savings on Cricket will break even, then each month will be true money in the bank savings.

Yes VZW has the best network generally, but after finally switching to Cricket (AT&T), I am happy with my service and save $400/yr, despite the fact I had a discounted, grandfathered unlimited data VZW plan. (which I was able to sell and pocket another $300 during my departure)

/end VZW rant

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Yes VZW has the best network generally...

Correct, and it's apples-and-oranges to compare costs otherwise. Edge saves quite a bit of money on Verizon relative to their former cost structure; I was never comparing Verizon's cost to other carriers. I'd never try to: as you said, VZW generally has the "best" network and its users (including myself) pay for it.

I'd join a different network if I thought it was a better value.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Droid Turbo for Example

NO, that's not a 'deal'! This is why I hate VZW after having them for years. That cost doesn't include their inflated 'access' to their network. I pay $35/month for Cricket. My Moto G was free after rebates. $10 at most in tax. Over 2 years, 1 year, whatever, $10. Not $550 or $750. $10.

Despite asking my Dad not to extend with VZW when he needed a new phone, he got suckered into the Edge rape/plan. I will work with him to get him out of it, which means paying the phone cost in full. The CS in store rep lied on what his costs would be. All over the net too, many people got shafted just the same, so I don't blame my Dad. In just a few months, the savings on Cricket will break even, then each month will be true money in the bank savings.

Yes VZW has the best network generally, but after finally switching to Cricket (AT&T), I am happy with my service and save $400/yr, despite the fact I had a discounted, grandfathered unlimited data VZW plan. (which I was able to sell and pocket another $300 during my departure)

/end VZW rant

You have to compare like phones, you can bring your own phone or get a cheap phone on Edge. The original poster was talking about a more expensive phone.

$400 a year is nothing if the service is better.

Last edited:
Page plus is a prepaid carrier that uses the verizon network. I do not like their customer service, but the verizon network is great.

I pay $40 per month for unlimited talk and text with 1GB data. You can use coupons and buy the airtime online using paypal, and end up paying $37 per month no taxes.

No contract, I have it hooked up to a Samsung Galaxy S4, and my wife loves it.

For me, I just wanted cheap. I have a Motorola E smart phone that was 99 dollars from Republic Wireless.

I am on a $10 per month plan which is unlimited talk/text and data over wifi on the sprint network.

The nice thing, is I always had crummy sprint service at home. Republic uses the wifi in your home to route its voice. So I get great calling in the house using wifi, and outside it is Sprint.

$10 per month I can't complain.

Droid Turbo for Example

A lot of people really misunderstand Edge to this day. When I say I got my phone on that plan they generally look at me like I have 3 heads.

That is until I explain it to them using small words and simple maths. Verizon does a horrible job marketing Edge in real world terms.

For example, you get a Share Everything with 6GB of data. The Unlimited Talk, Text and 6GB of Sharable Data costs $70 per month. Each device you have on this account has a monthly access fee. Smartphones are $40. With Edge or outright/owned phone, you receive a $25 discount per month against the $40.

Droid Turbo for Example

I don't know how do you come up with $549.84 over 2 years in this example.

You pay $22.91 per month for the phone plus $15 monthly access($40 - $25 Edge discount) should be $909.85 over 2 years.

Am I missing something ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
For example, you get a Share Everything with 6GB of data. The Unlimited Talk, Text and 6GB of Sharable Data costs $70 per month. Each device you have on this account has a monthly access fee. Smartphones are $40. With Edge or outright/owned phone, you receive a $25 discount per month against the $40.

Droid Turbo for Example

You pay $22.91 per month for the phone plus $15 monthly access($40 - $25 Edge discount) should be $909.85 over 2 years.

Am I missing something ?

He was talking about the price of the phone alone.

Total costs for 24 months.

Edge: $22.91/month + $15 access = $909.84

Traditional: $40/month = $960.00
Plus $149.99 one-time upgrade price
Plus $40.00 upgrade fee (waived with Edge)

Total traditional cost over 24 months = $1,149.99.

You save $240.15 with Edge over 24 months.

And you KEEP saving $25/month if you continue to keep the phone.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Droid Turbo for Example

Am I missing something ?

He was talking about the price of the phone alone.

Total costs for 24 months.

Edge: $22.91/month + $15 access = $909.84

Traditional: $40/month = $960.00
Plus $149.99 one-time upgrade price
Plus $40.00 upgrade fee (waived with Edge)

Total traditional cost over 24 months = $1,149.99.

You save $240.15 with Edge over 24 months.

And you KEEP saving $25/month if you continue to keep the phone.

Yes exactly, thanks for clearing that up for everyone.

Gone are the days of walking into a cellular store and getting an expensive phone for a subsidized price. Unless you're getting a phone from eBay or used from a private seller.

Looked online today as I saw a commercial for VZW 10GB of Data + Unlimited Talk/Text for $80. Looking at my plan online, I an actually save a dollar a month moving up to 10GB of data from 6GB.

My monthly total for my Droid Turbo, my GFs iPhone 6 Plus, 10GB Data with Unlimited Talk and Text is $133 a month. I can't complain about that really. I use the phone quite a bit for work, my business, leisure, etc. I'm content with the price and the excellent coverage.

Now has anyone tried the new HD calling/Advanced Calling on Verizon... or shall I call it VoLTE. It pumps calls over LTE.

Tried it between my Droid Turbo and the 6 Plus. It sounds as if the person is in the same room as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back