WDC police bikes- Harley/ BMW

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Working in WDC today and went for a little walk for a cup of coffee.

Came across two police bikes. A Harley Davidson and a BMW. Wonder what the plusses and minuses are for each bike working in a environment like WDC...

It is going to be a steamy day in WDC today. Feel bad for either cop having to be on a bike working in the heat.

PXL_20210713_125236449.jpg

BMW Police bikes are ordered with all the add-ons where as HD Police have to be up-fit upon delivery. The BMW bikes are more nimble in tight inner city settings. HD bikes are more expensive for upkeep. Our Motor Unit prefers the HD bikes. The ride (more upright seating), sound, and authoritative presence seems to be the deciding factors.

In the late 70's the police in Arizona Phoenix area had HD and MotoGuzzi 1000 Convert with the automatic transmission. (2 speed with torque convertor}. That was very convenient for city traffic.

Beverly Hills PD had BMW bikes and LA had HD. I guess the price disparity isn't all that great since these are the two of the more expensive commonly known brands.

BMW Police bikes are ordered with all the add-ons where as HD Police have to be up-fit upon delivery. The BMW bikes are more nimble in tight inner city settings. HD bikes are more expensive for upkeep. Our Motor Unit prefers the HD bikes. The ride (more upright seating), sound, and authoritative presence seems to be the deciding factors.
I'm sure they also like the larger and less restrictive seating area. ;)

In Scotts Valley, CA (Santa Cruz Mountains) there is a new electric motorcycle company, Zero. You see them all over; the local Police make good use of them.
Quiet, nimble and fast!
Zero Motorcycles
Light to lay down and pick up, so can deal with an offender better. Very quiet, can sneak up on a offender. Range normally not an issue in urban patrol. Not intimidating, can interact with the public much better, no offend crowds. Will not over heat in slow duty. The officer I spoke with loved his, way better than a patrol bicycle for most things.

I was in Hawaii in 2019 and saw a BMW mounted cop lane split at a red light to catch people on their cell phones, sure enough he caught a guy right next to me. Brilliant idea, he probably catches one every second red light.

A few years back I read a post about using BMW's VS Harley's for police duty. They tested them in New York for a year I believe. The findings were the Bmws were faster, cant see how that's a plus in New York city traffic. The didn't do as well in the curb jumping test. They blew out more fork seals then the Harley's did. They require more routine service then the Harley's did. The BMW dealer they used, didn't care if the bike was used in Police work, they had to wait in line like everyone else to be worked on. Parts availability was also a negative for the BMW'S. The Police dept had faster turn around for service on the Harley's. They also train the officers on Harley's for use in tight environment's and close quarters. They got dropped alot and took the hits without much to any damage. The can turn the Harley's on a dime, in spite what some may think. Plenty of video's that prove that on You tube.,,

A few years back I read a post about using BMW's VS Harley's for police duty. They tested them in New York for a year I believe. The findings were the Bmws were faster, cant see how that's a plus in New York city traffic. The didn't do as well in the curb jumping test. They blew out more fork seals then the Harley's did. They require more routine service then the Harley's did. The BMW dealer they used, didn't care if the bike was used in Police work, they had to wait in line like everyone else to be worked on. Parts availability was also a negative for the BMW'S. The Police dept had faster turn around for service on the Harley's. They also train the officers on Harley's for use in tight environment's and close quarters. They got dropped alot and took the hits without much to any damage. The can turn the Harley's on a dime, in spite what some may think. Plenty of video's that prove that on You tube.,,
yes. the BMW dealers won’t prioritize law enforcement bikes whereas HD does.

Working in WDC today and went for a little walk for a cup of coffee.

Came across two police bikes. A Harley Davidson and a BMW. Wonder what the plusses and minuses are for each bike working in a environment like WDC...

1 has all the pluses.
1 has all the minuses.
I'm pretty sure you can figure it out!

I guess the HD would have a few benefits over the BMWs, namely the long-term comfort of the seat & riding position. Yes the HD's beefy exhaust note and more intimidating presence probably helps when doing police work. Also there is something to be said about supporting the U.S. economy, but then... with most companies being global nowadays, I can't say the BMWs are entirely foreign anyway. The BMW bikes are more reliable, more efficient, more maneuverable, more durable, smoother running, etc. Personally I would want a Honda Shadow for patrol work, it has the best of both worlds.

Back