We found the "one", then walked away

Usually those enterprise rental ones are ragged anyway because when it’s not someone’s car they don’t care how they drive it. I’d go with a Toyota mini van they are really nice maybe look for one that’s a couple years old I have seen some at the dealership I work at and they are nice vans. Make sure to get one with a key though as the push button start is problematic on them.
Hmm, is it only the Enterprise vehicles or other rental companies also?

The price wasn't were we wanted to be or the trim line wasn't what my wife wanted. We drove and dissected each trim line. We keep our vehicles for ever and need to make sure it's "right" for my wife.
Wasn't the price and trim level disclosed in the ad or didn't you ask before going to check them out? That would be the first thing to check, otherwise you're just wasting time looking at ones you will never buy.

I have a Coworker with a similar Chrysler van, the transmission is an abomination. It has been reflashed blah blah blah. Its amazing Chrysler cant figure out how to make a decent transmission by now. Before we start talking about products from 50 years ago and how great chrysler torque flights were, remember this is 2020 not 1970.

There is a Dodge ram with an 8 speed in our fleet at work and its a stuttering shuddering mess as well. Reflashed blah blah blah- normal is what the dealer says.

Many would drive either vehicles and not notice the poor shift quality, and many have. It moves and shifts thru the gears and doesn't slip, whats the problem.

You made the right decision passing on Chrysler junk.

Wasn't the price and trim level disclosed in the ad or didn't you ask before going to check them out? That would be the first thing to check, otherwise you're just wasting time looking at ones you will never buy.
Maybe at that point they didn't know they didn't want that trim level. And far from a waste of time since it set a baseline on how a transmission in one of those vehicles is supposed to shift.

While I was searching (and searching, and searching) for the 2017 Sierra that I eventually bought, I drove a one-owner, bought new there, serviced there, and traded back in there Sierra at a GM dealership in Columbus, IN. Although the truck was 95% what I wanted, the transmission was an absolute dumpster fire. The 4 speed in my '04 Silverado performed better in every way.

Even though it was still under its bumper to bumper warranty, it was still a hard pass (that still wasn't easy to do). I'd never buy a used vehicle with such an obvious major issue, even with the attitude that 'the warranty would take care of it'. That could very well be the reason that the first owner threw in the towel... it had already been addressed multiple times... and was still rubbish.

Reactions: JC1
Your original post says you walked away from it. Or did you end up buying it after all? Or is this a different one you bought ignoring the advice here to avoid those transmissions? This is confusing.
I don't see advice in this thread about avoiding these transmissions? I'm not FCA fan but I haven't heard of issues with the transmissions in these vans. Am I missing something?

As far as the van he bought, seems pretty clear to me that he found a suitable one with half the engine hours and no transmission issues.

There is a Dodge ram with an 8 speed in our fleet at work and its a stuttering shuddering mess as well. Reflashed blah blah blah- normal is what the dealer says.

Many would drive either vehicles and not notice the poor shift quality, and many have. It moves and shifts thru the gears and doesn't slip, whats the problem.

You made the right decision passing on Chrysler junk.

I have a 2015 caravan and the transmission is fine. I used to be in the FCA is junk crowd.

When I bought this back in 2015 I decided to save a good 12-15k and buy this instead of buying a Sienna or odyssey. I had a 1998 Sienna that was reliable, but after a while things started breaking too. Rear AC and suspension parts etc.

I would never pay full price for an FCA product. If you time it right and they offer good incentives it makes for a no brainer for me. The Caravan isn't perfect, but it does what I need and has been reliable in the past 5 years. Only things replaced have been a bad gas cap and stabilizer bar links.

I think the blower motor resistor is acting up and a blend door actuator that I'll replace soon.

That's just an opinion based on 2 vehicles that guy had experience with, one of which has nothing to do with the caravan anyway.
That's just an opinion based on 2 vehicles that guy had experience with, one of which has nothing to do with the caravan anyway.

Sorry this board is glitching out like crazy. Could not quote Atikovi.

I looked at 3 that were ex rentals with around 30k-35k miles. The one I bought was in the best condition by far and had brand new tires.

The van stickers for 35k. I paid $17,200 + $500 SC tax OTD. No haggle, they matched my financing but I had to use their lender, easy process.

I think that if you divide the driven miles of the FCA mini vans divided by the number of vans sold and compare that math with Honda or Toyota you will see that not only do the current iteration of transmissions last as long or longer ,but if they do fail out of warranty, the cost is about half as much to replace as the Japanese minivans, especially the AWD Toyota. I am a serial owner of FCA minivans. They have known issues but I have never had a transmission issue starting with my first one in 1999, my second in 2005 or my current 2014. 50k fluid and filter changes probably had something to do with it. The '14 we have now shifts up and down hard when cold and is still a little firm when at temp. ECO mode exacerbates this characteristic. The first two vans are well over 200k miles with original drivetrains, 3.8L and the previous generation of transmission that got all the hate. The current generation transmission has not gotten near the press coverage as the earlier models. It has never been reflashed, never been to the dealer in 60k miles. I service and repair it myself. The "mechanics" at dealerships are 99% idiots. The one good one per 100,000 is hard to find. The OP should leave the FCA for others and get something good like a Ford Focus with the DCT or the current Honda DI engine that puts as much gasoline into the crankcase as it does the combustion chamber. Maybe a Subaru, flip that coin whether it needs heads or an engine before 100k miles.......see where I am heading?

Back