Weird experience returning oil at walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT...

I know of a person that bought a breast pump at Walmart, used it for a year, and returned if for a refund.

When I heard about this, I disassociated myself from the person and I really thought long-and-hard of taking my business elsewhere.

I'm getting hungry!
quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
I was just watching Larry the Cable Guy on Comedy TV. He said it's good thing those fat free potato chips come in cans because you'll need the can to crap in shortly after you eat them.

He also said to be sure and buy them at Walmart because you can take the can back for refund. When they ask you why you are returning them, tell them can's full of turds.

My ex-girlfriend worked in the customer service dept of the local Walmart and I just laughed at the horror stories she would tell me of the stuff people would try to return. Half used balls of yarn, cut fabric, opened goods and stuff that wasn't even bought at a Walmart! She would tell them "no" but they'd just complain to a manager an he'd OK it all the time...lol!

Here's one to wrap your brain around: A guy walks into Walmart, buys 5 quarts of M1 EP and 5 quarts of 89 cent SA rated compressor oil. He dumps the M1 into his car, refills the containers with the SA oil and returns them. Then some poor soul buys them and runs them for 15k!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
crushedcar.gif

Wal-Mart is in a no-win situation here. If the stores greatly restricted returns (which isn't a bad idea), people would complain loudly about that. It's obvious that the return policy is far too generous now. Another thread, if I recall correctly, said that returning used oil in new bottles to scam Wal-Mart is a common problem with illegal immigrants.

My previous employer, an electrical supplies wholesaler, had a new CEO in the early 1990s who told all the branches that henceforth the policy would be to allow customers to return anything for credit up to $200 in value, no questions asked. You wouldn't believe the nightmare we had with contractors returning material that we didn't stock. Some was even material from manufacturers that we never did business with. And, yes, sometimes the items were used, which is bad news for many electrical goods.

The rationale for the new policy was precisely that the big box retail stores had such liberal return policies. The CEO forgot how prone commercial contractors are to attempting scams. Don't know if this return policy still stands; I left the company not too long after that.

Liberal return policies, including allowing returns without receipts and allowing returns after indefinite periods, cost all of us.

By the way, just why are you buying oil from Wally's World in the first place? Ain't no GC, Royal Purple, Red Line, etc., there. Thank goodness.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekrampitzjr:
Another thread, if I recall correctly, said that returning used oil in new bottles to scam Wal-Mart is a common problem with illegal immigrants.

At least they're doing that instead of pouring it down a storm drain
shocked.gif

As far as liberal return policies go, Home Depot has posted signs in some of their locations that they are not accepting circuit breakers for return without the receipt.

I can't imagine why.

Things are getting tough! I guess we just take things for granted that people are honest, just because we are, well, most people.

I will have to open and look at my oil purchases from Walmart, unless it came out of a newly opened case that the staff opens in front of me. I hate to be that way.
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
Then to my surprise, the girl opened one bottle and started to sniff the oil. I said, "why are you sniffing the oil?" she said, "I have to make sure every oil bottle returned is actually oil"
lol.gif

I'm guessing she was a real bowser?

quote:

Originally posted by doitmyself:
This must be a Tennessee only, Walmart thing. I was passing through last year on vacation and had to return some underwear that were the wrong size. You wouldn't believe what the woman at return counter did!!!

Did she treat them like the oil bottles?
gr_stretch.gif

A big problem at the local walmart is the Fram airhog and K&N section.. I was looking at them and almost every box I opened had a paper Fram filter in it.. they simply put the premium filter in the fram box and walked out with K&N for $3.

quote:

Originally posted by car54:
A big problem at the local walmart is the Fram airhog and K&N section.. I was looking at them and almost every box I opened had a paper Fram filter in it.. they simply put the premium filter in the fram box and walked out with K&N for $3.

wow! I would have never thought of that one. Imagine some poor shmuck getting a fram air filter thinking it's a KN and cleaning it every 50k miles then screaming KN is junk on various websites
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by car54:

Is this why the $10 Fram X2 Oil Filters are shrinkwrap sealed? I was going to take a peek of one.

I wish M1 filters would do that. I find plenty of empty boxes at AutoZone.

Is Sam's or Costco any better? After all, if you need a membership card to shop there, you are less likely to shoplift? Right? They got you on file.

I worked at Lowe's part-time for a while, and the same type of stuff happened. Buy a nail gun, carton of nails, and return them later. Usually the carton of nails is only half full, the clerk at the return desk doesn't know the diff, and the gun is obviously used. They got the project done and didn't need it anymore. Buy a 5# box of screws, and return it half full for full refund. It is amazing what people will pull. Stealing goes on a lot too, sometimes they try to throw stuff over the fence and pick it up outside, or they take something out of a box or case and stick it in their coat. You find all kinds of blister packs in strange places in the store, someone emptied it & put it in their pocket. They have security cameras everywhere but they still manage to get away with it. You soon learn to distrust people in general. I heard of one store where an employee found some Case knives boxes and packing in with some lumber, then found the knives too, and then noticed blood on the floor. Followed it outside but it was raining. Guy used the knife to open some other stuff and obviously cut himself badly, dropped it all and ran. Served him right! I am generally a trusting guy but the things you find pulled when you work retail is truly amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back