Weekend / track car10w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car: 1995 Fiat Coupe 120k miles, 2L 4 cyl with Garrett T3 turbo. Has a thermostatically controlled oil cooler. 16v head has buckets with shims and double valve springs. Cam wear is a problem on these engines but mine are fine. I have replaced the big end bearings as they were worn, also an issue with these engines. The further away from the oil pump the worse they got. I think low oil level is probably the issue there though. Manual states bearings should have .025-.050mm (1 to 2 thou) clearance for a 50.8mm (2 inch) crank pin.

I don't really care what the manual states but if you want to know it calls for a “semi synthetic 10w40 that exceeds CCMC G5, API SH specification”. I’m sure that specification was only given to suit their oil, Selenia 10w40. I’m guessing by today’s standards this may have been a full synthetic. Selenia describe their oil as having 2 synthetic bases and 1 mineral to ensure optimal distribution of the additives. OCI was 1 year or 15,000km. The dealer never used this oil, they used Mobil Super 15w40 and Mobil 1 5w50

I do not do high mileage, maybe 5000km per year as it is a weekend/track car. Usage tends to be long drive in the weekend or drive to a race track, race around and drive home.

I'm currently using M1 5w50 because it's easy to get on sale but I think a stout 40 grade is sufficient. We don't get the same products as the USA so I'll list a few I can get.

10w40
Penrite Racing 10w40
Penrite Everyday 10w40
Amsoil AMO 10w40

5w40 high SAPS
Penrite HPR
Valvoline Synpower
Shell Helix Ultra
Castrol Edge
Rotella T6 (imported)

0w40 high SAPS
Mobil 1
Valvoline Synpower
Castrol Edge

I think M1 5W-50 is a good choice assuming you require an oil that heavy, of course your oil pressure will tell you that.
If you're not seeing high oil temp's than M1 may be more suitable or an optimized blend between the two determined by OP.

If you can get your hands on Rotella T or any other synthetic HDEO, it might be worthwhile. How much do you want to spend?

Penrite's 5w40 HPR 5 might do the trick as its LL-01/MB 229.5 certified so its a very good oil for the money. ($50/bottle) If you want to spend a little more, their 10/10ths Racing 10 would be a another alternative although I honestly don't think there's anything to gain.

That's exactly what I was thinking about the Penrite.

I can get Rotella T6 off ebay but it only comes in gallon jugs. I need 5L so that is a real nuisance. I can get M1 TDT too and in qts but I don't know much about that oil and I don't know if it would really be any better than 0w40

After rego and insurance an extra $30 a year or so on oil is neither here nor there.

I'm with CATERHAM on this -- use the oil pressure gauge to figure out what you need.

Something else to remember is that the heavier oils will also run hotter, and you'll also sap power as you go heavier.

Originally Posted By: Giorgiz
Mobil 1 0w40 or Pennzoil Ultra 5w40

Shell Helix Ultra on his list.
wink.gif

I'd give the Penrite 10/10ths a go. The base oils + stout additive package makes it very appealing. Its reasonably priced and can be bought cheaper than M1 0W40 and is around the RRP of the Shell Helix Ultra 5w40. As a bonus you'd be supporting a local Aussie company!

You do have to be careful with Fiat Twin cams on what oil you use. Fiat are very specific when they recommend 10w-40. On my data system at work when I look up your coupe there are no other oil options regardless of ambient temperature it just says

All temperatures
10w-40 Synthetic
API SJ / ACEA A3

Oil Pressure 5.5bar @ 4000RPM

Stick with that and, as has been mentioned before, use the oil pressure gauge before going off piste

regards

Hey People. I thank everyone for their input. I now need to buy something to top off the engine as it's getting low. The engine is drinking M1 5w50 a lot faster than the Selenia Racing 10w60, not that I care.

For my next fill I was set on Penrite Racing 10w40 but with further searching I can get 5L of Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 delivered to my door for the same price (cheaper than any Mobil 1). Any comments on which you would choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back