Welp my truck just "dropped" a lifter

Would I need a tune with that kit? Or just slap it in, and go?
Sorry for all the questions I just want to do it correctly the first time.
You’re always going to need a tune when disabling & removing the DOD/AFM stuff. TSP may already have “canned” tunes for truck deletes like you’re planning… give them a call 👍🏻

A guy I work with just lost a lifter in a 2016 Tahoe at around 115K miles. Dealer quoted 7-10K to fix! Sucks it's a nice truck.

dang sorry to hear. I'm aspiring to get that engine in a 2025 Chevy....hope it all gets sorted out, bad timing during the holidays. At least we all feel for these situations. :)

I hate gm
I feel like I could have Denzel say, explain this to me like I'm a 6 y.o. AFM/DFM has been known for a decade, you decide you must buy a 2025 Chevy with a 6.2, no other, your car is disabled, dealer wants 10k to fix, now you want to sue the city for negligence?

And I'll say, "Yes, do I have a case."

He'll say, "Yes, yeah, of course you have a case. How's your back, any lower back pain, dizziness, nightmares...."

I feel like I could have Denzel say, explain this to me like I'm a 6 y.o. AFM/DFM has been known for a decade, you decide you must buy a 2025 Chevy with a 6.2, no other, your car is disabled, dealer wants 10k to fix, now you want to sue the city for negligence?

And I'll say, "Yes, do I have a case."

He'll say, "Yes, yeah, of course you have a case. How's your back, any lower back pain, dizziness, nightmares...."
I didn't know they keep making the same junk. I thought afm was only a short period of time. You mean they still make this stuff today?

Looks like in 2019 they went to dynamic fuel management. Not sure if that means they did away with AFM completely or what.

A guy I work with just lost a lifter in a 2016 Tahoe at around 115K miles. Dealer quoted 7-10K to fix! Sucks it's a nice truck.
What are they putting in, a brand new engine? seems like robbery. Ouch indeed.

But I bet with all the money he saved on gas he can easily afford that repair. :rolleyes:

It’s a sad story! I have an 07 Hemi in my Jeep & worry about the same thing. On them lifter problems became a bigger issue when they went to variable valve timing Hemi in 09/10. The older ones like mine not so much I know people who’ve run up 200k+ with no problems. What I do is use Mobil 1 & change at 3000 miles. I know it sounds excessive but that’s only 2x a year for me.
BTW
I did a top end overhaul on my GM Marine 4.3 V6 about 6 years ago; had to replace the head gaskets & cyl heads due to overheat damage. I pulled out all the roller lifters and they & the cam lobes looked like new. At that time the engine was 29 years old & had about 1500 hrs on it. Marine use is much tougher than automotive as there is a single speed transmission and a 25 mph cruise puts you at a constant 3600 rpm. Old old GM tech; it this the best we can expect from new GM tech?

Looks like in 2019 they went to dynamic fuel management. Not sure if that means they did away with AFM completely or what.
If I understand DFM-you don't have the same set of 4 lifters shutting down.

This technology allows the engine to turn cylinders off when driving in situations that don't require full power, like cruising on the freeway. The DFM system's multiple cylinder-firing patterns are seamlessly mixed to meet the driver's requested torque while helping to balance fuel economy.

I was driving home and I accelerated through a yellow light (that I couldn't have stopped in time anyways). I got out of the truck, and heard a noticable tick that wasn't there when I left work.
I shut the truck off, and fired it back up still ticking. I called a good friend of mine who is a gm master tech, and he confirmed my suspicion. He said I caught it really early , and sounds more like a "weak" lifter, but will collapse at any time, and most likely do more damage including wiping a cam lope, and bending a rod. I had it towed, but this still sucks.
It's a 14 GMC Sierra with the 6.2 with 91,000 I have the afm disabled with a range obd2 plug in.
Thanks for reading I just needed to vent.
Not that it matters at this point but if you don’t mind sharing…
What oil (brand & weight) and oil change frequency?

And just how much fuel is saved vs the spectre of outrageous repair costs?
I'm thinking it is a fleet number or that bad word, CAFE. Then we can play the "nobody buys a car these days" so who cares beyond 36 mos. Apparently many of us on this forum.

If things haven't changed the EPA only tests 15% of the vehicles where mfgs. self-report mpg numbers.

Perhaps what should be demanded by consumers of their elected officials, is to subject any and all EPA regs to cost/benefit analyses.
And yes I'm very serious about that. It needs to be done.
Then maybe someone can explain to me, just what is the benefit to me, in having to buy a calif emissions vehicle. Because I tell you that when it comes time to replace the cat converter, this is what I learned:
49 state $1,100
Calif emissions $3,800
now explain to me exactly what is the benefit, can you even measure it?
it is not fair, or right, for the public, to have no say what-so-ever in these issues.
I'll stop there, so as not to get political but you understand my feeling here.

I didn't know they keep making the same junk. I thought afm was only a short period of time. You mean they still make this stuff today?
DFM has more combinations - I have a range plug-in on the 2017 AFM - but they are around $500 for DFM - I bought an extended warranty for the 2022 …

Back