Weird private-label tire names

My daughter is looking for a teaching job and decided to go economy on tires for her 200.

She ended up buying Waterfall Eco Dynamic in the 215/55R17 flavor from Walmart. They were free shipped to my house ($200 out the door for 4) so I can mount and balance when she comes over. They don't look bad, considering. The reviews were actually very good.
We'll see how they balance.
Interesting-
Mavis Discount Tire has received 53 tire reviews for the WaterFall Eco Dynamic. This tire has received a 4 out of 5 Star rating with 86% of the respondents saying they would buy again. Dry Traction and Noise Level received the highest marks and total mileage that as been reviewed is 296,857.

Bought some Accelera Eco Plush tires to replace the finally worn out oem Firestones that came on my moms 14 Chevy Cruze. Balanced out just fine and rode good for the 30 miles I drove it. Remains to be seen how they do over the long but she doesn’t drive as much anymore.

Bought 2 Achilles branded tires for the front of my Marauder. Have absolutely no complaints for the 1500 miles I’ve put on them so far.

First tire shop mentioned Falcon Wild Pig. I actually laughed out loud. Turns out it was Falken Wild Peak.

Would laugh if I ever saw:

RoadBlow

Beltshift

Out-O-Round

Last edited:
-Nankang
-Sunfull
-Semperit

I remember thinking to myself when Kumho came out, what kind of name is that?

Or even mainstream names like Nokian Hakkapeliitta, really?

Last edited:
-Nankang
-Sunfull
-Semperit

It's one thing to laugh at silly English names, but not so much at stuff that makes sense in other languages. Kumho is a Korean tire brand, and Kumho roughly translates as "Bright Lake" I believe? Or "magnificent" or something, I'm not 100% sure. Hyundai means "modern". Hankook literally means "Korea" in Korean. Nokian is Finnish, I don't know what Hakkapeliitta means, but "Primacy" or "Defender" probably sounds just as silly to them.

Why should tire companies based in other countries make tire names based on English words? Then we get stuff like "Thunderer" and "Multimile" and "Jetzon" and they'll get laughed at anyway.

Nankang is also a tire company that's been around since the 50s in Taiwan, you could do worse.

Last edited:
I have wondered what "hakkappelitta" actually translates as.
According to wikipedia,
"Hakkapeliitta (Finnish pl. hakkapeliitat) is a historiographical term used for a Finnish light cavalryman in the service of King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden during the Thirty Years' War (1618 to 1648). Hakkapeliitta is a 19th-century Finnish modification of a contemporary name given by foreigners in the Holy Roman Empire and variously spelled as Hackapelit, Hackapelite, Hackapell, Haccapelit, or Haccapelite. These terms were based on a Finnish battle cry hakkaa päälle (English: strike upon [them]; Swedish: hacka på), commonly translated as "Cut them down!" "

I bought a set of Phantom A/P branded tires for a beater car recently. Discount Tire house brand, made by Kumho. Rated 600/A/A with a 45k warranty. I expect them to last much longer than that, just did the second rotation at 10k and they all have ~11/32” left on them, started at 12/32”

They’re quiet and traction is excellent wet and dry. Superb for a $70 tire.

-Nankang
-Sunfull
-Semperit

Semperit is Latin.
semper it = (it) always works

Hakkapeliitta means something like 'chop chop' in Finnish. Also the designation given to a Finnish cavalryman of yesteryear.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's come up but there's a tire brand named Achilles. There is also Triangle Tires - the clearly coming evolution of tires.

May-Pop?

Seems like I’ve had some of those over the years…although now that I think about it, I don’t believe that’s a generic brand name so much as it was a general label given to the iffy used tires one tends to find when one is short on money and has to pass a state inspection.

Back