2003 Acura TL-S tires... H vs V rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

That's definitely true. OE tires are tweaked to car mfg's specifications. Honda's main priority seems to be good MPG. They could care less about all other characteristics.

A lot of guys on the 2nd gen TL boards complain about the low traction from the OEM Michelins (not to mention the high occurrence of sidewall bubbles) - they do last a long time though and probably contribute to fuel economy.

My Expedia S-01s have a treadwear rating of 140 but after 30K miles they're still not even half worn. Maintaining tire pressure biased toward maximizing tire life and keeping the car properly aligned seems to make it easy on tires.

Originally Posted By: Blokey
My Expedia S-01s have a treadwear rating of 140 but after 30K miles they're still not even half worn.

Just goes to show you how useless that treadwear rating scale is, especially when comparing tires from different makes.

I had Dunlop SP Maxx tires a while back, 240 treadwear index. In 20k miles they were done.

True. There are a lot of factors that determine how many miles you'll get out of a set of tires. I had concerns about putting on a set of such low TW rated tires but I knew my car is pretty easy on tires and I figured I could get good wear out of the highest performance Bridgestone tires I could get.

Go to tirerack.com and check out the review of this tire... see the '00 Acura 3.2TL? That's me. This car is my daily driver (~35 miles a day) and I'm still running those tires, they still have plenty of tread.

My wife's Olds Intrigue OTOH is another story. Since putting the tires on my car, the Olds has gone through a set of Eagle ZR60s, Bridgestone Potenza RE750s and is now on a set of Firestone Wide Ovals and her car has about the same mileage on the odometer. While not high TW tires by any stretch, they're all >140.

Funny, seemingly regardless of tire brand and market niche, I almost always get close to 100x the treadwear rating. I had two sets of Michelin Pilots (rated 400) that gave me about 40,000 miles. The Michelin X Radials on my Chrysler are rated 740, and I'll probably get an honest 70,000 miles out of them (based on the rate of wear for the first 2/32"). I actually look at that treadwear rating more than anything to tell me how many miles I can expect to get.

Originally Posted By: SL2
Thank you for all the replies!

"H" rated tires it will be.

I think i am going to sears only because they offer a 0 APR for 6 months,(sears card) and i will pay it off with in 3 months, then i will pay no interest... VS the credit card with %8.99, also they seem a little cheaper then other places..

These current tires are really bad, just about at 2/32??

This car has a good amount of power to the front wheels, and is not all that heavy. With out the VSA on, the tires spin like no other, even while moving, if you floor it at like 15, they will spin, so i really need new tires...

The car will see just highway, an occasional wot run, or a quick turn here and there, but 95% highway.

Just so you know, i got 44K miles out of these current tires, Michelin Pilot HX..

Thanks!!

+1 The H rated tires will be fine. I had a tough time deciding what tires to buy for my Accord in the 215/50/17 size a few months ago.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago i went to sears and got the Michelin Primacy MXV4 (Grand Touring All-Season) Tires. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...tnum=15HR7MXV4P

It came to $966 for the tires installed & Aliment. I get a $60 Mail In Rebate from Michelin, also put it in the sears credit, so i got 0 APR for 6 months, So all in all not bad a all, $900 total.

I LOVE these tires, The ride is very quite and SMOOTH, No pulling, The traction is GREAT, i have noticed NO difference in handling. I highly recommend these tires.

On my '06 TL, it spun like the OP mentioned even from a roll. A set of summer tires in 255/40/17 on the stock rims completely cured it. I think it was faster off the line with a little spin before. Now it bogs.

Regardless of power, I want the best tires, something that will maneuver and stop well in an emergency situations. It's not just about the car being fast or not fast.

I had a water truck pull out right in front of me at 70mph, it was so close I wasn't wondering if I was going to hit it, I was looking for the best point of impact to lessen the damage to the car. I had the BFG G-force KDW-2 on the car at the time which happened to test the best in the braking test. I stopped in time with about 4 feet to spare and man was I glad I had a great stopping tire on the car.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
You noticed no difference in handling between worn-out tires & new tires? Any pressure differences?

I did, Better!, where the old tires would understeer going around turns,(Fast..) these tires just grip with no understeer. I have the fronts at 35PSI, and the backs at 32PSI.

I can now take the VSA off, and floor it off the line, and not even chirp a tire... I feel even as my 0-60 times are better, because of no spinning the tires, or having the VSA kick on, and kill my acceleration.....

Update!

Around 14K miles have been out on this car in the last 2 years... The front right one had a bubble last year,around 6-7K miles, took it to sears and they replaced it for $9!! i had to pay for just the mount... Tires still have 90%. no decrease in performance in ANY WAY. Tire wear is perfect...... what more can i say? A++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back