We just picked up a brand new 2022 Crosstrek Limited. Few Q’s y’all

Congrats on the Crosstrek. They are great, versatile vehicles. Little tanks.

I have generally changed the FF oil between 1k-3k miles depending on the vehicle. I do not think you have to change it early though. Most of the UOA's we see for factory fill oil always show higher wear metals, but they are not truly high (30-60ppm I'd say is around the norm on many engines)..... so, I don't think you need to worry about the oil for quite some time.

So many oil options. Any of the mainstream 5w30 options would work very well. As much as we obsess over oil, there really is little reason to be concerned with brand.

For fun: Valvoline EP 5w30, Mobil 1 EP 5w30, Amsoil SS 5w30 and Idemitsu 5w30 would be my top choices.

Same could be said for the trouble prone old Honda Accord AT IIRC.

Unless it's GOOD mid-sixies American iron, I don't get why anyone would want to keep something 250K +

We sure haven't come across any keepers in the past 50++ cars
My 2006 Silverado w/ a Gen III 5.3L is turning over 200K miles next week. Still love it. It has very little rust given we really don't use salt up here. Though, I will be replacing rocker panels, cab corners, and other minor bits -- repainting to keep it looking good and road worthy in the near future. The frame is practically rust-free -- I personally pressure wash the undercarriage during the spring and fall periods and don't mind getting a bit wet.

The interior is excellent, with the exception of a few grain-of-wheat dash bulbs and door speakers needing replacement the 2nd time over. I'll likely replace the Delco radio with a modern double-DIN Kenwood or Pioneer and their included backup camera.

All fluids and most basic maintenance is done by my eldest son and I. Synth fluids and greases are used all around, to include the occasional, intruding semi-synth motor oil OCI. They are changed on a severe or better schedule. Come to think of it, the front-end steering components haven't required maintenance yet. They haven't needed it.

Planning for another 200K miles. If you don't abuse them, they last. :)

It's cheaper to keep her... !

Last edited:
I bought a 2018 Forester new. Did the first oil and filter change a little less than 2000 highway miles. Mainly to make myself feel better.
Went with Castrol Edge and the blue Subaru filter. After the initial change, went to the 6000 mile change like Subaru suggested.

Did two Blackstone tests at the 6000 miles with 0W-20. They all came up clean and said try 8000 miles on the next change.
I did the 8000 mile run and Blackstone said try 10,000 miles next trip, it all looked good on the third test.

Now back to my conservative self, doing 6000 mile changes again. Just makes me feel better. Plus I am retiring and doing less highway miles. Oil and filters = cheap. Engines not so much. Just my 2 cents worth.

By the way, nice car!

I changed the engine oil and filter and front and rear differential gear lube in my 2021 Subaru Forester at 1000 miles. I used Amsoil SS 0W20 and a Tokyo-roki filter and Amsoil 75W90 severe gear for the differentials. I will change the CVT fluid at 10,000 miles. I did an oil analysis at the last oil change, still waiting for the results from Blackstone and then I will post them. I think it's a good idea to change the oil early if you have a GDI fuel system. I was a Subaru tech for 20 years, retired now.

Congrats on your new Subaru.

Run a full synthetic. There is no reason not to. Changing the break in oil is a personal decision. I do mine around the 1000 mile mark but many others run a full OCI on the factory oil. I feel better getting the break in metals out early on. It also gives you the chance to explore your vehicle understand get familiar with things. Use any major brand of oil according to the owners manual.

Drive it sensibly and you will get many years and miles of service.
OP don’t listen to this old wives tale. There’s literally millions of cars out there that run the factory oil to the full oci to no ill effect. If the OM isn’t telling you to dump it early, don’t.

If this isn’t ocd-like behavior, I dunno what is.

I’m trying to do the break-in properly by varying the speeds and going through all the gears. Yesterday I forgot leaving the light I was in manual 1st gear & accidentally revved the motor to 5k rpm 😬 All seems all ok though. I read somewhere I should keep it under 4k during break-in 🤦‍♂️

I’m trying to do the break-in properly by varying the speeds and going through all the gears. Yesterday I forgot leaving the light I was in manual 1st gear & accidentally revved the motor to 5k rpm 😬 All seems all ok though. I read somewhere I should keep it under 4k during break-in 🤦‍♂️
You should have a "Getting Started Guide" in your black pouch in the glove compartment. It basically says to be easy on it for the first 1000 miles. You should also have a "Warrant and maintenance" booklet. Oil change intervals are 6000 miles. Under severe conditions 3000 miles. Severe conditions are repeated short distance driving.

OP don’t listen to this old wives tale. There’s literally millions of cars out there that run the factory oil to the full oci to no ill effect. If the OM isn’t telling you to dump it early, don’t.

If this isn’t ocd-like behavior, I dunno what is.
Changing the oil early one time isn't OCD. Doing it at every oil change (1000 miles or whatever) would be.

My Spouse's 2019 Crosstrek Premium we changed oil & filter at 1000. All others at the 6K interval (so the 2nd change was at 5K). Subaru oil & filter as maintenance was included. At 22k now no oil used between changes. I keep an eye on the level after reading the horror stories on these 2.0L burning oil. Great little car IMHO. When I was working we built our own engines. Once built they would go to cold test then onto a dino. We drained the oil and cut every filter open for analysis. I'm of the opinion the 1st change should be before the recommended OCI. Most high volume plants only sample a small percentage of their engine builds. As we tend to keep our vehicles for a long time oil & filters are cheap insurance.

I made it to about 1500 miles before I changed First Fill on my Crosstrek. Time for ours to have the CVT fluid changed using severe service every 24000 miles (Mountains, yeah). Far as Start/Stop there are prewired pig tails you can get on Ebay that will permanently disable the Start/Stop. Probably next vehicle will not be a Subaru due to their DI system (Prefer D4S on Toyota).

We’re approaching 2k miles. I think I’m gonna change the oil. It will just make me feel better lol! Then I plan to do it every 5k miles afterwards as I do with the rest of the fleet.

Last edited:
Run 5w-30. The Subaru will prefer it
Yeah, I kind of regret not switching to it earlier with the Outback, the 5W30 does make it noticeably quieter. I'm sure most dealerships wouldn't care what oil they put in unless its 20W50... I recently drove a new Legacy loaner with the 2.5DI motor and it seemed a touch louder than my car on start up.

Yeah, I kind of regret not switching to it earlier with the Outback, the 5W30 does make it noticeably quieter. I'm sure most dealerships wouldn't care what oil they put in unless its 20W50... I recently drove a new Legacy loaner with the 2.5DI motor and it seemed a touch louder than my car on start up.
I'm running conventional 10w-40 in my 2.0 Impreza. Yeah it lost a little pep but it's quiet now.

That’s an awesome car. I want a Crosstrek in that color so bad lol. Either that or red. I’m a Subaru tech and since coming to this brand franchise I’ve gotten to love Subaru even though I never thought I would. I think you’ll be fine running the break in oil to 5,000 but do what you are comfortable with. Any good fully synthetic 0W-20 will work.

Haha I seen the battery joke on here this thread. Make sure you clean the battery and check on it periodically because Subaru does have a reputation for corroded batteries. Also smart choice on the engine. I would go with 2.4, 2.5 or 3.6 if going Subaru and that’s in any model. The 2.0 is good as well I just prefer a bigger engine. The 6 cylinder oil changes can get expensive though haha. Hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your car 🙂.

And make sure the oil filter is tight or otherwise you will know really quickly on a Subaru and it will be a huge mess same with the oil cap. Been there done that. Lol

Back