Went Back to Verizon Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently went back to Verizon Wireless, as much as I was against doing so, having reception inside of the house is important. I also wanted the ability to use my phone as a mobile hotspot without going against the TOS of a carrier. I thought about different prepaid carriers, but was brought back to Verizon each time.

I had my own contract/bill with an iPhone 5S on AT&T and was very happy until approximately 6 months ago when the reception inside the house really started to stink.

Coverage maps, store visits and phone calls all claimed that service should be just fine. It also seems as if carriers no longer give you the "truth" in their coverage maps... the old style (Fair, Good, Better, Best charts) seem to be non-existent from a consumer website POV. After a lot of calls and visits, AT&T stopped out and noticed the signal was poor. In my driveway, I was lucky to get a bar or two of Edge. We have a MicroCell, but I never find it to work the greatest. If anything, I think its VPN tunnel back to wherever is disconnected more than connected.

I called AT&T again, bounced through departments and was able to end my contract early based upon the complains of poor reception with no ETF.

I went into Verizon and got setup with the new style plans and a new phone. I have been an iPhone guy for years, but a friend of mine bought the Motorola Droid Turbo 64GB. Really liked that phone and it's battery life... so I guess now I'm an Android user. Haven't used Android since 2011, at this point I can honestly say that the experience is very good. Still learning the ropes compared to iOS, but I do like it. The larger screen is very nice. I ordered an OtterBox and tempered glass screen protector from Amazon and have them coming via Prime on Friday. I plan to put my 64GB 5S up on eBay.

You should see me before I make purchases or sign up for services, I make a spreadsheet with all costs figured and broken down, LOL. I like numbers and have to/NEED to know where each dollar is going. The plan I have is an unlimited talk/text with 6GB of data. My GF merged into my plan and with my work discount, it is around $125 a month for the two of us.

So I'm pleased... nice phone, good coverage. Just have to migrate all of my [censored].

Have been wanting to leave Verizon for quite a while now. The problem is ... they are the only carrier with cell reception in a few areas I frequent. They are the best at that, that's for sure.

I noticed the mobile hotspot. How much extra does it cost?

This is why I still have Verizon. Its not uncommon for my phone to be working great while anyone I'm with who has another provider has poor or no reception.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Have been wanting to leave Verizon for quite a while now. The problem is ... they are the only carrier with cell reception in a few areas I frequent. They are the best at that, that's for sure.

That always seems to be the case... and sometimes having to get a call out (not even worried about text or a data/Facebook update) is very important.

The Mobile Hotspot is included at no charge on all of the Share Everything plans (plan with unlimited talk/text and XXGB data pool).

I believe this is pretty much so for most of the carriers.

Living in rural New Messico, Verizon is the only provider with decent coverage. The ironic part is, the only place that matters where there is NO coverage is our house. We have a cell extender to cover that issue, but when the internet goes down, we really feel it.

I'm liking Verizon more since being out of contract and getting a $25/line discount.

Thanks for your write-up....gives me food for thought. Im with ATT. The "customer service" is poor.

I wont use Verizon since they are one of many corps that use prison labor. Im looking for ways to reduce costs, even thinking of ditching the whole smart phone thing and going back to basics.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Check out Page Plus. My wife has that, and likes it. Ported her Verizon phone easily enough. She recently got a smart(er) phone and likes that--but was forced into whatever PP had in stock.

I use Tracphone and do not have complaints. They have a bring your own plan these days for smartphones, or at least used to. I am content with it. but consider a throw away item. I only buy the smallest cards, not a years worth, and keep it to where if it dies or service makes me mad, I will be out nothing to toss.

Both services are on Verizon. Our coverage is good.

Take a look at Howards forums for cell reviews and plans etc.

I'm with T-Mobile and the coverage for me has been average at best. In my house I use a repeater to get a signal. Inside other buildings I often notice a lot of people on their phones while I have no signal. The price of my plan is low but I truly pay for what I get. It all boils down to me being CHEAP!!!

I have a Droid Turbo as well. Supposedly, we'll get upgraded away from 4.4.4 sometime... maybe...hopefully...

I haven't been able to get a call through to a friend from St. Louis who has T-Mobile.

Come to find out, he's on vacation in Florida. Before leaving home, he checked the maps on the T-Mobile website to verify reception where he is going to be... no problem.

When he gets there... no service.

And I have other friends who just can't figure out why I continue to "suffer" with Verizon.

T mobile is truly awful.

My plumber has T mobile and even on jobs where I can see two cell towers one Verizon and one AT&T poking over the tree line he has marginal service at best, none at worst.

OTOH my exact same Iphone has 4G and I can download movies and watch them if I so desired.

You get what you pay for...

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
T mobile is truly awful.

You get what you pay for...
SO true.

haa! I can't get reception with my new iphone at work using Verizon and was thinking of going back to AT&T which works great in my building. LOL.

The Verizon service in my area is awful.

Verizon has the largest network. But you pay for it. For many, it is the only option.

I use Boost Mobil (Sprint towers) and it works fine for what I need. They have excellent coverage anywhere in Florida. Unlimited talk/text and 2GB data on a Galaxy S5 smart phone is only $30/month.

My father in law uses a Galaxy S3 on Sprint for $100/month. I keep trying to get him to convert to Boost as it will save him $70/month and offer the same exact service, but he won't listen.

I've been with Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, (back to AT&T), and Verizon.

I hated T-Mobile and Sprint. AT&T was OK until I moved to Wisconsin. Verizon is the best converage-wise that I have used.
U.S. Cellular is supposed to be about the same as Verizon, but I haven't tried them out yet.

I've been paying less with Verizon than I did with AT&T. And my bill just went down another ~$17/mo. I was paying over $100/mo at AT&T. I'm at around $77/mo right now.

Verizon spent a lot of money and earlier than all other carriers on their network heft, people love to hate them for that!

I think its good that Verizon is being pushed ny T-Mobile and other smaller carriers to not force contracts, etc. They would be happy to keep everyone under contract forever.

I feel the best deal is to purchase a phone for cash and pick your carrier.

No carrier works at my house at least for voice. I might be able to squeeze off a txt once an awhile.

We've been a Verizon customer for over a decade. Always pleased with the service, and the value for what we pay. We share 6 GB/month over 5 devices. We actually use only about 4 GB, but upped it to 6 GB to get the $25/month discount on Edge plans.

Their new Edge line of plans is attractive, especially if you keep your phone for a long time. The $25/month discount on your plan doesn't end when you finish paying for the phone. It can be a great deal if you work it right (and depending on which phone you get).

Verizon seems to basically take the position that they have better coverage for a higher price. Depending on your situation, that can be pretty compelling.

T Mobile seems to be building out steadily along the interstate corridors at least, in my area. I was pretty surprised last summer to find that they had almost no coverage along I-10 east of El Paso.

Yes the Edge lines are very attractive. Gone are the days of a $200 phone... unless cell phone plans were really that much cheaper years ago.

Unfortunately if you want a new phone from a carrier (excluding eBay or 2nd hand phones from some place else), and are a new subscriber or have migrated to a new Data pool shared account, you have three options.

For example, you get a Share Everything with 6GB of data. The Unlimited Talk, Text and 6GB of Sharable Data costs $70 per month. Each device you have on this account has a monthly access fee. Smartphones are $40. With Edge or outright/owned phone, you receive a $25 discount per month against the $40.

Droid Turbo for Example
--Pay full phone price, Edge discount applicable
$549.99 up front, $25 discount per month ($15 monthly access) = $549.99 over 2 years

--Pay monthly via Edge, Edge discount applicable
$0 up front, $22.91 per month, $25 discount per month ($15 monthly access) = $549.84 over 2 years

--Lock into 2year contract, No Edge discount
$149.99 up front, $40 monthly access = $749.99 over 2 years

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back