Weeping Magnefine elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the Idea of these simple filters installed in the return line.

However, I am over them. I am sick of the weeping and occasional drip. I had one on my power steering return line I had to remove it got so bad.

I know there are a lot of Magnefine Knock offs yet still plenty of reports of the supposed non counterfeit brands weeping from the O ring seal.

I ordered a remote filter holder that has the same 3/4-16 threads as My engine filter. Derale 25709

I was planning on running a M1-301 filter. I know there are special hydraulic filters but the specs look no better than the M1-301, don't look better than a regular Wix:

http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/51622.html?

Will an oil filter be fine on the transmission?

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
I love the Idea of these simple filters installed in the return line.

However, I am over them. I am sick of the weeping and occasional drip. I had one on my power steering return line I had to remove it got so bad.

I know there are a lot of Magnefine Knock offs yet still plenty of reports of the supposed non counterfeit brands weeping from the O ring seal.

I ordered a remote filter holder that has the same 3/4-16 threads as My engine filter. Derale 25709

I was planning on running a M1-301 filter. I know there are special hydraulic filters but the specs look no better than the M1-301, don't look better than a regular Wix:

http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/51622.html?

Will an oil filter be fine on the transmission?

Every time I come close to pulling the trigger on a Magnefine filter I stumble upon one of these threads and scrap the idea, then look for another brand or idea. Some swear by them some swear at them. I'm sure a remote oil filter will do a much better job, it's just finding a location for it.

I posted about the ones i bought from Amazon weeping and caught a ration of $hit over it.
They must have been fakes and all sorts of silliness, no one is knocking off a cheap plastic filter IMO and Amazon certainly isn't selling fakes.
IMHO the magnefine is not a quality product, i tried them and gave them a fair shot. They are not worth my money.

AA had a nice metal unit with magnet and bypass for $10 but they stopped selling them, they sold it as vehicle specific and didn't sell many but it was 3/8 in and out hose bubble.
Too bad that was a real good one, i haven't been ably to find out the actual manufacturer of it.

You idea is a good way to go and an automotive oil filter will do the job fine. If you want a magnet use a filter mag.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I posted about the ones i bought from Amazon weeping and caught a ration of $hit over it.
They must have been fakes and all sorts of silliness, no one is knocking off a cheap plastic filter IMO and Amazon certainly isn't selling fakes.
IMHO the magnefine is not a quality product, i tried them and gave them a fair shot. They are not worth my money.

AA had a nice metal unit with magnet and bypass for $10 but they stopped selling them, they sold it as vehicle specific and didn't sell many but it was 3/8 in and out hose bubble.
Too bad that was a real good one, i haven't been ably to find out the actual manufacturer of it.

You idea is a good way to go and an automotive oil filter will do the job fine. If you want a magnet use a filter mag.

I caught a little heat too. I didn't buy into the counterfeit story either, it didn't make any sense to me. But it sure sounded like a great excuse.
27.gif

I still look from time to time for something other than a remote set up, and strike out.

What exactly are you trying to fillet, 1 trillionth of a speck of dirt? What do you think the manufacturer forgot?

Originally Posted By: zach1900
What exactly are you trying to fillet, 1 trillionth of a speck of dirt? What do you think the manufacturer forgot?

Hand in your Bitog membership card.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight

Hand in your Bitog membership card.

LOL exactly! It's not like I am going to be satisfied with factory advice such as "lifetime transmission fluid". Sorting out the snake oil from the useful procedures, fluids, upgrades and mods is why we're here.

The typical ATF remote mount uses a 3/4-16" thread for the PH8a equivalent.
For additional room, consider any of the smaller filters.... ph3600, ph3614, ph16...and the various Toyota, Dodge, Suzuki, Ford filters...

Almost any remote filter mount can be used... 22mm, 20mm, 13/16... just make sure you pick a filter PN that includes a bypass...

Stick a couple magnets on the filter, à la Filtermag, and have magnetic filtration too.

A full flow oil filter is pretty much a lifetime filter on an ATF circuit. Change it out every 20k-60k or 2-3 years for peace of mind.

Knockoffs and counterfeits are a great way to divert blame on a defective product. I will say that the Magnefine, and its knockoffs, don't tolerate stress from movement or hose weight. Its not a load bearing device. Fixed radiator + drivetrain movement turn an inline filter into a fuse...

Well there is the Wix 58964 in 5/16. It doesn't look to have a joint that can leak like the Magnefine does. They don't seem to have a 3/8" version though.

I put a Magnefine on the power steering return hose of a 1996 Dodge Intrepid when I replaced the rack assembly. It leaked. I showed the guy at Napa how it wouldn't hold a vacuum and he replaced it. I told Magnefine and they sent me free ones which I never installed.

Ive had two Magnefines on the PS circuit of the CVPI and both have been good so far. The ATF one leaks. I thought it was the hose. Might have a leaker Magnefine I guess.
Meh. Im not overly concerned about it. I lose about the same amount out of the rear seal on it. It just makes it so it changes its own fluid over time.
I was just looking at the Wix filter on Amazon. Someone wrote recently they had one leak at the seam. Guess we better make another thread to get riled up about that one too.

If you are trying to filter the absolute best, I have a Racor LFS transmission filter kit on the CVLX. Filters 8 micron nominal.

Yes an oil filter will be fine on transmission fluid. I would run a Fram Ultra over that Wix. The Fram Ultras have higher efficiency, 99%+ @20 microns and 80%@5 microns. Any size filter will do, the XG3600 is certainly over kill. The XG3614 is more than sufficient with plenty of capacity.

I was looking for the best location for mounting the Derale 25709 when I had the M1-301 threaded on, and decided that this filter is simply too big, too overkill.

I was thinking the Fram XG16 would be a good size and finer filtering ability, and the smaller size would allow for a cleaner install make for easier occasional servicing.

Yes I've seen the XG16 cut open, you can find some on the site if you search Google. It has a lot of media for how big it is.

You have tons of choices in this thread size

XG-16 does look like a well made filter. I will locate the Derale to accept this size filter, and will load the can's perimeter with strong magnets I already have.

My New M1-301 will go on my 318 next oil change and replace the Fl-1A on there now.

I'll have pics of the opened magnefine and the Derale install once I get around to it. Just don't hold your breathe as it will be a week or two, or 3.

I have 2 magnefines in service and they both weep. Neither failed catastrophically. In fact I just replaced one with 30k on it friday. their size makes them convenient. The truck runs a spin-on filter-- I went with a M1 oil filter since it was the right dimensions, and I favored the synth media since it will be run for much longer than a standard engine oil OCI. If I can find another inline filter that is sturdier, I'll ditch magnefine. There was a "normal" amount of magnetic sludge on the MDX drain plug still, even with the magnefine installed, which makes me wonder about the effectiveness of the magnefine. I kept the filter and hope to open it up soon to see if it caught much on the magnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back