Went and pulled an Eljefino...

Status
Not open for further replies.
(For reference: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3773199/1)

It's been awhile now that I've been on the lookout for a cheap car; backup for the wife (should hers be down for service, etc.), run-around beater, whatever. Really, just something to have if we need it and not rely on a rental, borrowing, etc.

Wasn't incredibly particular, but had a good idea of what I was after...

-Wagon
-Automatic (not forcing her to drive a manual in the city)
-Clean Title (no salvage, or rebuilt)
-In good shape, nor rusted out. General maintenance/cleaning is fine. Don't want a big project.
-Good fuel economy
-Parts are easily available, and it's not a complete pain to work on.
-Late model. Nothing that's older than us. OBDII. Something that I feel comfortable with her driving down the road.

For a long time, never did come across anything. Lots of junk, with lots of issues out there. Anything decent commanded a premium well above I was willing to pay. Eventually though, I stumbled over something on Copart. Put in on the watchlist, and waited for the auction date. That came and went, with minimal interest, and my bid at the top. Seller tried to negotiate a higher offer, but I stayed firm. After a couple days, I was now the new owner, and needed to go pick up my car...

-Should have known there would have been a big, pretty "Welcome to NC" sign right down the road. Oh well...you get the point.
ve2vWwq.jpg
\

-Loaded up and headed home. Wasn't particularly interest in renting a U-haul car trailer for a few days (not that it took that long...just what would work with my schedule), so grabbed the equipment trailer. Of course, it's entirely overbuilt for something like this (on 8" channel -- don't think they build bumper-pull trailers any heavier than this), weighing more than the car. What I overlooked/forgot about though, until having the car already on the trailer, is that the fenders are fixed, so I ended up having to position it far forward so the doors would clear to open. That puts more weight on the tongue that I'd like (and squats the truck), but the Suburban never complained, and the trailer tracked straight even over some really rough sections of interstate.

-Car is a 2001 Saturn SW2. This is their higher-spec model with the DOHC engine, 15" wheels, better gearing, sway bars, and assorted other goodies. As one could guess by the decal on the door (they did a real half-@ss job on that), it's coming out of a fleet.
nqAEXIS.jpg

-First impressions? Other than getting the decal situation straightened out, the body is in good shape. Not a dent or ding anywhere. More importantly, the undercarriage looks great with no rust! However, as anyone familiar with these will tell you, they're know for sucking down oil at an alarming rate, with sludge and heavy varnish issues as well. This one is no different. I'm reasonably certain there was maybe a quart in the sump, and whatever was there had more visually in common with blackstrap molasses than engine oil.

So, added a couple of quarts, and before starting, ran a quick scan. No codes!
KGa7xug.png

-Car started up just fine, sounded good, and idled like it should. On an interesting note, this was in the packet of paperwork I received...from just a few months ago:
rCqgjkF.png

-Oh, and the important part...
FM7zpPO.png

Wow, that is an Eljefino! Well done and I was wondering about the price towards the end of the post. Great deal. Oil is cheap, just keep her topped off.

Merry Xmas:) Those wagons received a award for least likely to be stole. My local mechanic has its kin in the shop when I went in to get the block plug heater identified.
Tranny issues. Lot of them now with winter

Kreen might unstick the rings.
Well bought for a buck fifty.
Buying a basically decent model that nobody wants is a winning strategy.

Someone described the engine noise as 3 bolts in a shaking beer can.

Great score. There's something to be said for having a good running backup car. Just remember to drive it frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back