Weird Price for Michelin Primacy MXV4 215/50-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
The are 2 tires for Michelin Primacy MXV4 215/50-17, one is H rated and the other is V rated.

Both has the same 60k miles warranty, UTQG 620 A A and weight at 24 lbs. The only main differences are max load, V rated is 1521 lbs and 1356 lbs for H rated, and max inflation pressure with V rated at 50 psi and 44 psi for H rated.

H rated is $24 more per tire than V rated at both Tirerack and DTD. Why would anyone pay more for lesser tire ?

Maybe they sell more of one than the other? Most 17" are V rated and most cars come with V rated at that size, so maybe people stick with that rating?

Are they made in different locations....USA vs Indonesia? There is a large, Michelin owned UniRoyal plant in Indonesia.

The V rated is probably an oem tire and may not even have the same tread compound or share any characteristics as the rest of that tire model(sizes). It may be a one off that's manufactured to the car maker's spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The are 2 tires for Michelin Primacy MXV4 215/50-17, one is H rated and the other is V rated.

The only main differences are max load, V rated is 1521 lbs and 1356 lbs for H rated, and max inflation pressure with V rated at 50 psi and 44 psi for H rated.

H rated is $24 more per tire than V rated at both Tirerack and DTD. Why would anyone pay more for lesser tire ?

Any chance the more expensive one has a hard ride so more people want the softer tire. I had a surburban with e rated tires and you needed a kidney belt. Next time I got a C rated tire and the ride was great.

According to Tirerack both tires are made in USA. I would buy V rated tire if both tires cost the same, in this case no reason to buy H rated tire for more money.

As this is spec size (V rated) for my 07 Accord I have noticed this previously when I purchased the MXV4's. As mentioned , supply and demand could be the reason for the difference in price.

In this case, I'd buy the H-rated tire if I had the choice. The V-rated tire comes with an XL load rating, meaning it may ride firmer than really necessary for that size. It's also likely that the V-rated tire will wear sooner, although they both do carry the same UTQG rating.

It is weird that the H-rated one is more expensive. Neither have an OE code for that size on Michelin's website, so it's hard to say which one may be an OE tire.

I'm with OP on buying the V rated tire if it has the same tread wear warranty. DT will give me an adjustment if I don't the warranteed miles out of the tire. V rated is spec for my vehicle, and while the ride may be firmer, I'm not paying more for the H rated tire. Same price I might consider it. Just me.

Vs are usually a softer rubber even though the warranties are the same, I'm wondering if the H's would last longer, but otoh V's would ride a tad smoother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back