Weed trimmer brand

Hi folks..

With snow barely on the ground.. im already prepping for spring/summer chores..

I need a new weed trimmer for the cottage, straight shaft, so I can put a blade on and trim the mile long road-way.

I’m done with Sthil… not going there anymore.

I have a Husqy chain saw and a curved shaft trimmer which was inadequate for the cottage, it has been relocated for home use. They have served me well, the trimmer starting to bogg a little, but its 9 years old, maybe need a small adjustment.

I was thinking at another Husky, but I hearing good comments about Echo..

Looking for your thoughts and recommendations Plz

Cheers

J.
I have had good luck with the Home Depot brand Ryobi. It is cheap but it has lasted. I had a 2 cycle for about 7 or 8 years and I buggered it up by hanging it vertical on the wall. My wife bought me a 4 stroke Ryobi that same year for a gift and haven't looked back. The unit is about 5 years old and still going strong. Fires right up and idles great.

Another plus is all the attachments from the 2 stroke fit on this one. I have the string trimmer, blades, rototiller, pole saw and sidewalk edger. The only thing I struggle with is the pole saw and rototiller because the 4 stroke doesn't seem to turn the RPM's of the old 2 stroke.

Just my $0.02

I had a 2 cycle for about 7 or 8 years and I buggered it up by hanging it vertical on the wall.
This doesn't make sense. I used to hang dozens of them off of racks in my shop. Unless it fell down off of the wall and physically damaged it, hanging it in any direction won't hurt a 2-cycle trimmer. Some 4-cycle trimmers can be damaged this way, but not a 2-cycle.

This doesn't make sense. I used to hang dozens of them off of racks in my shop. Unless it fell down off of the wall and physically damaged it, hanging it in any direction won't hurt a 2-cycle trimmer. Some 4-cycle trimmers can be damaged this way, but not a 2-cycle.
I don't know... I researched it and it said not to hang units as this messes with the carb. Don't shoot the messenger please. I tried cleaning it and fixing it and finally said screw it a new power head was ~$100, so not necessarily worth my time.

Just my $0.02

I don't know... I researched it and it said not to hang units as this messes with the carb. Don't shoot the messenger please. I tried cleaning it and fixing it and finally said screw it a new power head was ~$100, so not necessarily worth my time.

Just my $0.02
The way that these carbs are designed they can be mounted, operated, and stored in any position. They do not have float bowls. Also, the manufacturers are using the same carbs on 4-cycle trimmers as they are on 2-cycle trimmers.

Just my $0.02
I've hung my 3 trimmers since 1997 and replaced one carb....I don't think it was because of the orientation....I also had to replace the rotting fuel lines on 2 of them.

I think a lot of it is who your mechanic is. FWIW I've rebuilt engines, was a helicopter mechanic in the service but my local small engine guy gets my weedeater, blower and saw running better than I ever could. Once he works his magic I never seem to have issues again. I'm thinking he must be doing something to the jets in the carb. All my equipment is Stihl.

Also STIHL is not a consideration as their service parts are too difficult to obtain at a good value. That is the only gripe. A coil that would cost $29 for an echo would be $89 / $99 for a stihl.
I really don't know about that. I have not bought that many parts, a couple of rubber grommets that had age rotted , for one of the early leaf blowers . took the 35 year old air filter for my chain saw to the dealer and he said not bad and blew it off , also a couple of other air filters. Always make sure everything is well lubed, like chainsaw bar, gearbox on my trimmers that are all straight shaft, ect. It all seems like it want's to last forever. I am honestly looking at overall service, quality of equipment, and as a homeowner I buy the lighter duty commercial grade stuff, as well as the quality of the dealer service.

I have the 26cc Echo and two of the smaller 21cc units. Huge difference between them. That 26cc unit is a dream to use. Gobs of power

Back