Well i did it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again everyone for the advice. It seems like the leak might be slowing down already like Pablo mentioned. There isn't as much on the floor this morning. So i have almost an extra gallon of the Amsoil i am going to just keep topping up the oil and see if it stops. If it doesn't i will try the Maxlife again. If it still leaks with Maxlife then i geuss the gaskets and seals will need to be changed.

Pablo the reason i didn't order from you or any other dealer is because i am in Superior WI a few days every week. So instead of dealing with shipping i just pick it up at the warehouse when i'm in town. A few years ago i ordered from a local Amsoil dealer and had problems getting my package. The tracking number said it was delivered and left in my porch. I never did receive what i ordered. I just figured someone must have taken it since it was left in the porch.

you could try one of the liquid additives that reduce/eliminate oil leaks...

I think that they have polymers that "expand" and fill in the leaks or they help "expand" the seal material that is around the leak...

might serve as an interim fix until you are ready to replace the gasket/seal that is leaking

94Acclaim3.0 : Sounds like you have a good plan. Just watch the oil for a while and see what happens over the next few weeks. As long as you are aware of it, and check the oil so that it is topped up, there should be nothing serious happen.

What make, model & year is the vehicle?

Well guys i hate to bump this up but i wanted to update. The car has now stopped leaking completely. Not even one drop anymore. I checked the oil level to make sure i wasn't just low and it is full. So altogether it leaked out about half of a quart before it somehow fixed itself. It's kinda weird actually but i hope it lasts.

This Amsoil really made a difference. The engine is so much quieter now. When it idles you can't even tell it's running. It used to have a little bit of valve tick but it's gone now. Not too bad for a car with 157,000 miles! Also i know it's kinda early since i have only had it in for a couple days but my last fillup averaged 2 mpg more. With work i go through almost a whole tank of gas everyday so any little bit helps. Overall Amsoil is awesome!
smile.gif

I had a similar situation, Put M1 5w40 in a 91 cadillac 4.9 and it leaked like a sieve 2-3 ounces a day on the ground + whatever dripped while running.
I put castrol HM in it and its been reduced to a couple drops. I did want to say that oil on the ground appears much worse than it is.
Even an ounce can make a pretty big puddle.

Seems strange. Leaking and then stop leaking... Perhaps it is dirtiness floating around into your engine...
I propose for an earlier oil change this first time, just for cleaning issues. Then check again for leaking.

I'm curious if you used the Amsoil engine flush before putting in the oil? I'd HIGHLY recommend that for any high mileage engine switching to Amsoil. You'd be amazed at how much crud you can clean out with that first batch of oil if you don't use the flush first.

Using the flush will eliminate most of these change over issues....

TS

Amosil Engine Flush (AEF). I agree to this very low risk proposal!

But after the cleanup be prepared for a non-stop leaking. A problem is a problem. And any obvious engine problem should be fixed ASAP to avoid undesirable chain reactions.

Guess I sort of did an engine flush. I bought a 1996 Park Avenue with 147,000 miles on it and changed to Valvoline full synthetic 10-30. Ran for about 500 miles, dropped the oil and filter and put in Amsoil 5-30 100% FULL synthetic and new filter. It never leaked or burned ANY oil with the Valvoline, and doesn't with the Amsoil. Odd thing is the "check oil level light" would invariably come on as soon as you started it and drove just a few feet.. then go off. Runs great. Now to find a spot for a bypass filter.
Vern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back