Are the tires the same at the dealer?

Ive noticed something on replacing a set of tires. My 2021 Tucson came with Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tires. however, I know the dealer stocks these tires, but on tire rack, this shows up:
  • Size: 225/55R18
  • DT Different Tread
  • Eco: Michelin Total Performance
  • Style: Blackwall
  • Serv. Desc: 98V Load Index 98= 1,653 lbs (750 kg) per tire
    Speed Rating “V”= 149 mph (240 kph)" style="outline: none; border: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: url("/images/css_elements/retail/icon-sprite.png"); width: 15px; height: 15px; top: 0px; bottom: 0px; cursor: pointer; margin: auto 0px auto 5px !important; background-position: -30px -1429px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;">
  • UTQG: 540 A A
Different Tread”….So do the replacement tires the dealer has in stock also have “different tread”? I was told one was specifically made for the mfg of the car, and the “different tread” was the replacement for any car it would fit. So, that being said, which tire would actually be at my dealer?

OE tires can be a spec tire built to the manufactures desires, slightly different in some ways + surely more $$$$$ + of course car dealers can use any proper fitting tire from any manufacture i would think + of course many dealers try to "buffalo" you into a costlier purchase as well as saying you must deal with us $$$$$

Agree with the above. Sometimes tires are built to spec for a specific application, sometimes OEM tires are "Off the rack."

Example of "Off the rack": Just bought the same Pirelli tire that was OEM for my Mustang at a local Chrysler dealer (the price was too good to refuse.)

Example of spec tire: Had to put front tires on a JD tractor I owned years ago. They could only be purchased through a JD dealer. Replaced them both with a "Non spec" tire for less money then what one spec tire would have cost.

I ordered new Michelins for my car from TireRack. I made sure that the tires were "BMW spec" tires. Auto makers work with tire manufacturers when testing pre-production cars. The tire companies then produce tires that meet the car company's spec.

I talked to a local tire dude, he stated the tires he sells are different than the ones put on at the factory (same brand, same model) hence where the “different tread” comes in.

Allow me to explain about OE tires:

I have NEVER encountered an OE tire that was an "Off-The-Shelf" tire. Even if it started out as one, the OEM's ALWAYS modified it so that it was different in some way from the "normal" tire. Sometimes it is sooooo different that it was a wonder that anyone could even justify it having the same name as the rest of the line.

Sometimes a tire manufacturer will have 2 tires with the same size and same name, and Tire Rack will distinguish those in some way. In particular, if the tread pattern is different, then they will use "Different Tread" to make sure everyone understands the tread pattern looks different than the photo.

I know of one case where 5 different tires with the same size and same name were available and Tire Rack designated each of these by what vehicle they came on and only one of those had a "Different Tread".

But typically, there is only one version available and it doesn't matter where you get it - It's the same.

Years ago when shopping for a set of Michelin Defender tires, for my wife's Outback, I noted a slight difference in naming, between the Defender being offered at Tire Rack and Discount Tire vs the Defender being offered at Costco and Sam's Club. What I learned was there was a very slight difference in the tread. The Costco/Sam's club tire had an extra sipe on the outer tread next to the sidewall.

I still don't know what that extra sipe was supposed to do. It's hard to imagine that Michelin would offer a superior Defender to one retailer, with those customers buying Defender tires from the other retailer having a tire that didn't perform as well.

I would not concern myself with the difference. Don't consider this tread difference in making your decision on where to buy your tires.

In my experience the dealerships I’ve worked at got their tires from the same distributors as most local tire shops. My cousin’s independent tire shop was getting tires from the exact same truck we were. As a Tire Pro’s affiliated store he was limited on which supplier he used which was ATD. We used ATD, ITD and even Dobbs as needed.

The dealership stocked what they sold, not necessarily what came factory on a vehicle. Fusion’s came with a Goodyear Eagle LS2 which was a very short lived tire, most customers hated them and we did not keep them in stock. If someone needed one or two to match up with an existing set we could have them at noon the next day.

Ive noticed something on replacing a set of tires. My 2021 Tucson came with Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tires. however, I know the dealer stocks these tires, but on tire rack, this shows up:
  • Size: 225/55R18
  • DT Different Tread
  • Eco: Michelin Total Performance
  • Style: Blackwall
  • Serv. Desc: 98V Load Index 98= 1,653 lbs (750 kg) per tire
    Speed Rating “V”= 149 mph (240 kph)" style="outline: none; border: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: url("/images/css_elements/retail/icon-sprite.png"); width: 15px; height: 15px; top: 0px; bottom: 0px; cursor: pointer; margin: auto 0px auto 5px !important; background-position: -30px -1429px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;">
  • UTQG: 540 A A
Different Tread”….So do the replacement tires the dealer has in stock also have “different tread”? I was told one was specifically made for the mfg of the car, and the “different tread” was the replacement for any car it would fit. So, that being said, which tire would actually be at my dealer?

Tyres the dealer orders come from whoilesale. They will be the same tyres anyone can get. BUT we always had some OE tyres in stock from people who wanted other whels/tyres on their new vehicle.

I wouldn't really want OE tyres though, they have terrible wet performance compared to regular.

Back