We got the 70' Beetle back - Restoration

Nice resto-mod. I drove bugs for 20 yrs. Congrats for choosing a real bug, not a superbeetle. Whats with narrowing front -end ? Looks be hanged, it must be skittish at speed. I used 195s all corners. Did you increase oil capacity and oil pump? Oh, any permanent fixtures in the "way back" should be fixed in place so it won't fly around during a roll-over. It turned my brother's friend into a quadriplegic when a bowling ball hit him in the neck.

Last edited:
My aunt's 1970 VW Beetle is finally back from it's restoration after being gone since last Spring. She originally bought it in early 2014 as a fixer upper, it was in decent enough shape to drive and have fun, but has sat around a lot. We wanted to fix it up ourselves but with busy lives we just didn't have time and lost the desire to do all that physical labor work. It had a cheap yellow paint job that was peeling on the roof causing alot of surface rust. It had some shoddy bondo work done as well. Mechanically the car was fine. It had the carb rebuilt last year and a clutch a couple years ago. Stock 1500 SP motor (to a 68'-69').

The car was stripped down to bare metal inside and out, all body work was corrected and completely painted. There was some customization done, more California bug style. The front beam was narrowed and it was lowered in the front a little bit. New shocks, disc brakes, new wheels and tires, bumpers, deck lid, pop out rear windows, running boards etc. The inside got sound deadening, all new rubber seals, carpet, headliner, door panels, seat foam and material, the dash was fixed (big radio hole), steering wheel, and the stereo. Speaking of the stereo, this thing POUNDS. I pieced together the stereo parts and didn't think it was going to sound near as good as it does. Rockford Fosgate speakers and subwoofer, PPI full range amp, Alpine deck with Bluetooth and mic etc.

First pic was it off to get restored

View attachment 82180

View attachment 82181View attachment 82182View attachment 82183View attachment 82184View attachment 82185View attachment 82186
That is simply an amazing job. Best looking on I have ever seen. Enjoy it.

Took a closer look... Moved the front turn signal lights to the bumper, old school theme interior and early model driver's side outside mirror.
Now I have to wonder about the engine...

Took a closer look... Moved the front turn signal lights to the bumper, old school theme interior and early model driver's side outside mirror.
Now I have to wonder about the engine...
Engine is disappointing :ROFLMAO:, just a 1500 Single-Port out of a 68' or 69'. Runs good though. Not sure what this new exhaust is, sounds good.

Very nice. I sold a 72 Super beetle that had been my grandfather's back in April. I first got it in 2007 and it sat until I sold it. It was from NY and was a rust bucket. I decided it was more than I wanted to mess with and one of the neighbors had been wanting to buy it for years so I finally sold it to him the last time he asked.

Definitely! This is more fun than the Tesla. It was restored in Prescott Valley. And yes, it will be garaged 100% of the time.

Next stop is to get it properly looked at by the insurance company to get classic car insurance. It has standard car insurance so on the books it's a 51 year old VW, not worth much.
Hagerty is your friend.

Beautiful resto-mod. Love the little touches like the yellow accents in the window winder lightening holes, that is good work...someone has a great eye. Needs a set of appropriate Coco Mats; Cocomats They even make a Southwest mat that looks the part.

Excellent choice in wheels; upgrade without looking too modern or out of place. Perfect.

Last edited:
Back