WD-40 Extreme Pressure Grease....junk?

Hey guys, bought a new grease gun and loaded it with a tube of WD-40 Extreme Pressure grease. I store the gun in the bottom drawer of my tool chest, and the drawer ended up with a layer of sticky red liquid coating it after a month or so of storage. I cleaned up the mess & hung the grease gun on the wall, and I now have a red puddle on the garage floor. It's liquid...not gooey or thick. My garage is vented, it's not getting more than 90 degrees in there during the day. This is not normal, correct? I have never seen liquified grease drip out of a grease gun before. Is this grease junk?

Base oil & dye not being held within the thickener. Seems like a bad batch or bad formulation. So many products on the market with a Brand Name and nothing to back it up. WD-40 toll blends everything, lowest manufacturer who bids wins. In most cases its fine, in some its not.

Base oil & dye not being held within the thickener. Seems like a bad batch or bad formulation. So many products on the market with a Brand Name and nothing to back it up. WD-40 toll blends everything, lowest manufacturer who bids wins. In most cases its fine, in some its not.
Glad I didn't put it anywhere important. I squirted the new ball joints on my '85 Laser with it, which I later sold. It suppose it's making a mess on someone's storage shop floor about now.

Taking what you said into account, I guess I'll go home and squirt the remainder into some sort of container, clean the gun and put something better in it....or leave it empty, since nothing I have in my garage now has a single zerk on it.

Oddly enough.. i am dealing with the same situation on a tube of -red- grease... i need to keep the gun up side down on a rag or all the red liquid seeps out..
Now this is real old grease, maybe a decade.. probably a Motomaster brand from CDN Tire...
And add a -new to me- Merc 9.9 outboard, i have a new tube of marine grease... i was sorta looking to get another gun, but thinking of ditching the old grease and use the marine for everyting..
j.

I keep three grease guns. One is loaded with Motomaster Marine grease for the trailer bearings. One has Motomaster Formula One synthetic grease ( made by Citgo) for my truck’s suspension components and a third gun with white lithium grease for the outboard lube points. ;)

I don't think it's uncommon for the lubricant to separate from the carrier with greases.
Especially if stored in a grease gun under spring pressure.

Mobil 28 doesn't bleed out of my swashplate or the tube it came in but will leak out if I leave it under pressure in the gun.

Back