Time again for new tires. General altimax rt43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the Michelin Primacy MXV4 have served me well for the last 54k miles, and are down to 4/32nds. They would be fine if it wasn't mid February in upstate NY. I went ahead and traded them in for some General Altimax RT43s in 215/55/R16, H rated. They are pretty highly rated, seem pretty popular and Tire Rack seemed to like them. They lean toward the smooth ride side with good snow traction, which is what I wanted. The Ford dealer I bought my car from gave me a good deal, they price matched Tire Rack for me, so I got them for $90 each plus $20 each for mount and balance plus the disposal and tire fee. Total was a hair over $440 after tax, not bad at all. They are rated for 65k and so far I'm pretty happy with them. They ride smoothly like the primacys, are quiet. Dry grip isn't quite as good but these aren't super sporty not to mention they have a full 10/32 not 4/32 of tread. My particular size is made in the Czech Republic,

Ku7kjFo.jpg

V5la5Mz.jpg

INX9Eg2.jpg

dSkKhSc.jpg

Not bad for 3 years and 67k miles. Ready for another round :]

FZc2SMH.jpg

http://imgur.com/CwvUoSd

I also need to replace my pads and rotors, that will be happening next week. I waited a bit too long to replace the pads. More on that next week

Last edited:
Nice choice and have them on the Camry, 206-65-16s. Had the Ford dealer install them for $489 out the door. Plus they are Hunter balanced and includes free lifetime balance and rotation. They're not snow tires but very good all seasons. After 8k miles they are wearing very well, last inspection said 10/32s on the T-rated version.

Originally Posted By: car51
NickR: I drive like a old man and am lucky I got 71,xxx out of my front rotors and pads. My focus is a 2011

Well, from what the dealer said when I got the tires, I waited a bit too long. I was waiting for the squealing to start for the low-pad marker, but it never came. Apparently they are worn enough that the rotors are starting to become damaged. But again, more on that next week.

Made the same change you did Nick, from MXV4 Primacy to RT43 V rated. My size happen to be made in France, but many are made in US. My change was forced a little early because of nail puncture in unrepairable area and no luck finding a replacement MXV4 in my size. It wasn't going to be much longer anyway. Sorry to see the Primacy go, good tires.

That said, been equally pleased thus far (~4k miles) with the RT43. One difference, the RT43s have rim guards. As I see little or no curb action, not sure it's much of a difference.

I'm considering these for the wife's Honda CR-V in 225/65/17. The current tires are Yokohama Avid Ascends with almost 50,000 miles on them. My local tire guy is recommending the General RT43 or going with another set of Yokohamas. Everything I have read about the RT43's seem to be positive.

Originally Posted By: klt1986
I'm considering these for the wife's Honda CR-V in 225/65/17. The current tires are Yokohama Avid Ascends with almost 50,000 miles on them. My local tire guy is recommending the General RT43 or going with another set of Yokohamas. Everything I have read about the RT43's seem to be positive.

i put them on our 2013 sonata and really like them---I got the h-rated ones and really like them--- about 12k miles no problem---ordered from tirebuyer

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Made the same change you did Nick, from MXV4 Primacy to RT43 V rated. My size happen to be made in France, but many are made in US. My change was forced a little early because of nail puncture in unrepairable area and no luck finding a replacement MXV4 in my size. It wasn't going to be much longer anyway. Sorry to see the Primacy go, good tires.

That said, been equally pleased thus far (~4k miles) with the RT43. One difference, the RT43s have rim guards. As I see little or no curb action, not sure it's much of a difference.

I get a little nervous because where I live now is on-street parking with tall granite curbs. Gotta be careful from now on

Originally Posted By: klt1986

The Generals from what I read are better in wet and wintry weather, but I'm not sure how much wintry weather you have to deal with in Southern VA

Our RT43's are coming close to their end. At about 5/32's after 32k or 35k, around that. I'm not sure I will make it to DTD's Black Friday's sale. But pretty decent tire, quite happy between price and performance--much better than the Michelins it used to have.

Originally Posted By: supton
Our RT43's are coming close to their end. At about 5/32's after 32k or 35k, around that. I'm not sure I will make it to DTD's Black Friday's sale. But pretty decent tire, quite happy between price and performance--much better than the Michelins it used to have.

Since you may have some rain in summer you need minimum 3/32" for wet surface. We have less than 1-2% chance of any precipitation from May to October, so we are able o get the tread all the way down to below 2/32". One time I had my S2000 rear tires down to slick in summer and it was actually gave better performance/handling than full tread.

DTD may have some good sale before Black Friday, some holidays like Labor day, Memorial day, July 4th ...

Originally Posted By: supton

Do you know what the speed rating is on those? Since the t-rated version has a longer tread life warranty.

Pretty sure I have T-rating. Whatever was less than the "official" rating that the car "wanted".

But I bought from DTD and do my own rotations, so I don't expect any way to return for prorated warranty. Plus I would need to actually get down to 2/32's, and honestly, I don't want to. I'd rather pull at 4/32's and get new tires. We get plenty of rain.

OP, if you would have bought them during the last discount tire sale you could have got the same Michelin Primacy MXV4 for just under $500 after the mail in rebate. About $25 more than the Generals.

The General Altimax RT43 are highly rated right now.

I selected the mastercraft avenger touring lsr p215/60r17 from my research over the weekend for an all season tire. In hindsight I should not have picked up another set of rims so I could keep the snow tires mounted because the LSR reviews indicates they do well in snow.

Well at least I have them for full size spares.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
OP, if you would have bought them during the last discount tire sale you could have got the same Michelin Primacy MXV4 for just under $500 after the mail in rebate. About $25 more than the Generals.
The Generals are probably better, I'd pay more money for the Generals than a set of Michelins.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
The Generals are probably better, I'd pay more money for the Generals than a set of Michelins.

Well the OP said he was happy with the Michelins and also stated the Generals don't have quite as good dry grip. So based on that I wouldn't say the generals are better.

I have a 2002 and 2003 Honda Civic EX. They are absolutely identical. They both have new tires, one has Michelin Defenders and the other RT43's. The defenders are quieter on the road and have better traction in the snow. So if the price is the same I see no reason to get the Generals.

Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back