Weird oil smell and colour !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed my wifes oil in her 2 month old Kia Rio. I am planning to change it every 3 months regardless of low KMs. The car has 1288 km on it and as I was changing oil I noticed it smelt really gassy and looked greenish. She does small trips on city like maybe 10 km a day I am wondering between the short trips and the engine breaking in would it make the oil like that?? Should I just change it every 3 months regardless? Any suggestions on a reasonable oil for the Kia Rio 5 2008 ?

Short trips can cause fuel dilution.

What kind of oil are you useing?

POST 600! WOOT
happy2.gif

Could be a combo of break in and maybe some break in additive they added to the oil.

If you run a good Syn oil you can change every 6 months.

Mobil 1, Amsoil, Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline Synpower would all be good choices.

If you are changing every 3 months then the cheapest dino will do fine. Tropartic or Motorcraft or Mobil5000 will do just fine with a supertech filter.

Originally Posted By: aaxb970
Just changed my wifes oil in her 2 month old Kia Rio. I am planning to change it every 3 months regardless of low KMs. The car has 1288 km on it and as I was changing oil I noticed it smelt really gassy and looked greenish. She does small trips on city like maybe 10 km a day I am wondering between the short trips and the engine breaking in would it make the oil like that?? Should I just change it every 3 months regardless? Any suggestions on a reasonable oil for the Kia Rio 5 2008 ?

In your climate it's not unusual to get some moisture condensation in the oil, especially when the car is driven short distances and the engine doesn't get hot enough to boil off the moisture.

A 20-30 mile trip once a week ought to be enough. But keep an eye on it.

No suggestion on best oil.

Why are you planning of changing it every 3 months regardless of miles? That is a waste of oil, time and money. As mentioned earler you could run a good Dino and a Syn oil for sure every 6 months. The Syn oil could probably go a year at low miles.

I vaguely remember changing the factory fill out of my brothers 2002 Elantra some years ago. I remember it having an odd green hue and odor to it also.

I just noticed, the OP said the Kia only has 1288 kilometers on the odometer.

I would have thought that the original factory fill should not be drained out so soon.

If it was my car, I'd run a quality synthetic oil and change it every 7500 miles or so, regardless of time. Especially in the Ontario area, but probably everywhere else too.

It is possible that Kia puts a UV die in their engines during assembly to check for leaks before the engines go off the line and are installed. They may leave that oil in the crankcase since UV die in small quantities is generally harmless. It is also green under sunlight, incandescent light, and florescent light. LED shoplights really make the color jump out as well.

I noticed the same thing in my Malibu after I had the lower intake gasket replaced and subsequently changed the oil. The dealer had put die in it to try to find all the leaks.

I changed it so soon because of boardom. Also just wanted to put in synthetic when I saw the greenish oil. Also I noticed the Kia oil filter is built like a tank I should have taken a pic when I cut it open. It was the best looking filter I ve seen so far...I wonder who makes them? Thanks for advise!

I just noticed my horrible spelling. . . . the things having to fill in the graveyard shift on short notice do to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back