Weird private-label tire names

My stepson recenty purchaced a 2014 Honda CRV and it came with a brand of Tire called "Doral" look like decent tires, plenty of tread left and they had a 3318 manufacture date, but first thing that came to mind for me was the old Doral cigarette brand. My stepson said that Doral tires are made by Sumitomo.

The dealer replaced 2 of the OEM tires on my car with Westlakes. OEMs were still on the front, so I replaced them when I bought the car. Thought I might as well put Westlakes on it, as I despise mismatched tires. They're great in the rain, fair on dry cornering. They'll get a high-speed heat test tomorrow when I drive to Oklahoma. So far, so good at 3,000 miles. I just thought Westlake was odd. Sounds like a housing development.

GT tires is a big company-
GT Radial tires are manufactured by Giti Tire. ... Giti Tire operates eight manufacturing plants and produces a broad range of tire products, serving major original equipment vehicle manufacturers, auto service outlets, tire dealers and consumers in more than 130 countries worldwide.

Just because they are not popular here doesn't mean they are made in some backyard in a foreign country.
Huge in South America and HQ in Brazil, isn't it?

GT tires is a big company-
GT Radial tires are manufactured by Giti Tire. ... Giti Tire operates eight manufacturing plants and produces a broad range of tire products, serving major original equipment vehicle manufacturers, auto service outlets, tire dealers and consumers in more than 130 countries worldwide.

Just because they are not popular here doesn't mean they are made in some backyard in a foreign country.

I saw Giti for the first time on a loaner Tiguan I had some months back - I thought they were some junk tires slapped on this loaner. Researching they built a large manufacturing plant in either South Carolina or North Carolina and are the OEM supplier for the Tiguan. Still relatively new in the US market though.

I fitted a set of Roadshine tyres to a Toyota Estima today, cheapest tyres we could find. And some Laufenn to my daughter's Sirion. Laufenn are another Hankook brand

At the risk of being political but spotted at the local Ace...
C2B2EDC6-653E-40C2-B4C5-1593A0B78FB3.jpeg

My daughter is looking for a teaching job and decided to go economy on tires for her 200.

She ended up buying Waterfall Eco Dynamic in the 215/55R17 flavor from Walmart. They were free shipped to my house ($200 out the door for 4) so I can mount and balance when she comes over. They don't look bad, considering. The reviews were actually very good.
We'll see how they balance.

Back